Dog Moon's Creatures [Updated 10-05-13]

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Okay, I know it's been a while [sorry!] but guess what? I found a group of creatures that I had worked on at one point in time. However, they don't have anything beyond stats, so once I work up a little bit of magic, I should be able to post them a little more frequently than what I have been doing recently, which totally shouldn't be very difficult. :)

Know that no matter how far behind I've gotten, I will never forget about this thread!

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Jdvn1 said:
Forgotten--cool creatures and a plot hook! Neat. :D

Glad you're still looking at this thread, if not quite so frequently as before. Working on something atm. Should be posting it later today. Although I like the idea of putting up backgrounds and plot hooks, sometimes it's just so darn tedious!

As for the Forgotten, I'm glad you like them. I was trying to both keep in with the spirit of the show and give them a neat ability or two, especially ones that weren't necessarily solely combative. I think one thing I dislike is that despite there being so many monster books, most monsters is made solely to be encountered in a straightup combat instead of made to be interesting.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Tressa, Part 1

Okay, this will be a couple parter because of the nature of this place.

Background
She bounces the child upon her knee and the child squeals in delight. Only a year old, this seems to be the child's most favorite activity in the world, followed by crawling as a quick second. The child, a baby boy, was always seen crawling when not in the arms of his mother. Though the world the child could crawl to was in reality small, to the boy, it was the whole world. The child never tired of crawling through the house despite the fact that he had already seen everything in it many times. Perhaps the child forgot what he saw immediately after seeing it and thus everything was always new to him. Or perhaps he didn't care about the sites, but was highly into exercise. His mother didn't know.

She worried about him occasionally. She had made everything as child proof as she could, but she worried when she would have to watch him everytime she opened the in case he tried to escape like the lizards they kept. She didn't know what she would do then. Her precious child had rarely been away from her sight longer than a few minutes, with the exception of when she was sleeping or in the hands of his father. She knew the child's father would take loving care with their child. Eventually, the child would grow into a young man and be taught to hunt, as were all their children.

"But there is one spot where you should not go," she whispered to the boy who laughed as he was bounced upon her knee. "An evil spirit lives there, a spirit who was once living but now is trapped between the living and the dead. Peace will never find her and where she goes, she brings only conflict. It is said that this area was once a lush forest, beautiful enough to make even the hated Elves jealous of our land. Just as the forest lost it's beauty, so did we as well."

The woman smiles faintly, lost in thought, barely aware of the child giggling on her lap. "Dryads are a creature of the forest, a beautiful woman bonded to a tree that she cannot, even had she wanted to, break free from. This forest used to contain many of them, but a single Dryad, one who had turned her back on the ways of her kind, destroyed them all. Her heart became twisted as her tree slowly and painfully died. However, it did not fully die. No, undeath gripped the tree and because of her bond, she had been snared by undeath as well. Her heart, irrevocably broken, darkened her thoughts. She lashed out at all near her, striking her neighboring Dryads who had been forced to watch her change.

"The sickness spread out as she strengthened. The forest began to fail, to die. This occurred over the course of but a single year. Our people attempted to stop this maddened Dryad, but failed miserably. Only a few of them returned and the horrors they speak of I cannot repeat to you at this young of an age. Suffice to say that it was not a pretty sight. The border of the Dryad's territory eventually stopped growing. She dwells in the center of this swamp, unable to exit her barrier of death. We are safe from her as long as we do not set foot in her territy. I know you love to travel, young one, but please, never go into Tressa's land."

Tressa's Territory
Tressa's territory consists of a 2-mile radius area in the center of the swamp. A heavy aura of death lays over the swamp, causing any who enter to feel sick [DC 23 or be sickened while within the area]. In the exact center of this unholiest of sites sits the remains of a huge tree. This is the tree Tressa is bounded to, even in death. Beneath the trunk, hidden in the ground, is a small oak box with a sapphire engraved with tiny runes laced in lines of silver. It itself is worth a fortune and though those familiar with lichdom would believe the gem to be Tressa's phylactery, the truth is that the tree itself is the phylactery. [147 hp; 16d12 HD; AC 14 (-4 size, -5 for 9 Dex, +13 NA); DR 10/slashing, vulnerability to fire]. Note: The tree cannot attack or move. The stats above are for those attempting to destroy it.

Lizardfolk live within the swamp. While most Lizardfolk stay far enough away from the unholy site to be considered safe in case Tressa's territory is ever increased, some have chosen to live closer to the site to serve as a rearguard so their people can have enough time to flee from Tressa if necessary. Living this close to an area surrounded in death has changed them. Note: The other Lizardfolk within the swamp are as normal.

Lizardfolk Undead-Blooded Ranger 2
Size/Type:
Medium Humanoid (Reptilian)
Hit Dice: 4d8+4 (28 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 18 (+5 natural, +3 studded leather), touch 10, flat-footed 18

Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+5
Attack: Battleaxe +4 melee (1d8+1/x3) or javelin +3 ranged (1d6+1)
Full Attack: Battleaxe +2 melee (1d8+1/x3) and hand axe +2 melee (1d6/x3) and bite +2 melee (1d4); or javelin +3 ranged (1d6+1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Detect Undead, Favored Enemy (Undead), Smite Undead
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft, Hold breath, Necromancy Affinity, Necromantic Resistance

Saves: Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +1
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 10, Con 13, Int 9, Wis 12, Cha 10

Skills: Balance +3, Intimidate +2, Jump +4, Survival +6, Swim +1

Feats: Multiattack, Track (Bonus), Two-Weapon Fighting (Bonus)

Challenge Rating: 4

Detect Undead (Sp): At will, an undead-blooded can cast detect undead. Caster level equals the undead-blooded’s character Hit Dice.

Necromancy Affinity (Ex): Undead-blooded cast spells from the necromancy school of magic at +1 caster level.

Necromantic Resistance (Ex): The undead-blooded’s necromantic origin grants it a +2 racial bonus on saves against ability damage, ability drain, death effects, disease, energy drain, mind-affecting effects, poison, paralysis, sleep, and stunning.

Smite Undead (Su): Once per day, an undead-blooded can attempt to smite undead with one normal melee attack. The undead-blooded adds its Charisma bonus (if positive) as a bonus on the attack roll and deals 1 extra point of damage per Hit Die. The smite has no effect, but is still used up for that day, if the undeadblooded uses it on a creature that is not undead.

Lizardfolk: Monster Manual
Ranger Class: Player's Handbook
Undead-Blooded Template: Book of Templates [Silverthorn Games]

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Dog Moon said:
Glad you're still looking at this thread, if not quite so frequently as before. Working on something atm. Should be posting it later today.
I don't think you have to feel that you have to post these on a schedule, just whenever you can. I like being pleasantly surprised whenever I look in here. ;)
Dog Moon said:
Although I like the idea of putting up backgrounds and plot hooks, sometimes it's just so darn tedious!
Is that the hardest part?
Dog Moon said:
As for the Forgotten, I'm glad you like them. I was trying to both keep in with the spirit of the show and give them a neat ability or two, especially ones that weren't necessarily solely combative. I think one thing I dislike is that despite there being so many monster books, most monsters is made solely to be encountered in a straightup combat instead of made to be interesting.
I don't think I know the show. Sounds neat, though!

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Jdvn1 said:
I don't think you have to feel that you have to post these on a schedule, just whenever you can. I like being pleasantly surprised whenever I look in here. ;)

Well, I wasn't trying to necessarily keep to a set schedule cause I need some time to think about things, though I was still trying to update a little frequently.

Jdvn1 said:
Is that the hardest part?

Making the creature interesting, in my experience, is the hardest part. This can either be in the idea of the creature [Like what creature/template/class combinations to pick] or the background. I could throw up misc statblocks easily, but they wouldn't have the quality or interest I'm trying to stick to.

Jdvn1 said:
I don't think I know the show. Sounds neat, though!

It's an anime I saw. Hrm, I forget the name though. You watch anime at all?

Note: Been playing Dnd all weekend, so I haven't been able to finish the newest creature. :)

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Dog Moon said:
It's an anime I saw. Hrm, I forget the name though. You watch anime at all?
Some, but just a little bit, sporadically. I like it, but don't own any and have very few if any people to watch with. There's a movie theater by my house that shows free anime stuff Tuesday nights, but those are usually busy nights for me.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Tressa, Part 2

Tressa
Dryad Druid5/Blighter6 Lich Evolved Undead
Size/Type:
Medium Undead
Hit Dice: 15d12 (138 hp)
Initiative: +4
Armor Class: 20 (+4 Dex, +6 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 16

Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+9
Attack: Touch +13 melee touch attack (1d8+5 negative energy ; Will DC 23 Half)
Full Attack: Touch +13 melee touch attack (1d8+5 negative energy ; Will DC 23 Half)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Wild empathy, DR 15/bludgeoning and magic and DR 5/cold iron, Immunities to cold, electricity, polymorph, and mind-affecting attacks, +4 turn resistance, fast heal 3, Undead traits

Saves: Fort +10, Ref +11, Will +17
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 19, Con -, Int 16, Wis 19, Cha 22

Skills: Concentration +12, Escape Artist +11, Handle Animal +18, Hide +21, Knowledge (nature) +17, Listen +23, Move Silently +21, Ride +11, Search +11, Sense Motive +12, Spellcraft +15, Spot +24, Survival +16, Use Rope +4 (+6 with bindings)

Feats: Corpse Crafter, Craft Wondrous Item, Deadly Chill, Destruction Retribution, Stealthy, Weapon Finesse

Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Solitary or grove (4-7)
Challenge Rating: 17
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment:

Fear Aura (Su): Liches are shrouded in a dreadful aura of death and evil. Creatures of less than 5 HD in a 60-foot radius that look at the lich must succeed at a Will save or be affected as though by fear as cast by a sorcerer of the lich’s level.

Paralyzing Touch (Su): Any living creature the lich touches must succeed at a Fortitude save or be permanently paralyzed. Remove paralysis or any spell that can remove a curse can free the victim (see the bestow curse spell). The effect cannot be dispelled. Anyone paralyzed by a lich seems dead, though a successful Spot check (DC 20) or Heal check (DC 15) reveals that the victim is still alive. This power works in conjunction with the lich’s damaging touch (see above).

Deforestation (Sp)

Blightfire (Su): Standard action, 5d6 fire damage to all within 10 feet (Ref 20 half) and ignites flammables

Undead Wild Shape (Sp) [Large]

Speak with Dead Animals (Sp): 1/day, as Speak with Dead, but only animals. CL 11.

Contagious Touch (Su): 1/day as contagious touch spell.

Animate Dead Animal (Sp): 1/day, only animals, no material component

At will—entangle (DC 15), speak with plants, tree shape; 3/day— charm person (DC 15), deep slumber (DC 17), tree stride; 1/day—suggestion (DC 17), cloudkill (DC 19). Caster level 6th. The save DCs are Wisdom-based.

Spells: 4/4/4/3/1/0 DC 14 + spell level
1st- Bane, Inflict Light Wounds, Ray of Enfeeblement (x2)
2nd- Chill Touch, Darkness, Inflict Moderate Wounds, Warp Wood
3rd- Contagion, Desecrate, Inflict Serious Wounds, Poison
4th- Blight, Inflict Critical Wounds, Unhallow
5th- Waves of Fatigue

Appearance
Tressa is still quite similar to a normal Dryad except for two things: upon her slightly darkened body are dark spots, what some might believe to be scorch marks while more knowledgeable folk would choose to believe that it is the signs of death upon her body. The other are her eyes. They show hate and are constantly in motion as if it was impossible for them to look in a direction for more than three seconds. Tressa wears nothing; uses no equipment despite the stories of her having a massive treasure horde [it may be a good idea to reduce the CR of Tressa by 1 or 2].

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Terra, Part 3

How this creature came to be, not even Terra fully understands. While she wanted something to protect her tree, all she could create were animated animals. However, it seemed that the ground itself reacted to her desires and the evil within the land rose with the ground into a vaguely humanoid shape.

This Elemental has no name and in fact, Terra never speaks with it or really even thinks about it. It serves its purpose and only if it didn't would she have something to say to or about it. It hides in the ground, waiting for intruders, of which there are very few. Although intelligent, the Elemental does not have much of a personality. If it can even speak, Terra has no idea.

Okay, I think the only thing I did differently was not reduce the Elemental's stats as the Necromental says I'm supposed to do. I wanted an at least Average Intelligent creature instead of a virtually mindless creature [Went better with this idea, I think]. And I don't know if the Fast Healing of the Evolved Undead is technically supposed to stack with its original Fast Healing, but since there are a few Undead with that ability, I thought Evolved Undead should. Note: I used stuff from Libris Mortis, but I don't think you technically need the book cause I've detailed most of what it gets from the book. Also, the area the Elemental is supposed to protect is the Blighted Area which has enough bodies in it it could probably be considered as a crude graveyard.

Evolved Necromental Earth Elemental, Elder Tomb Warden 3
Size/Type:
Huge Elemental (Augmented, Earth, Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 27d12 (246 hp)
Initiative: -1
Armor Class: 25 (-2 size, -1 Dex, +18 natural), touch 7, flat-footed 25

Base Attack/Grapple: +21/+41
Attack: Slam +31 melee (2d10+12/19-20)
Full Attack: 2 slams +31 melee (2d10+12/19-20)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
Special Attacks: Create Spawn, Earth mastery, Energy drain, push
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/-, earth glide, darkvision 60 ft., elemental traits, fast healing 6, Power of the Dead, Positive Energy Resistance 10, Tomb Sense, Turn Immunity

Saves: Fort +17, Ref +8, Will +11
Abilities: Str 35, Dex 8, Con -, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 14

Skills: Listen +30, Sense Motive +4, Spot +30

Feats: Awesome Blow, Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Critical (slam), Improved Sunder, Improved Toughness, Iron Will, Positive Energy Resistance, Power Attack

Environment: Elemental Plane of Earth
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 17
Treasure: None
Alignment: Usually neutral
Advancement: 25-48 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment:

Create Spawn (Su): An elemental slain by a necromental's energy drain attack rises as a necromental 1d4 days after death.

Energy Drain (Su): Living creatures hit by a necromental's natural weapon attack gains one negative level. A necromental can use its energy drain ability once per round, regardless of the number of natural weapon attacks the necromental possesses. The save DC to remove the negative level 24 hours later is 10 + 1/2 the necromental's HD. When a necromental bestows a negative level on a victim, it gains 5 temporary hit points (10 on a critical hit). These temporary hit points last for up to 1 hour.

Power o the Dead (Su): While it is within the tomb, graveyard, or similar resting palce it protects, a 3rd-level tomb warden can call upon the spirits of the dead to gain insight from them. This ability requires only a free action to activate, and grants the tomb warden an insight bonus on attack rolls, damage rolls, and saving throws equal to its Charisma modifier (minimum +1). A tomb warden can use this ability once per day, and its effects last for 10 mins.

Spell-Like Ability: 1/day - Unholy Blight. Caster level 27.

Tomb Sense (Su): While it is within the tomb, graveyard, or similar resting place it protects, a tomb warden of 2nd level or higher automatically knows the precise location of all intruders within that tomb. This ability is similar to blindsense, except that it functions without regard to line of effect and its effect extends to every portion of the tomb.

Turn Immunity (Ex): As long as it is within the tomb, graveyard, or similar resting place that it protects, a tomb warden is immune to turning or rebuking attempts. It can still be bolstered as normal.

Earth Elemental: Monster Manual
Evolved Undead Template: Libris Mortis
Necromental Template: Libris Mortis
Tomb Warden PrC: Libris Mortis

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases