M4: Under the Volcano [Nimisgod judging] -CONCLUDED

jkason

First Post
Eanos, human monk

As Razh collapses, Eanos looks to those who speak Hogarth's language.

"If the priest has any more spells, Razh surely needs them first. I'll check below for potions,"

So saying, he moves below, looking for both potions and, vainly hoping, the party's gear.

Velmont

First Post
[SBLOCK=OOC]Rinaldo ask twice Hogart to heal Razh, so I suppose he will do it. He has more than a spell left. I would be interested to know if our stock have been brought aboard, if not, Rinaldo will search the stock on the pier. If he find it, good thing, we can go back on the continent. He doesn't mind to bring one or two adult goblin and as many kids as they can, the adult taking care of the kids once they have reach the continent.[/SBLOCK]

Manzanita

First Post
The battle is over - I'm not going to worry too much about HPs at this point. There is no one else on board. Through the hatch the party finds several hammocks, and a good store of food and water. They also find the two black chests which contain all their belongings which were taken from them that morning.

There is one more chest, iron bound with a large padlock keeping it shut.

Hogarth sits at the end of the boat & watches the rest of the island get covered by lava. As darkness falls, the island is still visible. The volcano shoots of sprays of hot red lava, which light up the sky. The molten rock glows red as it slowly oozes to the ocean, and erupts in steam. Gundar's vengence is complete, and surely no living creatures could remain alive in that inferno. The landscape will be completely different.

"A new temple will be built." Hogarth tells them quietly in goblin. "Gundar's clergy will come. They will be called. The new temple will be greater than before, and no wyrms will disturb the peace. But for me...I have nothing. I will go with you to your lands. But I know not what I will do. You have accomplished the impossible. Naked, you have escaped the caverns beneath the island. You have outrun the lava, overpowered the Dragon's favored child, and escaped with his treasure. Surely Gundar's blessings flow through you. I am only sorry I could not save your friend. He was already dead when I reached him."

Erekose13

Explorer
"Gundar's vengeance certainly is spectacular. Thank goodness Causticus had our gear here. I really wish Frump were on board too, though that might have been much more difficult to deal with. If I ever run into him again, I'll gut him for double crossing us. We will have to see about raising Nurlan as soon as possible." replies Tenebrynn as they sail towards Monemvassia, traitor to the crown in hand.

rln

Explorer
Ogrin drags aboard any goblin that manages to swim to the ship, but will not turn back to give further aid. If they can swim, they're likely at home with the sea and may know a bit or two about sailing, which may be needed. If they do know how to sail, he puts them to work.

When things have calmed down a bit, Ogrin (and I guess Rinaldo) takes a look at the locked chest. First of all he looks through the Viscounts body for the key. If he doesn't have it, they'll have to do it the fun way.

Ogrin also gets rid of the stinking leather armour, and cleans up.

[SBLOCK]Search chest for traps (1d20+9=14)
Disarm chest if needed (1d20+6=10)
Taking 20 for open lock = 27.

As for treasure, don't forget that the ship itself ought to be worth some - a keelboat with a square sail is typically about 3000 gold, and this one's in fine quality to boot... A keelboat has a crew of 8-15 and can carry 40-50 tons of cargo or 100 soldiers, by the way. [/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post
Rinaldo is sitting and stare at the island, who is dissapearing under the lava."I don't know if Gundar's blessing flow through us..." says Rinaldo in goblin, looking at Nurlan's corpse. "But one of us will need a miracle from Gundar or another god. Nurlan's have been a great man, and I am quite sure that at least Phyrah will agree with me. I hope I'll hear him tell a story again. Salvador would be sad to not here him again, that I am sure."

Rinaldo stands up. He tells in common "But I am still concern. Frump might have escaped, and the dragon too. I don't think Frump will carry there foul quest to the end, but the dragon might find a new pawn, after loosing her child." Rinaldo removes the hobgoblin armor and throw it on the deck, he removes his clothing and takes some see water and start to wash himself. "I'll need a bath to remove all that salt. My hairs start to be itching." He moves to the chest and grabs his clothing and put his hat on his head. "So fine to retreive it." and take a rod out of the chest. "I found those two items in the remaining of a circus caravan who had be destroyed by there freak show... I didn,t knew how much it would come to my help."

Rinaldo finish to put all his things. He tell in goblin "Hogart, we will find you some more decent clothing once we have reach the land. After that, it is up to you. The world is large, and there is many thing you can do. but first, I'll have to teach you the common tongue, or you might have difficulty to understand the inhabitant of Monemvassia and Orussus, or any other region you might go. Common is not talk by everyone, but it is surely the most common language.

For me, I don't know yet what will happen. I'll have to go back to Orussus. And set my things, as I might end with a new store in Monemvassia. But once thinsg have settled, the road will call me again. Hogart, if you want, you can come with me, until you find a new quest on your own."
Rinaldo see Ogrin looking at the chest.

"Ogrin, wait a second." he tells in Common. Rinaldo takes from an inner pocket a set of nicely made thieve's tool. "I start to be quite familiar with all that, we are not in a hurry, don't rush your search for trap. Here..." and Rinaldo help Ogrin in opening the chest.

[SBLOCK=OOC]Rinaldo should be the leading character for the search of trap, as he has the best modifier in each skills. I suggest Ogrin to help another to give a +2 every time it is possible. On every check, Rinaldo will try to take 20 if possible.

Search: 21 or 30 if taking 20 and +2 with Ogrin help.
Disable Device: 28 or 32 if taking 20, +2 with Ogrin (On IC, I forgot to add the tools bonus)
Open Lock: 27 or 32 if taking 20, +2 with Ogrin (On IC, I forgot to add the tools bonus)[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

jkason

First Post
Eanos, human monk

Eanos re-equipped himself silently and quickly, letting Rinaldo and Ogrin study the chest. He moved back up on deck, then, looking out at the sight of the island's fiery death. He scanned the skies, hoping that the dragon had been caught unawares, before it could fly off.

"Our mission was to end the conspiracy. If we don't know the dragon's final fate, have we fulfilled that?" he wonders aloud.

Knight Otu

First Post
"And so it ends." Ashnar says looking back at the island. "Did we aid a god in his vengeance? Or were we mere pawns all along?" Ashnar closes his eyes. "Back in Otun, my family has the undeserved reputation of being 'defiant to all gods.' The whole family, from my parents to some far ancestor whose deeds started it. That is why I was sent to be trained in the local temple. Hah. The ironic thing is that the local temple isn't dedicated to a known god, but to a forgotten one. Few of the priests were actually capable of performing miracles, and they weren't particularly organized. They belonged to different faiths even. The others were simply amateurs who had learned to use healing wands. Not an easy task, to be sure, but they made it sound even grander. These facts certainly helped when I discovered my true Duty, and my calling as a wizard. My family accepted it, but I am still sworn not to use their name until I cleared it. Until I have proven I am not a godsfoe. And in the service of Monemvassia, what happens? I die having to fear that I defied a god, and after that, we might be considered having helped another god. In a small way." He shakes his head. "And in the process, we lost Nurlan, couldn't get Frump, and are uncertain if the dragon survived."

Velmont

First Post
"If it was me. No. But we have striken another serious blow to it. We have deeply wounded one of there tools but removing the hand from Three Rings and breaking the link between it and Causticus. We have killed Causticus, who was the acting head of this conspiracy. The dragon might be death... I think the best way to know, is to ask Gundar itself, through one of his follower, if the dragon have died. I talk to it to Vossinger." answers Rinaldo to Eanos.

As Ashnar start to talk, Rinaldo fell silent. Never he had heard before Ashnar talking about his past. It was a surprise to him but he doesn't show it. "I don't know who pulled teh string. Hogart tells we have Gundar's blessing to haev acheive what we have done, you tells we are pawn. I prefer to see myself as what I am, a man who wish to make this land a better place for his children. Frump escaped, but I think, now his master is dead, he will hide and make his own things... But teh dragon, if she is alive, might be a problem to Monemvassia."

rln

Explorer
To Rinaldo: "Hey, feel free. Just don't blame me if there's a poison needle in there that you missed. Let me help you out at least." (Consider Ogrins rolls above are for aid another instead)

Later, while discussing the events with the others: "Oh, I'm certain the dragon has survived. Slippery reptiles, they are, according to the stories. If we're lucky, her spawn burned with the mountain, though.

Mongrel teaches that no man is better than the man beside him. Help him, and you help yourself. That's enough of a philosophy for me. I don't meddle much in the affairs of other gods, and they don't meddle much in mine. That I know of, at least. As long as it stays that way, I'm sure both sides find it satisfactory.

As for succeeding in our quest or not... we took care of the Viscount and certainly put stone in the cogs of his and his mothers machinations, if not even ended them. Sure, we did not take care of his mother; however, noone said his mother was a dragon... and I'm certainly not going up against one for a measly five hundred gold."

Last edited:

Remove ads