Politics interfering with gaming

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
No game-a-day post from me today, I've got something else eating me up besides Tony.

I understand 100% why we have a no politics and no religion rule on ENWorld. I for one have very strong beliefs regarding both, and for the first time I've found myself in a gaming environment where this is causing problems.

I try not to talk politics (or sexuality, or religion - my big three impolite topics) while gaming, but occasionally it comes up. I've generally gamed with people who have the same politics as I do - maybe not as far to whatever side that I lean towards, but at least a general tolerance for my beliefs.

This relates somewhat to the "do you game with friends" thread, because I would never accept this gentleman as one of my friends.

Because this one member of my current secondary group (who is also the host of the events) and I just don't see each other's perspectives at all. I won't go into it, to avoid breaking the rules here, but it seems to pop up whenever we game sooner or later. To the point where I've actually considered dropping this gaming group. His politics are directly opposite not just my politics, but my lifestyle, and who I am. I'm not dropping the group, because I think we can be mature enough about it to avoid talking about it.

What makes it worse is that he's the strongest role-player in the group.

Have you ever had politics get in the way of gaming?
Have you ever dropped a group or just a player due to politics?

jester47

First Post
This guy a long time ago once said somthing about not letting politics and religion getting in the way of hanging out with people... I try to carry that outlook into my gaming.

Personally I am friends with all sorts of folk that have very different politics or religious faiths than I do. We disagree? Cool, lets play some D&D (or do whatever we do)...

You might want to vent on the CM.

Rackhir

Explorer
I have left gaming groups because I my style of playing and what I enjoyed in a RPG, conflicted with the DM or some of the other players. Its something I do for fun and if something is getting in the way of that, well I have other things I can do with my time. There is no point in being in a group if it is leading to frustration and aggravation.

GMSkarka

Explorer
I only game with friends, and to be blunt, if a person has beliefs that are that diametrically opposed to mine, I don't think I could get to the point where I'd be friends with them in the first place.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I game with some people with some radically different Political and Religious leanings, some closer to mine than others. We have our off-topic moments, but, being friends, we intentionally shelve them when it's time to game.

My recommendation is to come to an out-of-game understanding that you'd rather stay focused on the gaming when time is for gaming, but agree to a "schmooze-time" before and after session, and just stay out of that.

Or, do what we do, argue like rabid dogs until it's time, and agree to disagree and move on. :D In our case, we enjoy that, and recognize that it means nothing to our relationships in the end, other than keeping our debate skills sharp.

ForceUser

Explorer
GMSkarka said:
I only game with friends, and to be blunt, if a person has beliefs that are that diametrically opposed to mine, I don't think I could get to the point where I'd be friends with them in the first place.
You must not get out much. :p

A dialetic can be a healthy tool for personal growth, assuming it can be approached maturely.

edbonny

Explorer
You may want to supply a few more details before anyone comments. Off the top of my head, I would want to know...

- Have you discussed with him and your group how each of you would like to address sensitive issues?

- Are there any "house behavior" rules established to prevent political/sexual/religious flare-ups? If so, are they followed? Is your gaming group open to such rules?

- Have your gaming sessions gotten hostile because of your views? Does it get ugly? How do you resolve these conflicts?

Without knowing any of the above, the bottom line should be promoting an atmosphere of respect and good will to all players. If that does not exist and will not come about, then your decision seems to me to be an easy one.

Veander

First Post
I only open my mouth when people show a particular view. Otherwise I just keep my mouth shut. I'd wager most gamers in my groups have been on one side of the political spectrum, so I rarely say anything. My current group is easily one of my favorites and one girl is pro-one way and the other is pro-my way. hehe. We talk abot the issues, but in a way that friends talk about it. Put me in a politics forum or maybe an annoying family member and I will be far more aggressive and argumentative, but not with people I like.

My wife voted opposite me, but I still think she's one of the most interesting and intelligent people I have ever met.

Now let's not talk about homeschooling groups. I find I butt heads with most of those ladies (fyi, I am a homeschooling dad).

HellHound said:
Have you ever had politics get in the way of gaming?
No. My group's passionate about a lot of things but when it comes to politics and religion, that stuff is personal. I mean I could guess which way people lean in my group but I don't explicitly know - which I think is a good thing. Put it this way, I'm glad we don't have any "preachers" on either of these topics in our group. As on these boards, the discussion of such things can only cause conflict and then grief.
HellHound said:
Have you ever dropped a group or just a player due to politics?
No.

Hellhound, I suppose for you there is the following quandary: you know you should not bring such things up, particularly when it will only distract from the gaming table; but when it does come up, you feel so passionate about both that you have no choice but to convey your opinions - particularly when yours are so diametrically opposed to someone else's opinions. It is a shame you have now found yourself in your current situation.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases