Poseidon

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
I saw Poseidon yesterday. It was fun, but flawed. Too many people surived, for one thing, and those deaths that occured were not random enough. But, it was none the less fun.

All the actors gave solid performances. It was good to see Josh Lucas and Kurt Russell on the sceen. But more characters needed to die.

It also featured a trailer for Superman and seeing the trailer on a big screen was also a thrill.

Last edited:

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
Sadly, the Superman trailer was the best part of this film.

This movie was wretched in every sense of the word: it typifies what is wrong with much of the move indursty nowadays. Note to Hollywood producers: Not EVERYONE wants a movie filled with explosions and hlaf-naked women: some of us want STORY, too!

The original "Poseidon Adventure" worked (and STILL works) because of the attachment you had to the characters. (Whore with a heart of gold, gruff but lovable cop, cynical priest, etc.) You CARED about what happened and who survived.

With this?
A) They changed the characters COMPLETELY: I'm not completely opposed to this in principle, but the original archetypes were perfectly fine! WHy mess with them?

B) Barring that, there's literally about EIGHT MINUTES of character "development" to get to know them. And you never really get to know the first thing about them! (Not to mention that Josh Lucas and Mia Maestro [though I do love her], are no match for Ernest Borgnine, Shelley Winters or Gene Hackman.)

C) The film is about 90 minutes. I don't mind shorter films, if they accomplish everything they need to do, but 15-20 more of charcter info and development would have helped (but not saved!) this film.

D) TO be nitpicky (which is pointless about a film like this, really... ) The Poseidon is a floating city, and yet a 50-foot tall tidal wave didn't ping any of their scanners? They had to actually HEAR the wave to know it was coming?

I'll stop now before I really lose my temper.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases