R2: Rats in a Maze [Manzanita judging]

Patlin

Explorer
Rae ArdGaoth said:
OOC: Attack and move closer. And... would color spray help us? Should Metrius move to flank the rats? Should Fimble flank them with his dagger? Comments?

ooc: The house rule in my home games is that we are only allowed to give each other tactical suggestions if we're telepathically linked. Not sure how Dungannon plays, but unless he says otherwise I'll assume I cannot legitimately answer. Give it your best shot!

Dungannon

First Post
The rat facing Tor snaps its jaws forward again but fails to find any purchase for its teeth on the big man.

Fimble fires his crossbow again but his good luck doesn't continue as the bolt flies wide, perhaps due to the gnome aiming not to his his friends.

Gideon, on the verge of collapse, aims a powerful blow at the rat in front of him. The rat twists to the side at the last moment and avoids having its head cut off, but the blade still bites deep into its shoulder. Gideon lets out a weak sigh and falls to his knees with the exertion of the attack. Seemingly in slow motion, the young man leans backward until he's prone on his back.

The two rats menacing Metrius take bites at him but neither are able to score a hit. Meanwhile, Drezel and Otto continue to hang back and watch the combat.

Metrius swings his mace at the rat he injured earlier and is rewarded with the sound of breaking bones. The rat remains on its feet however, snarling in rage.

Concentrating on his opponent, Metrius almost fails to notice the third rat come up on him for an attack. He manages to avoid the teeth at the last moment though, but is now hard pressed by three opponents.

Tor swings his chain again, this time making a more measured attack. He's rewarded by watching his spikes tear through fur and flesh, ravaging the rat in front of him. He fails to drop it however, so he takes a cautious step backward.

end of round 10

sewercombatmap12.jpg

[sblock=crunchystuff: ]
Rat #6 bite attack on Tor = 7
Fimble crossbow attack = 5
Gideon longsword attack on rat #8 = 23, crit confirmation = 7 (unconfirmed), damage = 5
Rat #12 bite attack on Metrius = 15
Rat #3 bite attack on Metrius = 8
Metrius mace attack on rat #3 = 20, damage = 3
Rat #8 bite attack on Metrius = 11
Tor chain attack = 16, damage = 10
[/sblock]

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Fimble McGee, Gnome Illusionist

Fimble rushes forward through the sludge. As he moves, his hand slips into his pouch, filled with all sorts of strange things with magical properties. His fingers grab a pinch of multicolored sand. He pulls his hand out of the bag, swing his arm up over his head, back behind his back, and then forward in an underhanded throw, shouting, "Charir! Yrev! Ulhar!" Suddenly, his fingers explode with light, creating a cone of dazzling, stunning magic around the rats surrounding Metrius.

OOC: I think I should be able to hit all the rats around Metrius. The range of the cone is 15'.

Relevant spell info:
srd said:
Each creature within the cone is affected according to its Hit Dice.

2 HD or less
The creature is unconscious, blinded, and stunned for 2d4 rounds, then blinded and stunned for 1d4 rounds, and then stunned for 1 round. (Only living creatures are knocked unconscious.)

3 or 4 HD
The creature is blinded and stunned for 1d4 rounds, then stunned for 1 round.

Oh, and... why did Gideon go down?

Dungannon

First Post
Rae ArdGaoth said:
Oh, and... why did Gideon go down?
ooc: Gideon was at 0 hp. Making the attack dropped him to -1. Also, if you want to catch rat #3 in your cone you will need to move up to melee range of rat #12. Moving that far will require a Balance check. You can move the limited 10' and still catch rat 12 & 8 but rat 3 will be unaffected.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer

OOC: I don't think it's worth the risk of falling in the muck and losing a round. Has Metrius taken a lot of damage so far? I think he can deal with Rat #3. The others will be out of commission for a while.

Patlin

Explorer
Trouble ahead, trouble behind... Tor thinks. And I'm not getting anywhere fast in this muck!

Chain Attack (1d20+7=9, 2d4+4=10)

Tor growls in frustration as the rat evades him yet again, and a small amount of acid begins to pool beneath his tongue. It sizzles slightly, but he fails to notice it in the turmoil of combat.

Dungannon

First Post
Tor's nemesis closes again but misses his leg this time.

Fimble moves up on the rats surrounding Metrius and unleashes his spell, the rats, stunned by the flash of lights, collapse unconscious.

Gideon continues to bleed out on the ground.

Seeing more of the rats fall, Drezel and Otto start to close in on Tor. Otto shifts his shortsword to his left hand and draws a dagger with his right. Drezel carries a rapier in his left hand with practiced ease.

The remaining rat threatening Metrius again fails to wound its target. Metrius returns the attack and again hears the satisfying sound of bones breaking. This time the rat falls and doesn't rise. The cleric immediately turns to the fallen sorceress.

Tor slashes his chain at the rat once more and once more it evades the attack.

end of round 11

sewercombatmap13.jpg

[sblock=crunchystuff: ]
Rat #6 bite attack on Tor = 7
Gideon stabilization check = 44
Rat #12 Will save vs. color spray = 10
Rat #8 Will save vs. color spray = 13
Rat #3 bite attack on Metrius = 8
Metrius mace attack on rat #3 = 20, damage = 4
Tor chain attack on rat #6 = 9

Rae, I noticed a small typo on your character sheet. You have your spell DC calculation listed as 10 + spell level + CHA mod. Since you're a wizard that should be INT mod, not CHA mod.
[/sblock]

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer

Fimble grunts a cry of victory as Metrius takes out the last rat. He nods as the cleric moves to help Babette. Fimble moves towards Gideon to administer his potion. "Curse this sludge," he thinks to himself as he trudges through the muck to his ally.

OOC: Double move toward Gideon, ignoring the stunned rats.

Remove ads