Clutches of Evil - IC: Chapter Two

Nonlethal Force

First Post
[Sblock=Reconstituting what’s happened… ]
Catching the game back up to where we left off...

Of course the players know this, but in a few months the crash will be long forgotten. Thus, this Sblock represents a marker indicating a 4+ month long playing period that needs to be reconstituted. What follows in the next few posts is that reconstitution. Unfortunately, to get the game up onto its feet in the quickest possible manner I'm going to post it as such without adding color to the text. Hopefully these records will suffice! Let me know if there is anything I can do to them to make them better.[/Sblock]

Sensing the party ready to begin their quest, Pater Braachus reaches under his desk and lifts up a small satchel that has obviously been prepared for several days now. Opening the satchel and removing the items within it, the party can see 8 potions and a scroll case. Once the items are all out on the pater's desk he speaks, "The 5 light blue potions are potions of healing. They are minor - but they may be of use to you. The white potions are potions which will give you the temporary effect of a shield. The remaining pink potion is a potion that will protect you minorly from attacks of the most dire evil."

[Sblock=Potion specifics]Pater Braachus is donating 5 potions of Cure Light Wounds, 2 Shield of Faith (+2) potions, and 1 potion of Protection from Evil. [/Sblock]

Lifting the scroll case off of the table he demonstrates how to open the case by flipping open a latch at the end. He continues, "Inside, you will find 8 scrolls. Three of the scrolls contain divine words calling upon Heironeous' blessing. 2 of the scrolls call upon Heironeous' voracity. The final two scrolls will provide you with a magical fog that you may need to call upon if you need to hide for one reason or another."

[Sblock=Scroll Specifics]3 scrolls of Bless, 2 scrolls of cause fear, and 2 scrolls of obscuring mist. [/Sblock]

Once the party leaves and makes and final purchases before heading overland, they find that it would seem as though Fharlanghn, Yondalla, and Obad-hai all seem to favor the party as they have moderate traveling weather. The nights are overcast, enabling them to keep their camp hidden easier as well as keeping the nights warmer than normal. The days are are typically clear, enabling the sun to beat down upon them and drive the chill of the early spring air away. The party is able to cross overland all the way to their destination on the third day of travel.

Oddly, the party didn't run across a single adversary. Sure, they saw the occasional wolf, fox, and deer. Yet even though they traveled through Lizardman territory they managed to continue to pick trails through these areas that did not lead directly into villages and thus were not guarded by the lizardmen.

As the party reaches the far northern part of the Kingdom of Barghost they have several choices before them. As they walk, they notice that the land becomes significantly more mountainous. It becomes more and more difficult to walk anywhere except the beaten paths and roads. Of course, given that this is the region where the majority of the king's ore comes from this is not particularly surprising, either. As the party walks through the mountains, periodic caves can be seen.

Post by Jkason
Byntrou surveys the land, Delcoi scenting the air on his horn. He seems oddly serene outside like this. But his reverie is broken when he speaks.

"The pater said there was a temple in Hemlock where we might find aid and information. I would suggest we head there first before entering Dullstown proper. We can set up whatever means of relaying messages that we decide upon, which I suspect will come in very handy if we have to send said messages in a hurry."

Post by Unleashed
“Sounds like a good idea, though I doubt a message system will be necessary...I’m sure we’ll be able to find reason to visit when we have information,” Keryth adds, thoughtfully, “Though we should introduce ourselves, so they know we’re here, and get a better idea of what’s going on.”

Post by D20Dazza
"That would appear to be the most prudent course of action petik" Bahruul says to Byn.

Turning to Keryth he continues "And introducing ourselves to the locals so we're not mistaken for bandits also holds a cetain appeal'.

Post by Nonlethal Force
The temple of Heironeous is rather easy to find in the small town of about 1,200 people. As one might suspect in a mountainous region, the town seems to have a disproportionately high number of dwarven residents. There is a small commodities store which seems to sell simple things like mining clothes, gear, and rations. There are a few temples around the town - each of them small. Moradin and Heironeous are the obvious ones of worship, but it seems as though there are other deities worship more discretely. A bathing house exists in the town as well, seemingly taking advantage of some of the hot springs in the mountains. Beside thes locales, the rest of the buildings appear to be residences. There does not appear to be a tavern or even an inn in the town.

The temple of Heironeous appears to be a rather small temple - even compared to the small temple in Great Bend. For the most part, from the outside it seems to be like one large area for communal worship and an office or two in the back.

Opening the doors and stepping inside reveals that these suspisions are true. The inside of the building is indeed one large worship area. There is a large symbol of Heironeous engraved in the floor and a mirroring image in the ceiling. Wooden kneeling blocks are strewn about the room and along the outer walls there are shelves to indicate positions for prayer. On the far side of the temple there are two doors, the one in the right corner is open while the one in the left corner is closed. As the party enters the temple a woman comes out of the open door. She is dressed in shining breastplate armor and has a longsword at her hip. Placing a single hand on her hilt she adds, "Welcome, strangers. I am Chiandra. What business do you have with the Temple of Heironeous at Hemlock?"

She does not have a helm, but her golden blonde hair is twisted into a single bun on the back of her head. She has green eyes and a small delicate nose.

Post by jkason
As the party approaches town, Delcoi falls back into Byn's robes, out of sight. The bous notes the bathhouse with some interest, but keeps his focus as they approach the temple. His usual discomfort with gods is evident in the worried look he gives the mirrored symbols on the horizontal surfaces, and the small start he makes at seeing the armored human.

Byntrou puts his best smile on as he approaches Chiandra. "I am Byntrou of the winding river," he says with a slight nod of his head. "My companions and I come by way of Great Bend, sent here at the behest of Pater Braachus on ... church business?" As he asks the vague but leading question, the bous raises an eyebrow and looks to each side, indicating the open and public nature of their current surroundings.

Post by unleashed
“Greeting Chiandra, I am Keryth, and as my companion here has said we have just arrived from Great Bend, and thought we would pay our respects.”

Post by Nonlethal Force
Chiandra smiles and relaxes her face, although she keeps her hand on the hilt of her sword. "Church business and paying your respects, huh? If you don't mind me saying so, I find it highly unlikely that you venerate Heironeous. No offense, but you all do not look like the Heironeous types. Of course that does not mean that you are not welcome, of course. How may I attempt to help you - or have you come to find sanctuary and meditation?"

Post by jkason
Byntrou looks to his companions with puzzlement, then turns back to Chiandra. "No, I worship no god at all, if you must know," Byntrou admits flatly. "When I say 'business,' I mean just that: we've been hired by the church. Pater Braachus lead us to believe we'd be expected, and that you would know the mission on which we were sent. Has there been no word between here and Great Bend?"

Post by unleashed
Keryth returns Byntrou’s look of puzzlement with one of his own, thinking that what he was going to say to Chiandra, before Byntrou first spoke, would have received even less acknowledgement. After all, Byntrou hadn’t even hidden the fact of who had sent them here...

Post by magic_gathering2001
Pwent looks puzzledly
OOC: Is that a word?
at Chiandra and asks jokingly, "You really can't see us as glorious crusaders of Heronious? Are we really that actors]

Nonlethal Force
Chiandra replies to the smaller Bous, "Ah. There has been word of your arrival, but considering what has happened to the Temple in Foothills we really find it best to play stupid until other people have exposed their own plans. For that matter, this is why you will find us armed and armored. The source of the threat is largely unknown - thus everyone could still be a potential suspect."

Replying to Pwent she adds, "As to whether you are actors or not, I do not know. But I do knw you have one that serves the platinum dragon among your midst - his ornamentation tells me that much at least. And considering that the Bous aren't know for their deep veneration of Heironeous I figured that left at best two of five. If I have offended you, I apologize."

Post by jkason
Byntrou nods. "Just as you say," he says with a look about the common room. He takes a step or two closer to the woman and adds "Is there somewhere we might discuss this that's slightly more private? Given all of our suspicions, I'd prefer not to talk about this where any random parishioner (or, more dangerously, false parishioner) might wander in and overhear."

Post by Nonlethal Force
Chiandra responds to Byntro's request with a head shake side to side and adds, "No, unfortuantely there are only the two offices and this main room. The offices are much to small to hold a meeting with all of us."

Post by unleashed
“Then I guess this will have to do, though we might want to move further from the entrance. So what can you tell us Chiandra, as Braachus could tell us little?” Keryth asks, his voice pitched so it does not travel very far.

Post by D20Dazza
Bahruul steps outside the front door and acts as sentry, keeping people away from the conversation taking place inside.

Pwent will stay with the group but not really listen to the conversation, instead he will search for anything that appears to take too much notice in their converstation.

Post by Nonlethal Force
[Sblock=OOC All]
I am afraid I may not have made myself clear. Inside the temple there is nobody present except for Chiandra and perhaps someone behind the closed door to the other office. Just wanted to state that in case there was any confusion.[/Sblock]

Bahruul:

Bahruul doesn't really have a difficult time preventing people from coming into the temple. In fact, after standing outside for a minute he gets the distinct impression that the only reason people are acknowledging the temple at all is because he's a Bous and he seems to be guarding it. The people don't really stop to stare or anything, so it isn't like Bahruul is being watched. There are not a terrific number of people out on the streets, though. The town seems to have a lazy appearance - although it is prime mining time in this community.

Byntrou, Keryth, Pwent:

Chiandra responds, "Well, I do not know what all to tell you. It would seem something has happened over in Foothills to stir up trouble. The source of the trouble is indeed largely unknown, although our best guess is a rival religious sect in that it seems to be the local temples that are being targeted. A few servants of Pelor have been wounded in attacks, and a couple of dwarven Moradin worshippers have also being gravely injured. The temple of Heironeous seems to have found the brunt of the attacks as some of the priests have gone missing. This should not surprise you, however, because that temple was the only one to take the threat seriously enough to take up action against the threat. They went into the mines and did not return."

“There was an artifact brought forth from a new shaft that was recently opened. At first it was thought that if the artifact was stolen then perhaps the artifact's return would cease the attacks. Such has not been the case. The item was returned to the place where it was found. The next day the item had been removed by some unknown presence, yet the attacks continue."

She pauses to allow the others a little time to catch up and ask questions if necessary.

Post by unleashed
“That is far more than we knew to this point Chiandra, and it gives us an idea of where to start at least. Since the missing priests went into the mines, but didn't return, I guess they should be the starting point of our search for your lost brethren at least. Hmm, and now onto the larger problem...you said you think it might be a rival religion. What rivals exactly do the three faiths struggle against here, is there just one, or is it possible several have joined together? Also, do you know anything about the artifact that was unearthed, was it associated with any of your rivals?” Keryth asks, before looking around to find Bahruul blocking the entrance.

Post by D20Dazza
Bahruul continues to watch the town from the church doorstep, keeping an eye out for anything unusual.

Post by jkason
Byntrou falls back, letting the priests interact. He nods to Bahruul when he can catch his eye to thank him for keeping watch.

Post by Nonlethal Force
Byntrou, Keryth, Pwent:

Chiandra replies, "Alas, we don't know much about the artifact at all. In all truth, we don't even really know that it was an artifact. It could have merely been something found that we thought might be important but was simply a cast off item. Having said that, it could have been an incredibly important tool as well. We just don't know for sure."

She continues, "As for rivalries, there are those who would oppose us. There are the godless ones who simply do not see the need for religion at all. There are also those who more actively oppose us - those who worship the gods of death, vile corruption, tyranny, murder, slaughter, or even cowardice. Though they worship in secret it must be acknowledged that their gods do have considerable power in some areas. Of course, the threat may well reach beyond the known opposing gods as well."

Post by unleashed
“You are right Chiandra, it may not even be opposing religions, though with the attacks on priests of all three faiths, they are definitely a likely group of suspects. The priests though, are our first priority...hopefully if we can find and rescue them, they will be able to offer some insight into the trouble that plagues this region,” Keryth replies, thoughtfully.

Continuing after a few moments, Keryth adds, “We will also keep an eye out for this artifact, that was taken, returned, and then taken again...as whatever it turns out to be, it seems important to someone at the very least...”

Post by jkason
Byntrou nods in agreement with Keryth's assertions and promises, then adds, "We were also told that you might be able to relay messages back to Great Bend if need be. Should we be forced to send someone, or one of our party comes themselves, should they ask specifically for you, Chiandra? We were lead to believe that our involvement with the church was to be as clandestine as possible; are all the acolytes here aware of us, or only certain individuals?"

Post by Nonlethal Force
Chiandra nods at Keryth and turns to Byntrou to address his assertion. "I do believe that perhaps you have been mislead. This temple does not have acolytes. Only myself and my fellow priest live here. We have a small worshipping congregation. But yes, we can relay messages if necessary. It would be our honor to do so. As for secrecy, I think that is best to your discretion. I fear that my associate in Great Bend is afraid that our small numbers implies an inability to defend ourself."

Post by D20Dazza
Bahruul winks at Byn when he catches his eye and starts to pace backwards and forwards before the door.

Post by jkason
Byntrou bows his head to the priest. "Our thanks for what information and aid you can give," he says. He turns to his fellows, then, saying "Perhaps we should rest here this evening, head into Foothills fresh in the morning?" Back to Chiandra, Byn asks, "Do you know of a good place for travelers to rest here in town?"

Post by Nonlethal Force
Chiandra replies, "Well, there are no inns here. If you have friends in the area you can stay there. You can find lodging in Dullstown, no doubt. But as a last resort you would be welcome to spend the night here. Our floor is hard, but free of charge."

Post by unleashed
“Well if we can make it to Dullstown today, perhaps we should go...then this meeting can then simply be written off as people asking for directions, should anyone ask. Striking out from Dullstown would also hopefully disabuse anyone of the notion that we are linked in common cause, and although I know you can defend yourselves it’s not worth taking the chance of unnecessarily drawing additional attention to your temple. Of course if we can’t reasonably reach Dullstown today Chiandra, we’d be pleased to stay right here in your temple, and provide what additional defense we can should anything happen...” Keryth offers, trying to protect the temple as they promised, without offending the priests here.

Post by Nonlethal Force
Chiandra replies, "I see no reason you could not reach Dullstown in enough time to find an inn for the evening." She smiles, waiting for the party's next move.

Post by unleashed
“That’s good! Well obviously I’d prefer we head for Dullstown...anyone else have a preference?” Keryth asks.

"Nope"

Post by D20Dazza
Bahruul just happened to be striding past the door when he heard Keryth mention Dullstown. Stopping he pokes his head in the door and says "I'm ready to head to Dullstown and get to the bottom of this mess, let's go"

Post by jkason
Byntrou nods his head slightly, coming out of the fog of whatever thoughts had his attention. "Dullstown it is, then.

Stooping down to Destiny when he has a chance, Byn whispers "If the pace gets to be too much, little one, you're free to take a spell on my shoulders as we did on the road from Great Bend to Theropa. Just let me know."

Post by Nonlethal Force
Destiny smiles at Byntrou and replies, "Thanks. But I like to travel light - it helps me keep up with you all. Besides, I'm not sure the air isn't thinner up there where your heads are!" She laughs as she scampers ahead.

Post by D20Dazza
Bahruul starts to walk down the road to Dullstown, setting a leisurely pace so that their small friend can keep up.

Post by jkason
Byntrou shakes his head and smiles at Destiny's joke, but says nothing as he follows after the scampering psychic.

Post byNonlethal Force
The party eventually manages to make their way to Dullstown. Being a town of decent reputation of carrying about 12,000 inhabitants, the party can expect to find almost anything they need to find here if they devote enough time searching for it. On their way into town they come across several traveling groups headed out of town. From their conversations it seems that the attitude of the town would fit around the belief that the laws of the town are strictly enforced, but there is little concern for good or evil causes. Getting the job done fairly and as expediously as possible seems to be a mantra that these people live by.

Dullstown rests primarily in a long and narrow valley between two mountain ranges. The town, therefore, is likewise long and narrow. The party enters Dullstown from the southern end with the mountain ranges running primarily north and south at this point. As would be expected of a larger town, there are inns (both for sleeping and for eating) and taverns (primarily for drinking although their potatoes have a certain onion and garlic smell to them) readily as one of the first things to greet the party besides private residences. The people of Dullstown seem to live on small patches of land and although it is still very early spring this far north in the mountains there seems to be a general trend to small residential farms as potentially the primary source for food. The grounds of many of the residences have tilled areas, although nothing is growing up from the ground as of yet.

The people take little notice of the party, except for a few miners headed out of town. The group of miners are carrying standard mining gear complete with picks, candles, and oddly enough a canary. There are five miners, all of them are built solidly though none are even as tall as Byntrou. Three of them appear to be quite human. The fourth looks to be some type of human crossbred with a more fair race in which the crossbreeding left the individual with long and completely snow white hair despite the fact that the individual looks no more than 30 years of age. The last of the mining party is a dwarf - by far the most muscular of the whole group. The white haired individual is the one carrying the canary. As the party passes by them they can hear one of the humans say to the dwarf, "Look at them folk, Grinder. 'Cept for the short one they've got your muscles on a better sized frame!" The dwarf, whose name appears to be Grinder, adds "Aye. They might could give me a challenge tunnelling through the rock if they weren't such obvious surface dwellers!" The dwarf laughs hertily, although clearly his comment was not meant as an insult.

Post by D20Dazza
Bahruul grins at the dwarf "You funny little man" he says with a chortle.

Post by jkason
Byntrou quirks a smile to the dwarf, then speaks to his companions. "Perhaps it would be best to find ourselves lodgings first. Once we have some kind of base, we can check out the rest of the city, perhaps make some inquiries. A central location will let us split up more easily, too, I should think, since we'll all know where we'll eventually wind up."

[Sblock=Continued...]I have four more pages to add to this thread before we begin. I'm going to post the most recent posts and we'll pick it up from there. As I have time, I'll edit the rest of the internet cache that unleashed managed to save and get those up. A huge thanks to unleashed for saving these![/Sblock]

Last edited:

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Nonlethal Force
The dwarf gives a gruff snort of approval to Bahruul as they walk by.

Destiny looks up at the larger Byntrou and adds, "Well, I suppose if you want to pass through the larger city that would be fine. I'm kind of curious to check out those mines myself, although I'm not a cave explorer at all. I think we prove ourself well in the last underground adventure, however."

unleashed
“Which mines Destiny, the ones in Foothills? Well, I imagine like Hemlock, Foothills won’t have anywhere to stay, so we’d best set ourselves up here in Dullstown somewhere, and perhaps start looking around in Foothills tomorrow after we get the lay of the land. After all, the temple had trouble with the mayor as well as the situation they encountered in the mines,” Keryth chimes in, finally breaking his silence.

D20Dazza
Bahruul watches the miners as they trudge past the group "I bet that they could give us some valuable information about those mines" the big bous says as he rubs thoughtfully at his chin.

Nonlethal Force
Destiny replies, "Good point, Keryth. Coming from the south I often forget that this land is riddled with mines. Of course I meant the ones with the disappearance of the priests of Heironeous."

Responding to Bahruul she adds, "If you wish to talk to them, I don't think we are terribly pressed for time."

jkason
Byn gives a thoughtful grunt, then throws out "I would think miners more likely to respond to a single stranger than the lot of us. It gives them the illusion they're in a power position, much as I know you would, of course, be their better in a fight, petik"

He smiles slyly to Bahruul, then continues. "If not a single person, for safety concerns, then probably a smaller group, at least. I should think they might feel unduly threatened by our height."

D20Dazza
"You're right Bryn" Bahruul says to his herdmate "and there are bound to be more miners in town. We can speak to them, if need be, in perhaps a less threatening environment. Like an Inn, which reminds me I'm starting to get hungry" with one last look at the departing miners Bahruul turns and strides towards the town.

Nonlethal Force
"Now there's a true shocker of a statement if I've ever heard one," Destiny says with a strong hint of sarcasm.

unleashed
“Yes, buy them a drink or two, and I’m sure they’ll be more than happy to talk...no matter the numbers,” Keryth adds with a grin, as he follows Bahruul.

D20Dazza
"Hurry up little one. You know not to get between a bous and his food. If I get hungry enough I might just eat you" Bahruul says over his shoulder, his voice echoing with amusement.

jkason
Byntrou laughs, adding as they move into town, "Between you and Pwent, herdmate, I'm amazed the land hasn't been thoroughly ravaged of all things edible already."

Nonlethal Force
Destiny laughs at Byntrou's comment.

As they head through town, they pass through a few public places. They are able to take note of what appears to be the town's governing location as well as several town guard outposts. They are able to spy a few merchant shops, a gemstone exchange office, and even a small magic shop - nothing quite like the shop of Lucifax the Brown, however. Eventually they do seem to find a place that offers both a selection of an evening meal and a few rooms for rent on a second floor. There are plenty of windows into the building, but they are all shuttered so it is impossible to see through them. The building itself is a two story dwelling of what appears to be stone around the bottom floor and wood for the roof and second floor. On the front is a simple shingle that reads "Vyrzhil's Nest."

jkason
Byntrou looks around and shrugs. "I'm not sure what a Vyrzhil is, but if it's nest has a working bed and a warm meal, I say we enter it for the evening." With that, he opens the door and leads the way in.

unleashed
As Keryth begins to follow Byntrou inside, he remarks, “Yes, we might as well, seeing as we haven’t spotted anything else...I wonder what makes them keep the windows shuttered.”

magic_gathering2001
"Maybe someones sleeping late" Pwent's stomach growls audibly after the statement, "Lets get a move on I'm late fer me meal!"

unleashed
“Perhaps, though I think it unlikely as they have the ground level closed up too, maybe we’ll find out once we’re inside,” Keryth ponders quietly, just before he steps into the building.

D20Dazza
Bahruul follows the others into the Inn, sniffing at the air, his belly rumbles like some great beast just woken from its slumber.

Nonlethal Force
Inside the Inn, the mood lighting is low. There is a small stage in the far right corner, although nobody seems to be paying much attention to the juggling act on the stage despite the fact that the juggler seems quite good.

Instead, 3/4 of the 20 or so tables are filled with mostly burly men sitting around with ale in their hand. Each table seems engrossed in their own conversation and the low light from the candles covers everyone's face in deep long shadows. It is difficult to make eye contact on account of the darkness, but it does not seem like anyone has decided to pay much attention to the party as they entered. There are 4 tables that are large enough to fit the party around should the party decide to sit all at one table.

There does seem to be a bouncer of sorts, although he is standing completely on the opposite side of the room with his arms folded. As the party looks at him, on his left side there is a wooden door that is closed. The kitchen is off to the far left. At the moment, there aren't any wait staff present in the main dining room.

unleashed
“Hmm, guess they like their privacy here...that explains the shutters,” Keryth remarks quietly, as he looks around the room.

D20Dazza
Bahruul moves to the closest unoccupied table and settles down in the chair with a creak. He looks around the room with an air of expectation, drumming his fingers on the heavily scared table top.

jkason
Byn follows his herdmate, sitting at the table next to Bahruul and surveying the room. Something about the look of the place has him wanting to wait a bit to get a better feel for its inhabitants before doing more.

magic_gathering2001
Pwent follows Byntrou to the table and mutters, "Guess they weren't sleeping late."

unleashed
Keryth nods to the bouncer as he makes eye contact with the man, before he heads for the kitchen as his companions take a seat.

Nonlethal Force
Destiny takes up a seat and her chin barely rises above the table top. "A person could easily get lost in these shadows, you know?"

As Keryth starts for the kitchen the bouncer takes interest. He lowers his head and makes eye contact with an expression that reads "Don't even try it." The bouncer is positioned so that he could intercept Keryth easily before he made it to the kitchen.

unleashed
Changing direction as the bouncer takes an interest, Keryth approaches the man and asks, “So how does one get a meal and a room around here?”

jkason
"True enough. I'm torn between appreciating it and worrying about just which people-who-aren't-me might take advantage of that fact," Byntrou returns softly. He does his best to keep his eyes open without appearing nervous or shifty.

Byntrou sits back, raising an eyebrow, as he mutters to Destiny, "Now this could get interesting. I certainly wouldn't have expected Keryth, out of all the people in our group, to wind up finding trouble so quickly." He calls to mind his unerring projectile spell, but does nothing overtly aggressive, sitting and waiting to see what develops.

Nonlethal Force
Keryth:

The bouncer replies, "All our servers are in the kitchen right now. They got tables only they wait on. Have a seat with your friends and they'll be out to serve you." The man speaks with the inflection of someone barely schooled.

Pwent, Bahruul, Byntrou:

Fortunately, in the darkness it doesn't seem to be the case that anyone is intereste in the party's presence. It also doesn't appear that this place is a hangout for sneaky types. Most of the people gathered here appear to be of the general physique of Keryth, Bahruul, and the bouncer.

Destiny says, "Well, I think if anyone is going to take your coin purse you'll likely know about it before it happens."

unleashed
“I see, well I suppose that will have to do...thank you for your time.”

Keryth turns as soon as he finishes speaking and returns to the table with his companions, taking a seat he says softly, “Seems we’re to wait until a server comes, and I’m still none the wiser about how to we acquire a room for the evening. I guess we’ll have to ask the server, as it seems my new friend there is what he appears to be...muscle, and nothing more...”

jkason
Byntrou chuckles at Destiny. "True enough, little one, and we've proven more than capable of dealing with thieves, haven't we?"

The short Bous turns his attention to the cleric, nodding. "Hopefully they'll be out soon. I'd hate to see what happens if Pwent's stomach starts growling too loudly. He might decide the table looks edible."

magic_gathering2001
"Yeah, the next time it'll only take us half a day to find our stuff"

D20Dazza
Bahruul impatiently drums his fingers on the table RRRUMBLLE "No, that was my belly" he says to his friends as their eyes dart towards Pwent.

jkason
"Indeed, I'm strating to feel some hunger myself, petik. I definitely miss Karan."

magic_gathering2001
"Darn it! I just forgot how hungry I was"

unleashed
Keryth chuckles quietly at the antics of his companions, keeping silent on the matter of food, as they continue to wait for a server.

D20Dazza
"Ahh Karan" Bahruul says in a dreamy voice "How did she ever know the way to a boas heart is through his stomach?" he asks of Byn with a quizzical look on his face.

unleashed
“Well, I don’t think that’s a trait unique to boes, Bahruul,” Keryth replies with a chuckle, as he cast a subtle look towards Pwent.

D20Dazza
Bahruul swivels in the direction of Pwent and gives him a hearty slap on the back "Hahha, we'll make you part of the herd yet!" he says with enthusiasm.

Nonlethal Force
Destiny sits with a smirk on her face as the others talk about their stomachs. She was actually rather relieved to be their friends, because in honesty she'd be the right size to provide a healthy meal for the rest of them were the situations reversed. Finding a break in the conversation she teases Pwent about his earlier comment, "Next time? You planning on getting your stuff stolen again?"

As they continue to talk, a very attractive man walks out of the kitchen area with a tray loaded with food. By the look of it, it appears to be sausages, boiled cabbage, and what look like crab legs - only these were black. The man is dressed in two pieces of clothing, each of which is firmly secured to one of his ankles. The pieces of fabric are joined together around his waist with a simple belt and then woven together as if to form a very loose fitting tunic. As he moves, the fabric sways and adds to the effect of his graceful walking. It is as though he were gliding across the floor on air rather than walking. Several tables begin clamoring for his attention - though nobody rises to approach him.

D20Dazza
Bahruul sites the tray of food and his stomach gives out another loud rumble. He slowly raises his hand into the air, using his reach to good advantage so that it towers above the heads of the other patrons, and waits for the waiter to arrive.

jkason
Byntrou chuckles at Destiny's comment.

"I think if there's something Pwent likes more than eating, it's finding a good fight. Who knows what he might be willing to lose if it meant more ... uh, 'dancing.'"

He lets his more sizable herdmate try to hail the waiter, trying to remember if he knows anything black and crablike.

Nonlethal Force
Destiny chuckles, "Yes, our little twinkle toes..."

The waiter does seem to spot the large bous and for a brief second makes eye contact as if making a mental note that there was a new party in the tavern. He scans the room again for anyone new and then turns to head back to the kitchen without stopping at any other table.

[Sblock=Byntrou]
Unfortunately, Byntrou is unable to come up with any concrete answer for a food that size and crab-like. Byntrou is, of course, fully allowed to speculate. [/Sblock]

Last edited:

Nonlethal Force

First Post
magic_gathering2001
"Our buisness and his stories are the same. Are we here to investergate an artefact in some mines, or did I miss somthin'?"

unleashed
“No, you haven’t missed anything Pwent, but Byntrou wanted to explore the town and discuss how we proceed from here...though it sounds like the pair of you staying down here and eating, has shortened our hunt for information about the mines and what has gone on there,” Keryth replies, slapping Pwent on the shoulder and grinning.

Nonlethal Force
Bahruul, Pwent:
Before Byntrou, Keryth, and Destiny arrive Lark has an opportunity to answer Pwent's question.

"The tunnels were engraved with a unique pattern. There were stretches for 30 maybe 40 feet that looked like it had a single horizontal lighting bolt crudely carved into the wall. We couldn't make neither heads nor tales of it, but that was present in the odd tunnels. They also were a bit smaller than the tunnels we typically make for the purposes of mining. Of course, we also use those tunnels to extract the coal and stones."

Lark adds, "Well, I wouldn't want to keep you from your business. Bahruul, Pwent ... it was my pleasure. Thanks for being good chaps and listening to a poor miner's tales. If you are looking for work, the guild office is not too far from the mine entrance on the north side of town. I think most of you could find work."

He glances to Destiny and adds, "Every mining team needs a canary, too." He smiles broadly and stands, prepared to leave if nobody has anything else for him.

D20Dazza
Once Lark leaves Bahruul debriefs the others on what he and Pwent had learnt.

Lark said:
"The tunnels were engraved with a unique pattern. There were stretches for 30 maybe 40 feet that looked like it had a single horizontal lighting bolt crudely carved into the wall. We couldn't make heads nor tales of it, but that was present in the odd tunnels. They also were a bit smaller than the tunnels we typically make for the purposes of mining. Of course, we also use those tunnels to extract the coal and stones."

"There's always trouble in them mines. It's really a dangerous job. The walls have to be constantly shored up, and the humidity from the underground air rots the wood supports pretty quickly. You simply don't go down into the mines unless you've done said goodbye to your family and told 'em that you love 'em."

"I did hear about this art-e-fact that was found a bit of time ago. The priests looked at it for a long time. We had miners go missing in the mines like crazy while the priests were looking at that art-e-fact. We done gave the thing back to where it belonged and the missing numbers returned more to normal. Ya know, cause its so dark down there that if you aren't careful you can loose your direction real quick and get lost. We loose a few miners a year to them going too deep without knowin' where they are goin'. Its a darn shame, too. Normal those deep miners are often the really good ones, too."

"I was on a mining excavation crew one day that found a black and red tattered peice of clothing caught on a rock. Looked like it was torn from a cloak or somethin' fancy. Sure wasn't torn from the common clothes we miners get paid enough to buy! My buddy Dawgger was the one that spotted the clothing. Good eyes he has. Lousy pick potential, but we bring him along cause he can spot a seam of coal or a line of potential gemstones quicker than anyone else."

"The priests in the tmeples in town said that the mines are safe to go into. I ain't sure I'd go so far as that, but if they mean from whatever was takin' the miners from before I suppose they ought to know. They are typically pertty smart. Smarter than us miners for the most part."

"I do in fact have myself a wife and two kids. I ain't been home yet. Just got off shift. Spend a week and a half down in them holes pullin' out coal for burning this time. Ain't much fun pullin' out coal. Dirty job it is. Hope you don't mind my fingernails and all ... but that's what the coal does. Makes them so black you can't see the skin underneath. But I'm off four four days before my next week and a half down the hole."

"We opened up a new tunnel about 2 months back. That was just before the disappearances happened. We figured at first that the deep miners were just gettin' lost cause the tunnels was new. But when it kept up for a while we had to get the priests involved. You know, if I reckon right I think a few priests done got maimed, too."

"Even with whatever's down there I'd still go down. Gotta make a living, ya know? But like I said before, the priests said the problem is cleared up. But I don't know if I trust 'em completely. They never brought back as much as a body. Nothin' was recovered. I can't see as to how the priests can say its okay to work if they don't even know whats they were fightin!"

magic_gathering2001
"Bye Lark!" Pwent helps Bahruul fill in his friends.

unleashed
Listening as Bahruul and Pwent fill them in about what they heard from Lark, Keryth says, “Well, it seems Lark is well informed. So where did you want to start Byntrou...are you looking for anyplace in particular?”

D20Dazza
Bahruul looks expectantly at Bryn "Yes petik, where should we start?"

jkason
Byntrou falters for a moment as the group looks to him, then more or less regains his compusure to make suggestions. "Well, we could find the local temples, see if they've heard anything or experienced any unreported trouble. And since we know from Lark that the mining company brought in priests, perhaps a visit to the mining office might yield some insights or aid? And, of course, it's probably always good to find out just what a town has to offer in terms of other goods and services, especially if this might prove a temporary base for us."

magic_gathering2001
"Well if we've got all that stuff t'do we should get goin'. Where do we go first?"

unleashed
“I suppose that depends if and when everyone closes their businesses for the day. If we can find any open, the stores and such first I think, then perhaps the temples and mining office. We don’t want to give anyone too much warning about our objectives here if we can manage it...hopefully that order will cut down the chances of us being ambushed by any perpetrators too, if they don’t want people investigating their exploits,” Keryth adds with a wry grin.

D20Dazza
"Well then, let's be off" Bahruul adds as he rises from his chair and heads towards the door, a huge grin plastered across his broad face.

jkason
Byntrou smiles and follows the others out the door. "Shopping it is. That might help establish us as tourists, come to think of it. Doesn't hurt to have a more benign explanation for our presence."

unleashed
Keryth’s face takes on a pensive look at Byntrou’s mention of tourists, wondering how many people would tour a cluster of mining towns as he follows the pair of bous outside.

jkason
Byntrou gives Keryth a wink as he adds, "One of the advantages of being part of a race that tends to live in seclusion: for all most folk know, bous have a deep and abiding interest in human mining practices."

unleashed
“I suppose you’re right Byntrou, most know little of bous, in fact you could probably get away with almost anything among the uninitiated,” Keryth remarks, grinning.

D20Dazza
"And we do" Bahruul adds with a wink at his herdmate.

Nonlethal Force
[Sblock=OOC]Not meaning to squash the smalltalk as I'm assuming it happens along the way and thus is welcome to continue ... [/Sblock]

The party leaves the inn and finds that many of the shops are indeed already closed. There are several temples that appear to have vigils throughout the night as there are well trimmed candles in the windows. There also seems to be several bars and taverns open as well. The merchant shops are more difficult to find in the first place - except for those that specialize in mining equipment. The majority of the mining shops have been closed since sun down, however. In the short amount of searching they have done (not near long enough to walk the entire civilized area) the party is able to find a small mining shop that appears to be open for business. It also appears to be a small shop run out of the family home as there is a single candle lit in the shop portion and there are several lit candles on the floor above.

unleashed
Looking between the pair of bous, Keryth chuckles softly and adds, “Well hopefully you can continue to use that lack of knowledge to our advantage.”

Last edited:

Nonlethal Force

First Post
[Sblock=Completed recap]As of the writing of this Sblock, there are a few intentionally blank posts above. Those will hopefully get filled in.

With the completion of this post, we'll be up-to-date and I think we can go from here pretty well on what information we have posted. So, feel free to pick up the story and RP![/Sblock]

"It'd be really funny if we met some other Boes doing the same thing."

Post by Jkason
Byntrou looks to the others, raising an eyebrow and nodding toward the door. "Shall we do some shopping, then?"

Post by D20Dazza
"Sure" Bahruul says in answer to Byn "But what are we shopping for? Are we going is as new miners looking to equip ourselves? If so, shouldn't we have some idea of who we're working for?"

Post by Unleashed
“I don’t know about posing as miners Bahruul, as I don’t think they’ll believe I’m a miner armed like this,” Keryth chuckles, tapping his right fist on his breastplate.

Post by D20Dazza
"That's what I'm getting at Keryth" Bahruul says to the cleric "You said earlier that we shouldn't be giving people warning about our intentions. Marching into this miners shop armed as we are and making enquiries and buying equipment to do with the mines may just give us away?"

Post by Unleashed
“True, I am concerned with the fact that we don’t know what we’re looking for exactly, so I’m loathe to make us targets...” Keryth replies, continuing quietly with a wry grin, “...it’s so much easier when the forces opposing you are being obvious.”

Post by Jkason
"We needn't be miners to shop in the store," Byntrou offers with a shrug. "If we decide we want to play up this 'bous mining tourists' angle, wouldn't we want to see what odd implements humans use for their mining?" he finishes with a wry smile of his own.

Post by Unleashed
“Well let’s go in then, we’re probably drawing just as much attention to ourselves by standing outside and talking anyway,” Keryth chuckles, as he leads the way inside.

Post by D20Dazza
Bahruul follows Keryth inside, wide eyed and open mouthed "Are you sure we'll see some real mining equipment in here?" he asks the priest as he follows excidedly in his footsteps "The stuff humans use? It still astounds me that they go digging these huge tunnels"

Post by Unleashed
Keryth struggles to control himself as Bahruul follows him in, exuberantly playing the role of a naive bous curious about human mining. Though he manages after a few moments, using the discipline he learned in his years of training, to bring his expression under control as an amused smile. “Yes, I’m sure there will be some mining equipment here...the stuff the humans use,” Keryth remarks, in a somewhat indulgent tone.

Post by Jkason
Byntrou looks about as well, though he takes a different tack, playing up his mystery by speaking in his native tongue to Bahruul.

As he speaks, the smaller bous begins surveying the room and its contents.

Post by Nonlethal Force
Inside the store, it looks to be a typical store for the land. The family living quarters is upstairs while the bottom floor doubles as a store in the front and kitchen area in the back. There is a double-hinged door that leads from the store area to the kitchen area in the back which has a fuzzy window inserted into the door to allow a vague impression of what is through the door.

Inside the store, there is a single male clerk - roughly appearing to be in his late fifties. His face has not been shaved for a few days, or else the man just can't grow a beard. Most of his hair is gray in color, and so far it appears that he has been able to avoid male-pattern baldness. He wears a flanel shirt and from what the party can see of the rest of him - considering he is seated behind a counter - he has on a simple pair of overalls. He seems to have been studying an oversized piece of parchment when the party entered.

As the party enters and begins their demonstration, the man eyes them a bit nervously and raises an eyebrow. He glances out one of the windows and then returns his focus back to the party. "Need something, strangers?"

His voice is not quite what the party might expect. It is not bold and robust at all - rather the voice sounds a bit whispy and deflated. It sounds almost as if the man were out of breath or trying to whisper. Yet his body language does not indicate fatigue or a desire to intentionally speak quietly.

The store doesn't seem to have much in the way of heavy mining equipment, but it does contain several shelves filled with buckets, various types of sives and trowels, a bin of small shovels with collapsable handles, landerns, candles, rope, and a few simple articles of clothing like shirts.

Post by Unleashed
Intending to leave the talking to the curious boes, Keryth shrugs towards the man as they talk among themselves, “Well yes and no. As you no doubt heard, my friends are intrigued by mining...I wonder if you wouldn’t mind indulging their curiosity.”

Post by Jkason
Byntrou looks to the proprietor and switches back to Common as he says, "This digging deep in the ground is something bous don't do. It's so ... exotic, yes? How many in town would you say are miners?"

Post by D20Dazza
Bahruul replies to Byn in Bous.

He then wanders around the shop "So, what does this do?" he asks pointy at a strange instrument hanging on the wall.

Pwent walks into the shop and attempts to look like a real miner, without actually doing anything. He looks closely at the equiptment and mutters under his breath.

Post by Nonlethal Force
The shop owner looks to Byntrou and adds, "I'd guess that anyone who wants to work and who isn't in religion, sales, or food. In other words, the majority of the men and even some of the women who aren't married."

Looking to Bahruul he replies, "That there is what is called a shuttered lantern. Each of the sides can be shuttered open to allow light in a circle. But care must be taken to not get the insides of the shutters dirty because when closed they act as mirrors to send out a more intense light if only one shutter is left open."

Post by D20Dazza
"Amazing" Bahruul says letting awe drip through into his voice "And this one?" he asks, his thick finger jabbing at some sort of mask hanging from the wall.

Last edited:

jkason

First Post
Nonlethal Force said:
The shop owner looks to Byntrou and adds, "I'd guess that anyone who wants to work and who isn't in religion, sales, or food. In other words, the majority of the men and even some of the women who aren't married."

Byntrou nods, then furrows his eyebrows. "Not men of religion? That seems ... well, I could have sworn I heard someone talking in town about priests who were also interested in the mines. Did I mishear that, or misunderstand? Is it rare for human priests to delve belowground like that?"

Nonlethal Force

First Post
To Bahruul, the man replies, "That is but a simple cloth to be drawn across the nose and mouth so that the dust and mold found in the mines do not choke the miner."

To Byntrou he adds, "No, you did not mishear or misunderstand. The priests are not miners. The religious academics will occasionally enter the mines to bless a new cavern or such, but they do no mining while underground. Mining is dangerous work, and to mine properly you really need to be trained in the tools of the trade. One casual mistake can lead to a cave-in; which I don't need to tellyou leads to death in most circumstances. The religious types stay in their temples and the streets where they know what to do unless needed in the mines."

unleashed

First Post
Keryth, Male Drakontos Cleric

Keryth stands over by Destiny, as Bahruul and Byntrou talk to the man behind the counter, listening but not adding to the conversation.

Remove ads