Dog Moon's Creatures [Updated 10-05-13]

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Jdvn1 said:
That's what I was expecting. I'm considering on starting a little higher level to prevent death, so a CR 3-4 creature might get used sooner than I'm expecting.

I tend to always start at level 2. Gives a bit of that hp boost to prevent the easy accidental deaths, but still starts everyone at low enough level that they feel weak and look forward to strength. :)

Jdvn1 said:
Ah-hah! That's one of my three FR books!

That's convenient. One of the best FR books, IMO. Not much fluff, but considering that I have a few good fluff FR books from 2e lying around, I don't really need any 3x fluff.

Jdvn1 said:
Well, what I don't like about subraces are that there are too many. A few can be flavorful, but I don't need a billion types of elves.

Agreed. I think I whittled everything down to 3 halfling tribes, 2 gnomes [svirfs and tinker], 3 elves [elder, drow - highly modified however, and forest], 3 dwarves [frost, wild, and stone]. Essentially it gives me a couple varieties of each to fill gaps which I like to be filled, but doesn't give me so many as to be super annoying.

Jdvn1 said:
Hm. Maybe make a Goblin leader, and describe how he rules over his weaker counterparts? Or, maybe, there's a leader of each caste, and how the castes bicker amongst each other for power. I think you've covered all of the basics. I might change to a 1st level module that features goblin castes...

Actually, I was thinking that each caste would have a single leader. I may detail out a few example Goblins. MAYBE I'll do the leaders, but I'm not sure yet.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Maniac

Well, sooner than you expected, I'm sure, a little creature. Guess I got inspired. Was thinking 'something crazy' and decided to take it a little literally. Found a good weak creature [Kobold], gave it a couple of abilities, changed the skills to be a little more suiting, added a HD, and bam! here's the Maniac:

Note: The Fearless feat makes the Maniac immune to Fear, magical and otherwise.

Maniac
Size/Type: Small Humanoid
Hit Dice:
2d8+2 (16 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (+1 size, +1 Dex, +1 natural, +2 leather), touch 12, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/-3
Attack: Flail +2 melee (1d6-1/×2)
Full Attack: Flail +2 melee (1d6-1/×2)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Manical Laughter [DC 13], Random Action [DC 11]
Special Qualities: Crazed, Darkvision 60 ft
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +3
Abilities: Str 9, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 10
Skills: Bluff +3, Hide +6, Move Silently +2, Perform (Any One) +5, Search +2
Feats: Fearless
Environment: Anywhere
Organization: None
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always Chaotic
Advancement: By character class

Maniacal Laughter (Su): As a Move Action, Maniacs can create the effect of Tasha's Hideous Laughter. This does not provoke activites and can be done in any environment in which laughter can be heard. The Will DC is Cha-based and includes a +2 racial bonus. This ability lasts for 1d3 rounds and is cast as a 2nd level caster.

Random Action (Su): As if attempting to spread their own nature upon their surroundings, any creature within 10 feet of the Maniac must make a DC 10 Will save or be affected as with the Confusion, Lesser spell. However, as they cannot instantaneously modify their surroundings, those who enter their area do not need to make the save until the beginning of their next round. The effect, as with the spell, lasts for a single round, but if the character begins his next round within the area, he must make the same save again or be inflicted as with the Confusion, Lesser spell.

Crazed (Ex): It is much more difficult to mentally modify a Maniac. Maniacs have a +4 racial bonus to Will saves.

Tactics
I believe that Maniacs create the opportunity for an interesting encounter. Their physical strength isn't impressive and in fact is quite weak, but their aura is quite powerful. Most of their damage should be expected to come from that aura. To make things interesting, and to make it more difficult for people to be aware of their presence, I would recommend making their aura something they are capable of turning on and off. In my game, I treated this as a Swift Action, though if you desire, you can slow it down to a Move Action, though anything slower than that I think ruins the abilities of the creature too greatly.

As Maniacs move through the crowd, some people will pass their saves, though others will fail. People tend to notice those who begin to attack others much more quickly than anything else and frequently focus on them more than the true threat behind the attack. Confusion is the key to playing Maniacs correctly. Put them in groups of opponents and allow them to turn their aura on and off.

Also, I would suggest changing the Perform (Comedy) to Perform (Any one), essentially to whatever is most appropriate for the encounter. Lastly, while above I gave them flails, I don't truly believe they should be weilding something so obvious. They need a smaller, hidden weapon, one which cannot be seen and thus cannot point out their ill intent to those who would put a stop to them.

Oh, and if you do not use them tactically well and attempt to use them in a straightup combat, their CR should definitely be decreased to 1.

"Maniacs are ... unpleasant ... to say the least. They are constantly laughing and swinging their flails around. They aren't particularly skilled with their flails, but it's said that they like the 'wooshing' sound it makes when they swing it around their heads.

The only time a Maniac can actually be considering enjoyable to be around is when they are on a stage - when you're preferably near the back - and they are putting on a comedy sketch. It must be their insane nature which allows them to make any crowd laughing. Or perhaps they simply make people laugh at the right time and other people simply join in; it's really hard to tell. Occasionally the crowd gets involved, but again, no one really knows if the crowd is acting on their own or not.

So when they aren't on stage, I would leave them alone. Seriously, try to stay away from them. They aren't deadly, but they are certainly annoying.

As far as I know, they don't have much culture, but then again no one has really been able - or willing - to ask them and find out. Maybe they have families or cults or something, but no one is going to stick around them long enough to find out, except their own kind.

Who knows where they came from, but I really wish they'd go back."

- An anonymous tavernkeeper as he cleans the mess several Maniacs caused in his tavern during a performance.

Last edited:

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
:lol: That is pretty hilarious.

I'm gonna have to use that, I think. What's the Random Action spell?

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Jdvn1 said:
:lol: That is pretty hilarious.

I'm gonna have to use that, I think. What's the Random Action spell?

Okay so apparently, what I would have SWORN was called Random Action was pretty much just the Confusion spell. The Random Action Ability has been modified based on this.

Sorry about the, ah, confusion. :p

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Pearls of the Moon

Okay, this was inspired when I saw the name of a Dragon in another thread, Pearl, Dragon of the Moon or something similar to that, but it didn't really have any 'moon-like' abilities and I didn't think what I had in mind would be particularly appropriate for Dragons, so I went with fey.

Again, as what I frequently do when making new creatures, I used Nymph as the base creature and modified it, switching Swim speed with flying, modified a couple of skills/feats, and their abilities. Behind the changes, I'm sure the 'Nymph' part is fairly noticeable now that you know about it.

So I chose Longsword for their weapon. Not particularly happy about that weapon because I would have sworn their was a blade that looked kind of like a question mark which more resembles a moon than a longsword.

Note: I'm only about 95% done. Need to find a couple of appropriate feats is all.

Pearl of the Moon

Size/Type: Medium Fey
Hit Dice:
6d6+6 (32 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30 ft, fly 20 ft (Perfect)
Armor Class: 17 (+3 Dex, +4 deflection), touch 17, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+3
Attack: Longsword +6 melee (1d8+3/19-20)
Full Attack: Longsword +6 melee (1d8+3/19-20)
Special Attacks: Aura of Awe, Longsword specialization, stunning reflection
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/cold iron, darkvision, Strength of the Moon, unearthly grace
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +12, Will +12
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 17, Cha 19
Skills: Diplomacy +13, Escape Artist +12, Gather Information +13, Heal +12, Hide +12, Listen +12, Move Silently +12, Profession (any one) +8, Sense Motive +12, Spot +12, Tumble +10
Feats: Weapon Finesse
Environment: Any
Organization: Group of Sisters (3-5)
Challenge Rating: 7
Alignment: Always chaotic good
Advancement: 7-12 HD (Medium)

Pearls of the Moon appear as highly attractive scantily clad women. Their hair tends to be bleach white, their eyes a light color [most frequently light blue], and their skin a milky white color. When it becomes night, however, their skin takes on a radiant glow as they take on strength from the moon.

The true beauty of the Pearls of the Moon is seen only at night. During the day, they tend to stay in places where exotic women may be found without seeming out of place. Sometimes - although rarely - this is at a whorehouse. Other times it can be with a group of performers or attached to the arm of a wealthy noble. The lifestyles of these women matters little during the day, but at night, they become devoted solely to the Goddess of the Moon.

They are protectors of what belongs to the Goddess of the Moon and if something has been stolen from one of her temples, the Pearls will retrieve the stolen good(s). Other times, they simply dance and rejoice, offering their prayers to their Goddess. They also act as guardians at her temples during the night because that is when they most frequently are robbed or attacked. One of the saddest goals they must accomplish is the destruction of a sister who has become a Fallen Onyx and who hurts people. [They feel saddened at the loss of a sister who leaves them, but they will not hunt her unless she begins committing acts of evil] They will spend as much energy as possible to kill their fallen sister because as of yet, those sisters cannot be redeemed.

COMBAT
Aura of Awe (Su): Creatures within 30 feet feel a great sense of awe towards the Pearl of the Moon. Their desire to fight her is lessened. They suffer a -2 morale penalty on attack rolls, damage rolls, saves, and AC. Also, any morale bonuses they may be gaining affecting the above effects is negated. This lasts as long as the creature is within the aura as well as a number of rounds after equal to her HD. A Will DC 17 negates this effects. Special: effects granting morale bonuses to the save does not work on this save.

Longsword specialization (Ex): Because of their training with this weapon, Pearls of the Moon treat longswords as light weapons for the purpose of being finesseable. Also, they deal damage by using their Dexterity modifier instead of their Strength modifier.

Strength of the Moon (Su): As a free action, Pearls of the Moon can draw upon the essence of the moon. The power and light of the moon surround her, causing her body to take on a slightly translucent, glowing look. She gains a +2 morale bonus on Dexterity, Charisma, and AC. They can do this twice per day and it lasts a number of rounds equal to their newly modified Charisma modifier +3.

Stunning Reflection (Su): As a standard action, a Pearl of the Moon can hold up her blade. As she does this, the moonlight strikes the blade and is reflected in a 60 foot cone before her. All within this area must make a Will save or be blinded. This also has a benefit of empowering the sword, granting her a +2 bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls and becomes as a holy weapon.

Fallen Onyxes

Size/Type: Medium Fey
Hit Dice:
6d6+6 (32 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30 ft, fly 20 ft (Perfect)
Armor Class: 17 (+3 Dex, +4 deflection), touch 17, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+3
Attack: Longsword +6 melee (1d8+3/19-20)
Full Attack: Longsword +6 melee (1d8+3/19-20)
Special Attacks: Aura of Fear, Longsword specialization
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/cold iron, darkvision, Strength of the Shadows, unearthly grace
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +12, Will +12
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 17, Cha 19
Skills: Bluff +13, Escape Artist +12, Gather Information +13, Hide +14, Intimidate +13, Listen +12, Move Silently +14, Profession (any one) +8, Sense Motive +12, Spot +12, Tumble +10
Feats: Stealthy, Weapon Finesse
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 7
Alignment: Always chaotic, either neutral or evil
Advancement: 7-12 HD (Medium)

Fallen Onyxes appear as highly attractive scantily clad women. Their hair tends to be raven black, their eyes a dark color [most frequently midnight blue], and their skin as dark as shadows.

Fallen Onyxes are Pearls of the Moon who have fallen into darkness - literally - for some reason or another. Some have simply tired of being protectors and while it might not seem like a big decision, it causes her to lose all benefits of worshipping the Moon Goddess. Others have turned their backs on their Goddess or have been swayed by outside forces into changing. When this occurs, they feel a great pain within their bodies as all the light within their bodies escapes back towards the moon, leaving only shadows.

While they harbor thoughts which aren't good, not all of them act on it. It depends solely on their reason for turning. Those who tire of being protectors become Neutral and most frequently tend to live quiet lives alone. The same goes with those who turn their backs on their Goddess, though many of these become Evil as well. Those who are turned through outside forces are almost guaranteed to become evil.

COMBAT
Aura of Fear (Su): Creatures within 30 feet feel a great sense of fear towards the Pearl of the Moon. Their desire to fight her is lessened. They suffer a -2 morale penalty on attack rolls, damage rolls, saves, and AC. Also, any morale bonuses they may be gaining affecting the above effects is negated. This lasts as long as the creature is within the aura as well as a number of rounds after equal to her HD. A Will DC 17 negates this effects. Special: effects granting morale bonuses to the save does not work on this save.

Longsword specialization (Ex): Because of their training with this weapon, Pearls of the Moon treat longswords as light weapons for the purpose of being finesseable. Also, they deal damage by using their Dexterity modifier instead of their Strength modifier.

Strength of the Shadows (Su): As a free action, Fallen Onyxes can draw upon the essence of the moon. The power and light of the moon surround her, causing her body to take on a shadowy form devoid of all light as the form of her body seems to fade away. She gains a +2 morale bonus on Dexterity and Charisma and AC. They can do this twice per day and it lasts a number of rounds equal to their newly modified Charisma modifier +3.

Void (Su): As a standard action, a Fallen Onyx can hold up her blade. As she does this, the shadows are drawn to the blade. Surrounding her in a 20 foot radius is an impenetrable darkness of which only she can see through. This is treated as the Deeper Darkness spell. This also has a benefit of empowering the sword, granting her a +2 bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls and becomes as an unholy weapon.

Last edited:

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Driv'vt

Okay, this is Driv'vt. You may remember him from the description of Doriy'ya Dor'Korath. Or maybe not. Depends on how well you remember my creations. :) Anyway, I've been kind of interested in statting him out for a while, and I finally did it.

The Fierce Loyalty bit is something I added because I believe that in cases such as this, there should be some sort of benefit or statement of sorts claiming that he would never betray Doriy'ya and that his mind is so strongly built on that that it would make convincing him to go against her very difficult, though not impossible considering the power of Magic.

[I think I seem to be getting a little sloppier with my presentation, so I may have to spend a little time making it look nicer. Might also go back and change the format to the one WoTC uses now, or perhaps put that in an sblock, something]

Driv'vt
Medium Humanoid Rogue 3/Fighter 2/Invisible Blade 2
HD:
5d6+2d10+7 ; hp 45
Init +3
Spd: 30 ft.
AC: 16 (+3 dex, +2 Int, +1 bracelet), touch 15, flat-footed 11

BA/Grapple: +6/+8
Attack: Dagger +10 melee (1d4+3)
Full Attack: Dagger +8/+8/+3 melee (1d4+3/19-20) or Dagger +11/+6 ranged (1d4+3/19-20)
S/R: 5ft/5ft
SA: Bleeding Wound, Sneak Attack +3d6
SQ: Fierce Loyalty, Unfettered Defense +2

AL CE
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +9, Will +0
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 15, Wis 8, Cha 12

Skills: Bluff +9, Climb +10, Disguise +7, Escape Artist +11, Gather Info +7, Hide +11, Intimidate +9, Move Silently +11, Open Lock +9, Profession (Farmer) +1, Sense Motive +7, Sleight of Hand +9, Tumble +11

Feats: Far Shot, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Focus (Dagger)

Equipment: Bracers of Armor +1, Dagger +1 (x2), Dust of Disappearance (x2), Potion of Fly, Potion of Gaseous Form

Bleeding Wound (Ex): An invisible blade of 2nd level or higher who makes a successful dagger sneak attack can choose to deal a bleeding wound, sacrificing 1d6 points of the extra damage from the dagger sneak attack. Such an attack deals damage as normal in the round when the attack hits. Thereafter, the wound caused by the invisible blade’s dagger bleeds for 1 point of damage per round. Multiple wounds from the weapon result in cumulative bleeding loss (two wounds for 2 points of damage per round, and so on). The bleeding can only be stopped by a DC 15 Heal check or the application of any cure spell or other healing spell (heal, healing circle, and so on). Creatures immune to sneak attack damage are immune to bleeding wounds as well.

Fierce Loyalty (Ex): Driv'vt is fiecely loyal to Doriy'ya Dor'Korath. This gives him a +4 bonus against Enchantment Spells, +6 if any orders he receives go against Doriy'ya Dor'Korath directly or indirectly [this does not count against acts which would cause harm he doesn't know about. Example: Attacking her is obviously out of the question. Causing a building to fall down in an alley as she is entering it while being chased would grant him a +6 bonus to his save if he saw her entering before he caused the act. If he caused the building to fall down without realizing she was there, then he would not receive the full bonus].

Driv'vt is what some would call a flawed Human. Others would think him simply mentally derranged. All through his life as he grew up, he knew something was missing. He didn't know what it was and didn't know how to go searching for it. He lived a fairly miserable life as a farmer and despite his family's attempts, they could not raise enough money to change their situation. While he thought for a short time that becoming a different profession may help him, he realized that what he was looking for could not be found outside his self.

When Drow raided the farm and killed the other inhabitants, he knew exactly what he was missing. The Drow were supreme. They were powerful, merciless and, above all, looked cool. He alone was left alive within the carnage and he devoted himself to causing the same destruction the murderers of his family had caused. He emulated the Drow to the best of his ability, even enduring the pain to tattoo his entire body black and bleach his hair to a stark white color. Minor illusions cast by a spellcaster he killed afterwards keep his eyes a dark red color, though people who know Drow can see that his eyes are not quite right [Spot check DC 15 for those familiar - having encountered - with Drow, DC 20 for those who are not].

His greatest moment in life was when he met Doriy'ya Dor'Korath and she agreed to let him work for her. She has given him his purpose in life and he refuses to let anything take that away from him. While he cares greatly about his life and will flee before being killed, he will gladly die a thousand deaths if it means saving Doriy'ya Dor'Korath.

Drow Race: MM
Fighter Class: PH
Invisible Blade PrC: Complete Warrior
Rogue Class: PH

Link: Doriy'ya Dor'Korath

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Goblins, Part 5: Statted Goblins

These are some sample Goblins from the various castes. While their templating ability makes it impossible to sample out every type of Goblin, I will be statting out some basic Goblins from each class, then some from a little higher and also a couple of specialized Goblins. As I'm not entirely sure what I will be doing as of yet, you'll have to wait to see what I do. :) I will probably just be coming back to this post and editing it for the general Goblins. Any 'special' NPC Goblins will have their own post, however.

Note: These all use the Standard array for stats. [And MAN, creatures are weak using the standard array without any buff bonuses that many creatures have.]

First up is the General Warrior Caste Goblin. Personally, I dislike the Warrior NPC class, so I use Fighter instead. :) The basic Warrior Caste Goblin is a Fighter 1. While other classed Goblins certainly do exist, Fighter is the most common.

[sblock=Fighter Goblin]Goblin of the Warrior Caste
Size/Type: Small Humanoid [Goblin] Fighter 1
Hit Dice:
1d10+2 (12 hp)
Speed: 20 ft
Armor Class: 17 (+1 size, +2 Dex, +2 leather armor, +2 shield), touch 13, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-2
Attack: Spear +2 melee (1d6+1)
Full Attack: Spear +2 melee (1d6+1)
Special Attacks: None
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft, Plant Traits, Transmutation Protection
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +1, Will -1
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 9, Cha 6
Skills: Climb +5, Hide +5
Feats: Phalanx Fighting, Swarmfighting, Weapon Focus (Spear) (Bonus)
Organization: Goblin Society
Challenge Rating: 1
Alignment: Any
Advancement: By Class[/sblock]

This is the generic Worker Caste Goblin. It is impossible to show all the combinations of Professions and what non-Profession/Craft skills may go along with it. This book: Everyone Else is a good book which could spice up the Goblins a lot. Feel free to switch around Wis for Cha for example, if the Goblin is more into Perform than Profession.

This also goes to show how poor Fighters these Goblins are. They tend to carry around daggers with them because wars tend to be violent, but if the Worker Caste is Fighting, then it's pretty much guaranteed that this Goblin city has fallen and they're simply trying to take down as many of the enemy as possible before they are totally annihilated.

[sblock=Worker Goblin]Goblin of the Worker Caste
Size/Type: Small Humanoid [Goblin] Expert 1
Hit Dice:
1d6-2 (4 hp)
Initiative: +0
Armor Class: 11 (+1 size), touch 11, flat-footed 11
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-5
Attack: Dagger -1 melee (1d3-1/19-20)
Full Attack: Dagger -1 melee (1d3-1/19-20)
Saves: Fort -2, Ref +0, Will +3
Abilities: Str 9, Dex 10, Con 7, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 10
Skills: Appraise +5, Craft (any one) +5, Knowledge (any one) +5, Perform (any one) +4, Profession (any two) +5, Sense Motive +5
Feats: 1 Open, Skill Focus (Any Prof. or Craft)
Challenge Rating: 1/2
Advancement: By Class[/sblock]

Magician Caste Goblins are actually fairly weak, but their main task is to continue the cycle of creating Goblins. Thus, they tend to not pay much attention to the outside world except for a small few. Those few are more powerful and capable than the other Magicians, but as defenders of their people, they need to be. Unfortunately, they are also fewer in number.

[Sblock=Magician Goblin]Goblin of the Magician Caste
Size/Type: Small Humanoid [Goblin] Wizard 1
Hit Dice:
1d4-2 (2 hp)
Armor Class: 12 (+1 size, +1 Dex), touch 12, flat-footed 11
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-6
Attack: Crossbow +1 ranged (1d6)
Full Attack: Crossbow +1 ranged (1d6)
Saves: Fort -2, Ref +1, Will +2
Abilities: Str 6, Dex 13, Con 7, Int 15, Wis 10, Cha 14
Skills: Concentration +2, Kn (arcana) +8, Kn (dungeoneering) +8, Spellcraft +6
Feats: Education (Bonus), 1 open
Challenge Rating: 1
Advancement: By Class

Spells: 2
Known: Charm Person, Mage Armor, Ray of Enfeeblement, Unseen Servant

Prepared Normally:
1st - Charm Person, Unseen Servant
If Ready for Battle:
1st - Mage Armor, Ray of Enfeeblement[/sblock]

Last edited:

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Vargouille Template

So during our game of Expedition to Castle Ravenloft [after the knowledge of high deaths was passed around, they came to like it well enough], we occasionally make comments about the first death in the group: when a character became a Vargouille himself. I think I mentioned how neat it would be to have it as a template when the player found out that the town had been overrun and said that somewhere in that group of Undead was a floating head that looked like his old character.

So of course Medusa heads was mentioned. :) Here's the template for your viewing pleasure:

Vargouilles
Vargouilles are the heads of beings who are kissed by another Vargouille. It is not a pleasant process and only unfortunate people are forced to go through it.

"Vargouille" is a template which can be added to any living creature except for Plant which has a head.

Size and Type: Type becomes Aberration. Size decreases by one size.
Speed: The creature loses all movement speeds and gains a Fly speed of 30 ft (good). The only time it would retain its previous fly speed is if the creature's flight wasn't tied to its wings or another part of the body below the neckline. In such cases, it uses the flight speed and maneuverability of the Vargouille or its own, whichever is better.
Armor Class: The Vargouille's armor class is modified by the creature becoming one size category smaller [size bonus to AC, losing Natural Armor, and increase of Dexterity].
Attack: The creature loses all forms of attacks except for those emanating from the head [such as bite or headbutt]. If it did not have a bite attack from before, it gains one now. The damage of the bite is as the creature except that the die type decreases by one category. If the creature does not already have a bite attack, the damage of this new attack is 1d6 for Medium Vargouilles, 1d4 for Small Vargouilles, and 1d8 for Large Vargouilles.
Special Attacks: The Varguille loses all special attacks requiring body parts except for the head. Any attack form normally caused through the normal attack part is now added through the bite [such as poison normally dealt through the claw or a negative energy through a slam attack, for example]. It loses all benefits of attacks such as rend and tail slap. Vargouilles also gain the following abilities:

Kiss (Su): A vargouille can kiss a paralyzed target with a successful melee touch attack. An affected opponent must succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude save or begin a terrible transformation that turns the creature into a vargouille within 24 hours (and often much sooner; roll 1d6 separately for each phase of the transformation).

First, over a period of 1d6 hours, all the victim’s hair falls out. Within another 1d6 hours thereafter, the ears grow into leathery wings, tentacles sprout on the chin and scalp, and the teeth become long, pointed fangs. During the next 1d6 hours, the victim takes Intelligence drain and Charisma drain equal to 1 point per hour (to a minimum of 3). The transformation is complete 1d6 hours later, when the head breaks free of the body (which promptly dies) and becomes a vargouille. This transformation is interrupted by sunlight, and even a daylight spell can delay death, but to reverse the transformation requires remove disease. The save DC is Constitution-based and includes a +4 racial bonus.

Poison (Ex): Injury, Fortitude DC 12 or be unable to heal the vargouille’s bite damage naturally or magically. A neutralize poison or heal spell removes the effect, while delay poison allows magical healing. The save DC is Constitution-based and includes a +1 racial bonus.

Shriek (Su): Instead of biting, a vargouille can open its distended mouth and let out a terrible shriek. Those within 60 feet (except other vargouilles) who hear the shriek and can clearly see the creature must succeed on a DC 12 Fortitude save or be paralyzed with fear for 2d4 rounds or until the monster attacks them, goes out of range, or leaves their sight. A paralyzed creature is susceptible to the vargouille’s kiss (see below). A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected again by the same vargouille’s shriek for 24 hours. The shriek is a mind-affecting fear effect. The save DC is Constitution-based and includes a +1 racial bonus.

Special Qualities:
A Vargouille retains all special qualities of the base creature except for those pertaining solely to a body part below the neck. If the creature had spells, the creature must find a way to be able to cast them through verbal means only.

Abilities: +2 Dex, +2 Con, -6 Int [min 5], +2 Wis, -2 Cha.
Feats: It gains Weapon Finesse as a Bonus Feat.
Challenge Rating: The CR can vary greatly depending on the creature and what abilities it loses. In fact, creatures can frequently find themselves becoming lower in CR because they lose a large number of attack forms, for example.

Medusa Head
Size/Type: Small Aberration
Hit Dice: 6d8+6 (33 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: Fly 30 ft (good)
Armor Class: 16 (+2 Dex, +3 natural, +1 size), touch 13, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+0
Attack: Bite +11 melee (1d4-2) or snakes +11 melee (1d4-2 plus poison)
Full Attack: Bite +11 melee (1d4-2) and snakes +9 melee (1d4-2 plus poison)
Special Attacks: Kiss [DC 18], Petrifying gaze [DC 16], poison [Medusa; DC 14], Poison [Vargouille; DC 15], Shriek [DC 17]
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft.
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +9, Will +7
Abilities: Str 6, Dex 19, Con 12, Int 6, Wis 15, Cha 13
Skills: Bluff +8, Diplomacy +3, Hide +15, Intimidate +3, Move Silently +10, Spot +9
Feats: Ability Focus (Petrification), Ability Focus (Shriek), Multiattack, Weapon Finesse (Bonus)
Organization: Cluster (2-5) or mob (6-11)
Challenge Rating: 6
Treasure: Double standard
Alignment: Neutral evil

Kiss (Su): A vargouille can kiss a paralyzed target with a successful melee touch attack. An affected opponent must succeed on a Fortitude save or begin a terrible transformation that turns the creature into a vargouille within 24 hours (and often much sooner; roll 1d6 separately for each phase of the transformation).

First, over a period of 1d6 hours, all the victim’s hair falls out. Within another 1d6 hours thereafter, the ears grow into leathery wings, tentacles sprout on the chin and scalp, and the teeth become long, pointed fangs. During the next 1d6 hours, the victim takes Intelligence drain and Charisma drain equal to 1 point per hour (to a minimum of 3). The transformation is complete 1d6 hours later, when the head breaks free of the body (which promptly dies) and becomes a vargouille. This transformation is interrupted by sunlight, and even a daylight spell can delay death, but to reverse the transformation requires remove disease. The save DC is Constitution-based and includes a +4 racial bonus.

Petrifying Gaze (Su): Turn to stone permanently, 30 feet. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Poison (Ex): Injury, be unable to heal the vargouille’s bite damage naturally or magically. A neutralize poison or heal spell removes the effect, while delay poison allows magical healing. The save DC is Constitution-based and includes a +1 racial bonus.

Poison (Ex): Injury, initial damage 1d6 Str, secondary damage 2d6 Str. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Shriek (Su): Instead of biting, a vargouille can open its distended mouth and let out a terrible shriek. Those within 60 feet (except other vargouilles) who hear the shriek and can clearly see the creature must succeed on a Fortitude save or be paralyzed with fear for 2d4 rounds or until the monster attacks them, goes out of range, or leaves their sight. A paralyzed creature is susceptible to the vargouille’s kiss (see below). A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected again by the same vargouille’s shriek for 24 hours. The shriek is a mind-affecting fear effect. The save DC is Constitution-based and includes a +1 racial bonus.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases