D&D Technology

Andor

First Post
There are a lot of world changing technologies that shouldn't properly exist in the sort of high midieval world mosr campaigns like to portray, but that often sneak in because the just seem so basic to us. Which ones got your goat?

I'll start off with two:
The button
The decimal point

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I don't believe most games are actually set in anything like the realistic high medieval ages any more, if they ever were. (If folks are, I'm told the Green Ronin Medieval Player's Manual is pretty spiffy.)

In any case, in a world that can summon elemental monoliths to lay waste to enemy nations, I have no trouble believing that some extraplanar being summoned from Sigil or whatever said "hey, if you don't make me go fight that guy, I'll tell you all about this amazing technology we have, called the butt-oon."

Likewise, the decimal point was invented in the 8th or 9th century. I don't play Dungeons & White Guys, so I have no problem with better-than-Dark Ages math and the like. (Repeat the above scenario, but have it be a genie. Done.)

Of course, I also explicitly decided to stop worrying about fidelity that inherently cannot coexist with D&D magic and have Renaissance-level technology and better, when it makes for a fun game. (Like a heliograph system/Clacks.)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
The Steam Engine was known to the ancient greeks, the parthians had a battery and the egyptians may have had a Tesla Coil like device.

So Collosal Steam Powered Constructs throwing lightning bolts at giagantic firebreathing reptiles sounds just fine to me from a historic perspective - or maybe not:)

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
Hehe, I have no problem with pretty much anything in my DnD game. I mean, The Gnomes have nuclear power powering their main city IMC. Albeit there are a couple of meltdown threats every once in a while...but eh they dont really care. :)

Last edited:

Clueless

Webmonkey
The Romans had piped water, and were known to have vending machines. The way I figure it in those fantasy worlds, the tech level is explained by not having as strong a Dark Ages (it's called that for a reason) as Europe did. Essentially the society became more fuedalistic but the tech didn't in my way of thinking.

Last edited:

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
Clueless said:
The Romans had piped water, and were known to have hydrolic vending machines. The way I figure it in those fantasy worlds, the tech level is explained by not having as strong a Dark Ages (it's called that for a reason) as Europe did. Essentially the society became more fuedalistic but the tech didn't in my way of thinking.

Woah, can I have some info on the vending machines? :)

sjmiller

Explorer
Toggles and buttons of horn actually date back to well before the early medieval period, they were just not excessively common. Cloth buttons, where you take a square of cloth and stitch and stuff it to make a button, also dates back to the early ages of medieval German clothing. Look carefully at early medieval artwork, especially mosaics, urns, and frescos, and you will see lots of people wearing buttons. The myth of no buttons before the Renaissance is just that, a myth. I do not have any of my history of costume books handy, or I would cite more specific examples.

Clueless

Webmonkey
I find the note about the steam turbine and pistons that he had more interesting. He just never put the two inventions together, but if he had...

Remove ads