Lanhkmar's back (Runequest)

Crothian

First Post
This ought to be interesting. I never saw a lot of the D&D books for it but know it seems to be popular. I'm just curious if a lot of people will still be getting it.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
I guess I sghould mention it is for Runequest

"Eminently expandable to any fantasy setting, RuneQuest is supported in 2006 by Mongoose Publishing with the Glorantha and Lankhmar worlds, while other publishers are free to introduce their own settings, due to the Open Content licence available for the game."

Crothian

First Post
Runequest has been announced for a while....Lanhkmar's the news. Mongoose does good things these days, though from talk around here people treat them like it's 2002.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
To me, this is great news! I love both RQ and Lanhkmar! :)

It's just too bad that they didn't get to re-do RQ sooner... while Conan isn't a bad game, that would have been another perfect match for RQ.

Vegepygmy

First Post
Crothian said:
This ought to be interesting. I never saw a lot of the D&D books for it but know it seems to be popular. I'm just curious if a lot of people will still be getting it.
I'm torn. I love Lankhmar, but I hate RuneQuest.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Hmmmmm. I would be interested, except it's Runequest (which I hate and seems awfully inappropriate for the outlandish sort of fantasy in those books. Ie, where the heroes actually survive combat) and it's by Mongoose, who tends to put out shabby products (if they do good things, I obviously have missed them. Most of their good products are solely due to the efforts of the author).

Turanil

First Post
Crothian said:
"Eminently expandable to any fantasy setting, RuneQuest is supported in 2006 by Mongoose Publishing with the Glorantha and Lankhmar worlds."
I formerly had both the Runequest game and Lankhmar books (the AD&D ones). Frankly, I think that Lankhmar will fit very well for use with Runequest, much better than D&D. If I were to play or run a Runequest game, I would certainly much prefer Lankhmar than Gloranthra for setting. I hope that the city of Lankhmar book will at least be as good as the AD&D one. However, in any case I am not interested in those, and even won't give it a look (too many good games to play already, but no time for it)...

Glyfair

Explorer
Turanil said:
If I were to play or run a Runequest game, I would certainly much prefer Lankhmar than Gloranthra for setting. I hope that the city of Lankhmar book will at least be as good as the AD&D one.
My gut reaction was to disagree, because I feel that Glorantha is a much, much better RPG setting. However, I think you're right.

Lankhmar is very grim and gritty, which fits the Runequest feel very well. The magic system of classic Runequest doesn't fit it, but I have a feeling that the new Runequest will have a different magic system, since that was one thing Chaosium ended up rights to in the split with Avalon Hill. I'm not sure the legal situation where Hasbro allowed the Runequest trademark to lapse would cause that bit to be lost, too.

Imruphel

First Post
trancejeremy said:
(snip) and it's by Mongoose, who tends to put out shabby products (if they do good things, I obviously have missed them. Most of their good products are solely due to the efforts of the author).

Their Conan products have generally been excellent... once they got over the initial screw-up.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases