Branding's Age of Worms, the 4th Generation - OOC

Leveling up

Just a few thoughts on the subject of leveling up. To maintain a smooth flow in an adventure path, I think it's counter-productive to have long periods of mandatory training when one gains a new level. For those who are unfamiliar with this concept, this is an alternate rule presented in the DMG. New class abilities, skill points, etc. are understood to be gained through practical use of one's skills in the field in addition to training during "downtime".

There is a semi-exception to this rule, which involves gaining a level in a new class. Levels in new base and prestige classes do not suddenly appear out of thin air. They must at least partially be acquired through apprenticeship or study with someone who is a member of that class. This training does not have to happen "on screen" and can simply be referred to in a single post.

The reason I insist on this is because in my opinion, without it characters start sliding from being representations of real people in a wholly realized, if fictitional world to simply a collection of modifiers to die rolls with an equipment list attached. I think that this concept is also grounded solidly in a pre-industrial way of life. Before the introduction of universal, mandatory state education almost everyone gained their job skills from a mentor or master, often apprenticing themselves for years to gain proficiency in their field. Acknowledging where your new skills come from is simply a modest acknowledgement to this model.

So what does this mean for you and your character? Well, if you plan on taking a level in a new class just let me know and we can work up a little background to explain this expansion. Does that work?

BrOp

Voadam

Legend
BO [SBLOCK]As a reminder Gregor's plans were to go giant 1-3, monk the rest. The giant levels and size growth are from his hexblade womb curse. The monk physical abilities would just be physical things he gets better at, (grappling knocking people down, swatting people rushing him, kicking and punching) while the mystical monk stuff would be from the hexblade curse/dead mother's dying blessing interactions as flavor/story elements. Picking up vow of poverty at 3rd level as an interaction of the curse on his family and his mother's blessing as well as all his money goes to charities and to support his dad. I never had plans for him to train or study under anybody but nightmares about the hexblade and dreams of his mother were to be scattered throughout his career.[/SBLOCK]

Thanee

First Post
As for Alexi, I have her already sketched-out somewhat... she will become a Warmage at 2nd level, or rather, she will unlock and discover her magical talent through some kind of accident or whatever fits the situation she is in at that time. Then she will likely seek someone who can explain to her what's going on and help her refine her abilities (i.e. a mentor ;)).

Bye
Thanee

silentspace

First Post
Majakilar is wearing a +1 chain mail they found, and Gregor is holding his old armor.

Future plans for Majakilar are 2 paladin of freedom levels, then sorcerer, then more human paragon. After that maybe spellsword and/or eldritch knight. That's been the basic plan from the beginning.

But if that's too many classes for you, perhaps you'll allow me to re-build him as a straight paladin of freedom?

Both are fine as long as you guys can make the new classes work within the context of the story. That's all I really care about.

I am also attaching pictures of the two wands and the red leather masterwork armor you have found. I didn't paint these, someone else posted them online after running this adventures. I will add them to the [INFO] thread as well.

BrOp

p.s. To give credit, the armor was painted by Craig Ousterling, and the wands by Terry Edwards.

Attachments

• Adventurer's+Wand.jpg
    Adventurer's+Wand.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 304
  • area17rarmor.JPG
    area17rarmor.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 320
  • Wand2.jpg
    Wand2.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:

Remove ads