Dog Moon's Creatures [Updated 10-05-13]

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Sceaduwe Fyr

And another update, impressive since I only recently updated this thread again. This was based off a picture that I saw and for some reason decided it could make a cool Demoness. However, in the middle of making it, I thought of what I considered to be a more interesting 'ecology' for this creature and then stuck with that, though I also added in the option of Demons being able to create these in a way, though it would not be an easy task. Not even Chaotic Demons are capable of controlling Chaos and since the creation of these things is almost random, though should not be able to be created en masse. In case you're curious, and you notice such details, I did take the base Erinyes and modified some of it's stuff to be more appropriate to be what I wanted.

I think this is the second time I've used a weird variant of Barbarian Rage to simulate an ability of a creature. I'm not sure why, but I do think it is sometimes fitting, and I kinda liked the idea of this creature's Shadowy Form, but didn't want to have it be something it could always do. So, I treated it similar to the Barbarian Rage ability.

Btw, this is the image that influenced the creature of this creature.
fpgirl_by_F_P_G.jpg

Sceaduwe Fyr
Size/Type: Medium Outsider (Chaotic, Evil, Extraplanar, Fire)
Hit Dice:
9d8+45 (102 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 40 ft
Armor Class: 27 (+5 Dex, +8 natural, +4 wis), touch 19, flat-footed 18

Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+14
Attack: Slam +14 melee (1d6+5 +1d6 fire) or Touch +14 melee touch (1d3 Str)
Full Attack: Flurry +12/+12/+7
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: -
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/good, darkvision 60 ft, immunity to fire and poison, monk abilities, resistance to acid 10, see in darkness, shadowy form, spell resistance 20, telepathy 100 ft, true seeing

Saves: Fort +11, Ref +11, Will +10
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 21, Con 21, Int 14, Wis 18, Cha 20

Skills: Balance +17, Diplomacy +7, Escape Artist +17, Hide +17, Intimidate +17, Listen +16, Move Silently +17, Search +14, Sense Motive +16, Spot +16, Tumble +17

Feats: COmbat Expertise, DodgeB, Improved Trip, MobilityB, Power Attack, Spring Attack

Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 9
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Advancement: 10-18 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: -

Appearance
The midsection of this beautiful fiendish woman cannot be seen, so deeply hidden within shadows does it hide. Rising up, the figure of the Scaeduwe Fyr slowly appears and finally at her breasts can a hint of color be seen, though the light color of her skin cannot be truly seen until just beneath the pair of curled horns sticking up and the unruly mass of flaming red hair like a pyre, twisting whether there is any wind or not.

Heading down from the midsection, the barest trace of her hips can be seen within the shadows and only when the long thighs appear from her body can that same hint of color be seen. It does not take long before red lines like cracks of lava appearing through old rock cross her thighs and trail down to her feet. Feet as red and hot as the depths of hell stand upon the ground, melting the very stone itself in a lick of flame.

No arms can be seen among the Scaeduwe Fyr and only a pair of tiny red dots mark her eyes.

COMBAT
Scaeduwe Fyr are special. With a Base Attack of +9, they normally have two attacks. The first consists of their slam attack, essentially, their feet, which is why they also deal additional fire damage. However, they also have a second attack. While it appears that the Scaeduwe Fyr has no arms, they are in truth the entirety of the shadows surrounding her. When they touch the target, they sap the strength from any living target it touches. When making an attack action, the Scaeduwe Fyr can switch back and forth using any combination of these two attacks.

Monk Abilities: The Scaeduwe Fyr are effectively third level in consideration for the AC bonus granted by the Monk Class, the speed, Flurry of Blows, and Unarmed Damage. While in the statblock their attack is listed as a slam attack, this is in fact their unarmed strike. Unlike what would normally be the case, the shadows and the touch attack count as part of this unarmed strike. These abilities stack with any class levels of Monk or other classes with similar abilities.

Special: The Strength damaging strick also increases if the Scaeduwe Fyr takes levels in the Monk class. This is always treated as one-half the die of their Unarmed Strike [d10 becomes d5, where a 1-2 on a d10 becomes 1, 3-4 become 2, etc].

Shadowy Form: 1/day, for a number of rounds equal to 3 + their Constitution modifier, Scaeduwe Fyr can force their entire bodies to fade into a shadowy substance, quenching the fire which burns within them, causing their bodies to suddenly freeze. Because they are shadowy versions of themselves, they gain a +8 bonus on their Hide checks. The freezing part of the shadow means their kick attacks now deal cold damage. Also, all living creatures within 10 feet take cold damage equal to the die of the Strength damaging attacking. The Scaeduwe Fyr is effectively stealing the warmth of the creatures and absorbing it within themselves, healing the amount of damage they have dealt.

Ecology
Scaeduwe Fyr are not technically natural creatures in the world, though what creates them has sadly become a natural thing. In the dark, near campfires, are common occurrances among those enjoying the woods or by adventurers traveling through the world. Ambushes happen all too frequently during these times. Most of the time, nothing arises from this except for the deaths of the attackers or the ambushed. Other times, great pain is brought down upon the innocent, causing these souls to be tormented. These souls do not become ghosts, but instead wrap themselves with the nearest elements at hand: the flames and the shadows. These are wrapped tightly around the soul so greatly so that the soul becomes physical in form. Then, with feelings of only hate and pain, the souls are freed into the world.

While every case of Scaeduwe Fyrs being seen have been female - some male scholars say this is because women are weaker to pain and thus feel it more and resent it greatly, but they tend to be looked down, especially among the female scholars - that isn't to say that male Scaeduwe Fyr do not exist.

Recently, however, several Scaeduwe Fyr have been seen on the side of the Demons, to the horror of onlookers, not to say that the rest of the horde didn't cause as much horror, but it is certainly a fearsome thing if the Demons have managed to replicate what needs to be done to cause form in the souls of these poor women.

Last edited:

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Goblins, Part 1: Society

Okay, I've been having some trouble making this sound good and coherent, so I'm going to be posting my Goblins in pieces as I get everything put together in my head. Discussion and help is certainly allowed. Remember that the quicker I get done with this, the quicker I can return to other monsters. ;)

Society
Goblin society must first be separated into three different groups, or castes, as they are more frequently know. These castes are the worker caste, the soldier caste, and the magician caste. All three castes within Goblin society have important roles and while each may claim their superiority over the others - though most often to themselves instead of outwardly where the other castes can hear such comments - the truth is that while some may be more important at times, all three are considered equal to the others.

The role of the Worker caste is, as the name puts it, to work. These are the skilled laborers, the professionals [in game terms, anyone who has ranks in Craft or Profession and occasionally Perform. However, the Knowledge skills are generally left to the magicians, with the exception of knowledges such as engineering and architecture]. Running the Goblin cities and making sure they function well, as well as producing food and other necessities for life, fall under the domain of the worker caste.

The soldier caste contains only warriors. These contain the strongest of the Goblins, though they are also the least intelligent, with the exception of those who have the highest rank. The Goblin Generals can be quite clever and intelligent, much like Generals in the Human armies. The warriors are only somewhat common during times of peace, the general populace made up of the worker caste, but when times of war are approaching or upon them, the soldier caste grows greatly to contain the highest percentage of Goblins. After times of hostility, their numbers are allowed to dwindle again to the required amount to keep their cities safe and patrol the streets.

The magician caste is special because they control the magic. However, they are also the fewest, albeit the most powerful, in number. While part of their job is to protect the Goblin city from outside spellcaster threats, their most important task within Goblin society is to see to the Vine, as it has been dubbed. It is their lifeforce which allows the Vine to grow and to produce more Goblins. If the entire population of magicians has been annihilated, that Goblin society will crumble and fall apart within a short amount of time. Thus while some may participate in battle, the soldiers are considered much more expendable and most of the magicians stay back, even when their presence may be considered necessary.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Goblins, Part 2: The Vine

The Vine
The Vine is a great mass of vines twisted and interlocked so tightly that for all intents and purposes, is a single vine. The Vine is an ugly thing, a dark greenish-black plant constantly pulsing with life, a terror in the minds of those who see it. Within this Vine - while it is made of a mass of vines and while there are in fact more than one massive 'Vine', the Vine is simply the general name for it referred to by the Goblins - is numerous lightly colored [sky blue, which is the closest view of the sky most of the Goblins will ever see - orbs with vague forms within them.

The forms are the Goblins as they are growing into adulthood. The Vine is their home for a very short time - days - before the Goblins leave the protection of the orb and must face life with the rest of their comrades for their short lifespan.

Contained within the Vine if the life essence of thousands of Goblins simultaneously. Some have theorized that the Vine itself is at least lightly intelligent and is able to take steps to protect itself from outsiders, but few enough people have ever seen the great Vine in a Goblin city to determine the truth of this. Most suspect that it is easy to destroy, though it is protected from simple weapons and only some magics.

While maturing within the orbs of the vine, the Goblins and the Vine live in a somewhat symbiotic relationship. The Vine protects the Goblins within the tough orbs and it gives the energy needed to grow, the same sort of energy needed by a babe within the mother's wound, but on a greater level because these Goblins leave the Vine as full adults. The grown Goblins, on the other hand, give a part of their own life energy in return to keep the Vine alive. When necessary, the Vine will also absorb a growing Goblin into itself, though it only does this if too many Goblins are growing within and it isn't receiving enough energy to sustain itself.

Within a Goblin the city, the Vine is a single long vine near the center of the city, though in a few cases, it has been heard that the Goblins sacrifice additional lives - rarely their own - to strengthen the Vine considerably so and create the outer wall with it, saving the rest of the Vine on the inside for growing more Goblins.

The Vine can be severed and the Goblins have occasionally done this in the past to move part of their population outward because of their short lifespan. They will part this part of the Vine on a cart or similar movable device, and hurry to their destination. When there, they will plant this piece of the Vine and create a small village. It is these small, and unfortunately numerous, villages which are most often encountered and destroyed.

Special: The magician caste has complete control over which Goblins are created - aka, which Caste they will go into. They decide if more of something is needed. For example, during a war, they will create more members of the Warrior Caste than of the Worker Caste. However, they can also be much more specific. During this war, it is highly likely they will need war machines and weapons. They can choose to grow weapon smiths and builders of catapults, ballistas, or whatever. While the idea is incomprehensible to most, for the members of the Magician Caste, it is almost like having a list of all Goblins and all possible skills available to them and then picking and choosing which ones they want.

Even more special, and something most do not have knowledge of, is that the Magicians can expend more energy to modify more than just the memories of the Goblins to be grown. They can actually modify the physical body with unbelievable effects. They can effectively add templates to the Goblins which could not normally be done without an active parent, such as Half-Dragon. This is rarely down, however, because it requires more resources, but the Magicians will modify special Goblins - such as the protectors of their leaders, for example - or in cases which are needed for survival - if they are being attacked and slaughtered by creatures dealing fire damage, the Magicians will start growing Goblins with a template giving them resistance to fire or even immunity.

[The Goblins can add any template, even some which may normally not be available to the Goblins, except for the following exceptions - templates which turn the Goblins into Undead, Constructs, or Plants or which modify Undead and Constructs. Other templates may be added onto the Goblins but their type doesn't change. Instead, they gain that new type as a Subtype and are considered as that type for effects which affect that type as well as the Goblin's original type. For example, a Half-Demon Goblin stays as a Plant, but gains the [Outsider] subtype and can be affected by spells and abilities which target Outsiders as if they were Outsiders as well as Plants].

Last edited:

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Goblins, Part 3: Religion

Note: For this, I am using one of the deities in my homebrewn world. While some details are written here, this is where other information can be found on this deity: Webyrd. This is her portfolio to give you an idea of what she is: Portfolio: Farming, Flowers/Plants, Rebirth/Renewal, Servitude, Spring.

Religion
While most would not expect this and, in fact, would scoff at the idea that the Goblins would worship such a deity considering what they perceive to be the vile nature of the Goblins versus the sweet, beautiful nature of Webyrd, the Goblins hold her in the highest regard. They actually believe themselves to be her representatives, made solely by her for her purposes. Considering that they are made of plants themselves and that when they die and a new Goblin is grown, their memories are essentially reincarnated within that new Goblin, those willing to ignore the prejudices of the Goblins may perhaps actually believe this themselves.

Webyrd is revered by all the Goblins with very few exceptions. While it might be thought that each caste may have their own deity or at the least that the Warrior Caste would worship the God of War, this is not the case. In fact, the Goblin Warriors are quite content to die in battle because they know that their memories will be reincarnated into another body and that their soul will go to Webyrd's pasture, the Vineyard.

Goblins believe that Webyrd watches over the Webyrd, treating as her own farmland to be cultivated. The Goblins, as her flock, are those chosen to be with her and with their help, they will show the other races in death what they cannot learn in life: life is fleeting, but death is glorious and reincarnation is the greatest honor, the will of Webyrd. No other race has such a swift growth and short lifespan; thus none can truly understand the feelings of Webyrd beyond their own kind.

Goblins do not have any holidays or celebrations of any sort. The reason is simple: most Goblins would not live to see a single holiday which came about once per year. The view life itself as a celebration, a sign that they worship Webyrd. In life they worship and no holiday could make them any more devout.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Riliyana of the Hammers of Moradin

Okay, this was a character I made who was going to be a Cleric Fighter. Around the same time, I was looking through the Player's Guide to Faerun and decided I liked the Hammer of Moradin. However, I'm not a big fan of Dwarves, but then I found the PrC Stoneblessed in Races of Stone which basically turns the character into a 'Dwarf-friend'. Unfortunately, my character was Chaotic Good, not fitting for the PrC, as well as being a Human.

So, with a few modifications to my history and working in-game to have my character shift personality and alignment, my character became a Hammer of Moradin. It was enjoyable to play this character and the DM liked putting in the occasional Dwarf because the way he played them and the way I played Riliyana, I was more devout to Moradin than like 90% of this followers.

Riliyana has a feat called Extend Goblinkiller. Basically, this is treated like Extend Rage, essentially adding 5 rounds to this ability since my character technically didn't have a single round and we didn't want it to be a useless ability.

Riliyana
Human Cleric 3/Fighter 3/Stoneblessed 3/Hammer of Moradin 5
Size/Type:
Medium Humanoid
Hit Dice: 6d8+8d10+42 (140 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 20 ft
Armor Class: 24 (+10 full plate, +4 shield), touch 10, flat-footed 24

Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+16
Attack: Warhammer +20 melee (1d8+7 [19-20/x3])
Full Attack: Warhammer +20/+15 melee (1d8+7 [19-20/x3])
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Drowbasher, Far Shot, Goblin Killer, Power Strike 2/day, Quake
Special Qualities: Aura of Courage, DR 2/-, Hammer Throw, Powerful Grip, Stonecunning
Saves: Fort +17, Ref +4, Will +11
Abilities: Str 19, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 8

Skills: Appraise +4, Concentration +9, Craft (Stoneworking) +10, Craft (Weaponsmithing) +21, Intimidate +2, Search +8, Spellcraft +9

Feats: Brutal Throw, Extend Goblinkiller, Great Fortitude (Bonus), Improved Bull Rush, Improved Critical (Warhammer), Iron Will, Power Attack, Practiced Spellcaster, Skill Focus (Craft Weaponsmithing; Bonus), Weapon Focus (Warhammer)

Challenge Rating: 14
Treasure: Dwarvencraft Adamantine Warhammer +3 holy, Dwarvencraft Full Plate +2, Dwarvencraft Heavy Steel Shield +2, Cloak of Resistance +1
Alignment: LG

Hammer Throw (Ex): A hammer of Moradin may use his warhammer as a thrown weapon with a range increment of 20 feet. He takes no additional penalties for using the weapon in this fashion.

Goblinkiller (Su): Beginning at 2nd level, the hammer of Moradin may imbue any warhammer with the goblinoid bane property as a move action. This ability may be used once per day, and the effect lasts a number of rounds equal to the hammer of Moradin’s Charisma modifier.

Hammer Return (Su): When the hammer of Moradin reaches 2nd level, any warhammer he throws gains the returning special ability. A returning warhammer flies through the air back to the hammer of Moradin, returning just before his next turn, so that it is ready to use again in that turn. Catching the warhammer when it comes back is a free action. If the hammer of Moradin can’t catch it, or if he has moved since throwing it, the warhammer drops to the ground in the square from which it was thrown.

Powerful Grip (Ex): At 3rd level, the hammer of Moradin gains a bonus equal to one-half his Strength bonus (rounded down) on damage rolls when wielding a warhammer in melee. Thus, his bonus on damage rolls with this weapon equals 1-1/2 times his Strength bonus when he wields it in one hand and twice his Strength bonus when he wields it in two hands.

Far Shot (Ex): At 4th level, the hammer of Moradin gains the benefit of the Far Shot feat when throwing his warhammer. This benefit increases the range increment for his thrown hammer to 30 feet.

Quake (Su): By striking his warhammer violently against the ground (a standard action), a 4th-level or higher hammer of Moradin creates a shock wave that violently shakes the earth in front of him. Each creature touching the ground in a 60-foot cone from the point of impact must make a successful Reflex save (DC 10 + hammer of Moradin level + hammer of Moradin’s Str modifier) or be knocked prone.

Drowbasher (Su): When a 5th-level or higher hammer of Moradin uses the goblinkiller ability to imbue his warhammer with the goblinoid bane property, it also gains the drow bane property. This ability does not confer any additional uses per day of the goblinkiller ability and it does not extend the duration of the effect; it merely makes each use more versatile.

Power Strike (Su): At 5th level, the hammer of Moradin can strike his foe so hard that his blow leaves the opponent dazed. To use this ability, the hammer of Moradin makes a normal attack roll. (The player must declare that he is using this power before making the attack roll; thus, a miss ruins the attempt.) The attack deals normal damage if successful. In addition, any foe damaged by this attack must make a successful Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + hammer of Moradin level + hammer of Moradin’s Str modifier) or be dazed for 1 round. Constructs, oozes, plants, undead, incorporeal creatures, and creatures immune to critical hits cannot be dazed.

Spells: 3+1/1+1 Domains: Craft, Dwarf
1st- Bless, Comprehend Languages, Shield of Faith D: Animate Rope
2nd- Resist Energy D: Bear's Endurance

Appearance
Riliyana is a seasoned warrior, her body muscular and covered with scars of numerous battles. Each tells a tale she knows by heart. Her hair is dark brown and tied into a warrior's knot behind her head. Her eyes speak of a hardness gleaned only from so much killing, yet there's a softness that speaks of the goodness in her heart.

History
Born in the northern regions of Faerun, she was found by a Dwarven scouting party lead by a Cleric of Moradin at the age of 3 after an attack by Giants on her village. She doesn't know anything about the village or her parents, though to her, the Dwarves have always been considered her family. An oddity, she learned the ways of the Dwarves and accepted their practices with great. Riliyana always felt touched by the Dwarven Deity Moradin over those of the Human Pantheon and she has taken this belief to a level unheard of by any but devout Dwarves. His teachings are her teachings.

Riliyana grew up fighting alongside the Dwarves against their enemies, the Goblinoids, Drow, and Giants and hates them just as much as if she was a Dwarf. By those in her clan, she is no longer Human, though the lack of beard on her is mentioned in jest. She is a Dwarf to them and in her mind she is as much a Dwarf as any real Dwarf. To hear otherwise would surprise her, though a part of her knows deep down that those words are the truth, but only in physical appearance.

She gained became a well-seasoned warrior in the Dwarven Ranks and when offered membership into the privaleged Hammers of Moradin, she could not deny them. Feeling honored, she accepted and now fights for their cause.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Jdvn1 said:
Hey, cool. And where is that from?

Very nice stuff, this. :)

Hrm, can't remember offhand. Deviantart, though unfortunately, I can't recall which artist. I have the picture saved somewhere on my computer, but I collect pictures, so finding it is annoying. Will certainly look when I remember and have the time.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Krempek

Okay, I started on this creature like a week ago and my idea was to create a creature which hides underground and attacks creatures with it's claws. Yeah, I know this probably sounds familiar [a certain creature from StarCraft, maybe], but that was kinda where I had the idea. Also, I'm working on an Underdark campaign which could use some more specifically underground threats. :)

This creature also has a lot of Xorn traits. Some people don't seem to realize that creating a new creature can be super easy. Change a couple of traits, add/subtract one or two, and bam! new creature. Since no one recognizes it, no one can say what it is or attempt to metagame on purpose or not.

Krempek
Size/Type: Large Outsider (Extraplanar, Earth)
Hit Dice:
15d8+63 (130 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), burrow 20 ft.
Armor Class: 25 (-1 size, +16 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 25
Base Attack/Grapple: +15/+26
Attack: Bite +21 melee (4d8+7)
Full Attack: Bite +21 melee (4d8+7) and 3 claws +19 melee (1d6+3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft. (20 ft with claws)
Special Attacks: Poison, Pounce
Special Qualities: All-around vision, earth glide, damage reduction 5/bludgeoning, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to cold and fire, resistance to electricity 10, tremorsense 60 ft.
Saves: Fort +13, Ref +9, Will +9
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 10, Con 19, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 10
Skills: Hide +14, Intimidate +18, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +18, Listen +18, Move Silently +18, Search +22, Spot +22, Survival+18 (+20 following tracks or underground)
Feats: Awesome Blow, CleaveB, Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Multiattack, Power Attack, Toughness
Environment: Elemental Plane of Earth
Organization: Solitary, pair, or party (6-11)
Challenge Rating: 10
Treasure: None
Alignment: Usually neutral
Advancement: 16-21 HD (Large); 22-45 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment:

Krempeks live in the ground, their bodies flowing seemlessly through the earth as a fish through water. On their own, they tend to think simply, prefering plain lives in which they frequently sleep and essentially wait for prey to walk along a tunnel within their tremorsense range. When they sense prey, they send out their tentacles and attempt to slow the creature. Only when their prey is slowed and, preferably, unconscious, does the main part of the Krempek surface and use it's bite. Lastly, if the Krempek's arms are all severed, the main body will attack relentlessly until death the person who dealt the last attack against the final arm.

More and more Krempek, however, are being taken in by groups to be used as defenses. While Krempek's frequently tend to be lazy, the one thing which spurs them into action is the promise of a frequent meal, especially of variety. For the promise of this, they can be convinced to guard an area. They are excellent sentries with their abilities, especially their ability to poison enemies and slow them.

All-Around Vision (Ex): A Krempek’s symmetrically placed eyes allow it to look in any direction, providing a +4 racial bonus on Spot and Search checks. A Krempek can’t be flanked.

Arms (Ex): The arms of the Krempek, while a part of the creature, are also separated. Essentially, each arm has 30 hit points and DR 10/slashing instead of bludgeoning.

Earth Glide (Ex): A Krempek can glide through stone, dirt, or almost any other sort of earth except metal as easily as a fish swims through water. Its burrowing leaves behind no tunnel or hole, nor does it create any ripple or other signs of its presence. A move earth spell cast on an area containing a burrowing Krempek flings the Krempek back 30 feet, stunning the creature for 1 round unless it succeeds on a DC 15 Fortitude save.

Poison (Ex): When a Krempek damages someone with it's claw attacks, it also deals poison damage. This poison makes the muscles tougher and more difficult to move. This poison causes the person to be treated as slowed. Creatures immune to poison are not affected by this, but creatures normally immune to slow effects are.

Pounce (Ex): Because the arms are both a part of the Krempek and separated, any time the Krempek moves and attacks, it may also attack with each of its claws. Unlike normal, this does not have to be done after a charge.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases