M4: Under the Volcano [Nimisgod judging] -CONCLUDED

Manzanita

First Post
The resourceful band retreats from the room and pulls the rope using Mordik's extention. It's a bit tricky pulling it at the angle, but eventually the party feels a release. The rope comes down several feet and the floor drops out of the room, leaving a 30' by 50' pit. Some liquid glimmers in the pit in the dim light. The formerly secret door on the other side of the room bangs open, revealing an empty corridor 30 feet away from the party and separated by a 10 foot deep pit.

rln

Explorer
"I hate it when I'm right... This place was obviously designed my a madman."

Ogrin looks for any way over to the other side that doesn't involve swimming.

Velmont

First Post
"What is that liquid in the bottom of the pit? I can't see from here. Is it water?" Rinaldo take a look at the liquid. If he can identify it, he will take Nurlan's rope that he will attack to something (his rod if nothing present itself) and lower himself cautionly to identify it.

jkason

First Post
Eanos, human monk

Eanos raises his eyebrows and thanks Rinaldo's cautiousness as the trap floor opens. As the merchant looks to identify the liquid, Eanos suggests, "If we trust the knot enough, we might be able to swing across using the very rope that opened the trap. Or--" here the monk turns to Mordik, "maybe that grappling hook of yours might be of use with another's rope?"

Knight Otu

First Post
rln said:
"This place was obviously designed my a madman."
"I concur." Ashnar says, having entertained much the same thought. "And whatever that liquid is, we ought to take the same precautions as we did with the goo in the lightning room. No live testing."

Erekose13

Explorer
"Hm, I wonder if there is anything living down there. That would be a horrible trap if some monster were also let loose in the pool when the victims fell in. Do we even want to check. I think swinging across might be the best course of action." replies Tenebrynn.

Velmont

First Post
"I would guess it isn,t water that is in the bottom. An acid bath would be just as bad as a monster, even more, as you don't need to feed your acid and it touch everyone, not one at a time.

It is deep enough for swinging, but there is one problem, we don't know if it can sustain our weight and also, the rope won't come back the other side alone. We need enough weight so the rope have anough tension to keep balancing back... we have two ropes. Great! They are both 30 feets long? we could attach both, once the first have passed, we can pull the rope to each side. So we will be sure it won't find with people on both side and a rope in the middle, out of reach."
says Rinaldo, drawing something in the dust of the ground with the tip of his rapier.

Code:
   x__  |  __x 
_____ \/ \/______
    |      |
    |______|

x    = People holding the rope
__
  \/ = Rope attach to the suspended rope

jkason

First Post
Eanos, human monk

Velmont said:
"we have two ropes. Great! They are both 30 feets long? we could attach both, once the first have passed, we can pull the rope to each side. So we will be sure it won't find with people on both side and a rope in the middle, out of reach." says Rinaldo, drawing something in the dust of the ground with the tip of his rapier.

"Seems you've solved the problem of guaranteeing we'll have the rope to grab, Rinaldo," Eanos says, then quirks up his face. "Now there's just the question of whether it will support our weight. Perhaps if someone has an especially heavy pack, we can tie that on and test it out? I'd offer mine, but the haversack's designed to stay light, so I don't think it would help."

Velmont

First Post
Rinaldo di Senzio, Human Trader - hp:22/34

"No need." Rinaldo take the end of the rope already attach and gives it to Razh. "Keep that in hand." He attach the other rope around his waist and an end at his rod. He extend his arm and push the button. The wand stays in the air at sixteen feet over the water and thirteen feet from the center of the pit. (Which mean two from the border where they stand.) Rinaldo adjusts the rope so there is around thirteen feet of loose between him and the rod. "I'll do the test. Just get ready to pull the rope when I ask for it. If the rope is not strong enough, I will fall but the rod and rope will prevent me to fall into that liquid. I'll just need to pull myself up again. Any protest before I go?" Rinaldo prepares himself to jump.

If there is no protest, Rinaldo will swing himself and he will be stop by the rope attached on the rod. From there, he will try to pull the suspended rope down to test it solidity. If all seems correct, he will ask his group to pull himself back on the edge. He will then take back his rod and attach the rope around his waist to the suspended rope (leaving 5 feet of loose in case he loose his grip in the swing) and swing himself on the other side. From there, he will untie the rope around his waist and then all will be able to pass, people on the dege pulling the rope if the swing is not enough.

If the test fail, the rope attach to the rope should stop Rinaldo fall at around three feet before touching the liquid (and maybe hit the wall with that :p ). Rinaldo will simply have to pull himself back up and take back his rod and find a new way around.

Last edited:

Erekose13

Explorer
"Sounds like you got it all in hand Rinaldo, some solid planning again. I'm ready to help pull you up if need be." says Tenebrynn.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases