Dog Moon's Creatures [Updated 10-05-13]

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Well, haven't posted anything for a while, but I just wanted to let you guys know that I posted some playtest notes on the Advanced Paper Golem in post 22 in this thread. Also suggested 2 additional abilities it could potentially have.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Dis'Troewe

Okay, I've had this creature somewhere around 7/8th done for a long time, so I don't really remember where I came up with this idea, but I like annoying little abilities like the Aura this guy has on him. I glanced over everything, but because there's a several month gap between the original work and my updates, it's possible something isn't quite right with the stats or something.

Anyway. The Feelings Never Die was just an added little bit of interest I had whilst updating it. The creature just sounded like it should be one of those which are difficult to kill not so much by a blunt object, but like the sort of horrors in horror films where you think you've killed the evil, but later find out that it took control of an ally or some little part of it survived and has come back to ruin your life.

While this creature I think was originally intended to be a somewhat buff leader, I think whenever I picture this scene, it's always more of a horror-ish feel to it, like a dark area with barely seen skeleton moving in almost near silence except for the slight rattling of the bones, their eyes glinting with a strange pang of dark emotion, their mouths opened in a silent scream as they surge forward towards you. In the midst of this foul group shambles forward the leader, a larger skeleton with shards of bone jutting outwards, its eyes two beams of red within the darkness. As the heroes are fighting the horde, one of their allies lets out a blood-curtling scream as the larger skeleton points a long, narrow finger at him. Shivers run down the backs of the others and the ally, knowing something bad is about to happen but unable to control himself turns, his eyes wide in horror with a strange mixture of hidden desire/distruct, and swings his blade.

Aaaaand, I could probably go on, but I won't. I think you get the idea. I think I've painted an interesting creature and representation, but the problem is that in dnd, the skeletons are something to be easily hacked through and the boss just another big creature.

Dis'Troewe
Size/Type: Large Undead (Extraplanar)
Hit Dice:
12d12+36 (147 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 30 ft
Armor Class: 24 (-1 size, +15 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 24
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+19
Attack: Claw +14 melee (1d8+9/19-20)
Full Attack: 2 claws +14 melee (1d8+9/19-20)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Aura of Anger, Traitorous Feelings, Vicious Aura
Special Qualities: Bony Body, Darkvision 60 ft, DR 5/bludgeoning, undead traits, Unholy Toughness
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +11
Abilities: Str 28, Dex 10, Con -, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 17
Skills: Climb +15, Concentration +18, Diplomacy +18, Jump +15, Listen +18, Move Silently +15, Search +10, Sense Motive +16, Spot +18
Feats: Extend Rage, Combat Expertise, Improved Critical, Leadership
Environment: Any
Organization: See Below
Challenge Rating: 11
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral evil
Advancement: 13-24 HD (Large); 25-36 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment:

A large, gangly undead made of bones, these Dis'Troewes rise above the minions surrounding them. While at a distance these thin creatures seem like they should move fast, the truth is that their bones have hardened and many have lengthened or have grown in odd directions, frequently making movement difficult for them; thus, their low maneuverability.

Dis'Troewe have learned that while having numerous weaker minions is certainly useful, they cannot always protect against the stronger opponents. This is why they have learned to make deals with those who study the Undead arts or those who worship them. These people are most frequently hidden within the ranks of the weaker minions to add another element of surprise to their combat. They tend to prefer Evil Clerics who can bolster their Undead Minions.

COMBAT
Aura of Anger (Su):
All creatures within 30 feet of the Dis'Troewemust make a Will save DC 19 or become Enraged, treated as the Rage ability. Creatures who are already affected by the Vicious Aura make the save at a -2 penalty to this save. This can be activated one time per day and lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + the Dis'Troewe's Cha modifier. All feats which affect Rage affect this ability of all effected.

Bony Body (Ex): Due to their oddly shaped bodies because of how their bones have 'grown', it is difficult to strike Dis'Troewe without weapons. Any creature striking a Dis'Troewe with a natural weapon takes 1d6 points of piercing damage.

Feelings Never Die (Su): Anger, rage and distrust live within all living creatures. When a Dis'Troewe is killed, it may make a Will save DC equal to 10 + the damage dealt to mentally launch a small piece of it's bony body with said feelings into a living creature within 60 feet. The Dis'Troewe makes an attack roll with a bonus of +1 for every 5 that it beat the DC of the save. If the attack succeeds, the target takes 1 point of damage and now has a piece of Dis'Troewe within it's body. Although nothing shows immediately, the power of the bone is hard at work. Each week, the target must make a DC 19 Will save or succumb to the following effects:
1st failure: Gain the Ability to enter a Rage.
2nd failure: Gain Bleeding Weapon
3rd failure: Gain Improved Critical
4th failure: Turn on allies
The following roll is made only if the target has successfully killed it's allies or eluded them if the attempt failed.
5th failure: The bones step out of the targets's body, instantly killing it, and creating an entirely new Dis'Troewe.
Three successive saves moves the process down one step.

Traitorous Feelings (Sp): As a standard action, the Dis'Troewe can target a creature within 60 feet to become turned around mentally. Those who they thought were friends are treated as enemies and vice versa. Those who are affected by an Aura receive a -2 penalty on this save. Those are are inflicted with both Auras take a -5 penalty on this save.

Unholy Toughness

Vicious Aura (Su): All creatures within 30 feet of the Dis'Troewe must make a Will save DC 19 or become more dangerous, hitting opponents where it counts. Those affected gain the benefits of the Improved Critical feat with any weapon they wield. Also, the wounds caused by their attacks continue to bleed for one damage per round until stopped by natural healing or magical healing. While this is a mind-affecting ability, Undead are still affected by this Aura and those within 30 feet of the Dis'Troewe are considered to always be affected by this Aura.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Pyre Creature

Well, it might be a little rough, but that's what you get for waiting months between drafts. Perhaps in a few months I'll go through it all again and fix what I believe might need fixing. Anyway, the CR/LA on this creature is probably not accurate, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how it might be different. No stat bonuses, but enough other bonuses that +2 should be right, though depending on the creature, it might actually be closer to +1. But I think we all have problems with CR/LA anyway, right? :)

So I don't remember what exactly inspired this, but I do remember that part of my idea was to create a slightly more interesting fire elemental version that simply 'This is a creature of fire'. Elemental creatures and Half-Elemental creatures have always rubbed me the wrong way. Elemental creatures, iirc, become OUTSIDERS, and Half-Elementals don't really have many elemental traits, mainly Spell-Likes. Those have ALWAYS rubbed me the wrong way. So hopefully, this is a more interesting version of a fire elemental template than the previous two.

I don't currently have a sample creature, but I would like to put this into a campaign of mine at some point in time and when I do, I will creature a creature to use as a sample creature. Or, by popular demand, if my numerous [three] fans desire it. :)

"Burn the Witch!"

"Kill the Heretic!"

Scapegoats are some of the saddest of souls due to the fact that these people take the blame for something which frequently isn't their fault. When something bad happens nearby, the strangest and most odd-looking people are blamed. Those who are the first to point believe that everything will be solved with the Witch's death because if she's the one causing it, then her death will prevent her from continuing her strange acts. They believe that fire will purify the Witch and burn the Evil within her and free their town of her vile acts.

Sometimes, it is quite true that the Witch is the cause of these acts. Some Witches have power and when on the stake being burned for their crimes, they curse the burners, demanding that the evil God the Witch worships will bring punishment upon the burners. Most frequently, the God is happy enough to take the Witch into his hands, but on occasion, when the God believes that the Witch will serve his cause better through death, he will grant her wish and bring her back as a Pyre Creature.

Not all deserve this death, however. Many truly are scapegoats and are completely innocent. Many die with tears of sadness and betrayal in their eyes. On occasion, these Witches may not accept their deaths as something they can singlehandedly prevent and cry out with great emotion. Fear and desperation fills them and these two emotions, while they do not stop her death, do not cause her to continue to the next world. These sorry souls awaken from the midst of the pyre and look around in horror as they realize what had occurred to them. These souls flee from the site of their death and wander the earth, never finding happiness and only finding relief in their death. Most are tracked down and killed because they are feared even more in death than they were in life.

Others become angry at this betrayal. Their possibly innocent souls cry out in rage and as the fires burn their skin, hate races through their blade. The yell at their burners, curse them, scream not in pain and agony but in vengeance. These souls become corrupted and refuse to die until their burners are killed for their treacherous crimes. These Pyre Creatures lash out in the instant of their death, killing any nearby and searching all those who will likely run from the sudden fear which grips their hearts.

Heretics are a slightly different case because they are burned for a good reason. They teach out against the natural order, teach in falseties and lies. These come back in order to destroy the good and the faithful.

"Pyre Creature" is an inherited template which can be added to any living being which is burned at the stake or anywhere else for similar reasons.

Size and Type: Pyre Creatures become Undead. Do not recalculate base attack bonus, saves, or anything.

Hit Dice: All Hit Dice become d12s.

Armor Class: Pyre Creatures gain a +3 natural armor bonus.

Special Attack:
Flaming (Su): While flames flicker all across their body, it seems that the greater part of their flames circle their hands as if the person desired so badly to strike out at their enemies and the fire has answered to their wishes and is focused on the natural weapons the person had available. All natural attacks are flaming and deal 1d6 additional fire damage with each hit.

Flame Wave (Su): The Pyre Creature can point one of their arms and launch the fire forth at a creature within 30 feet. This is a ranged touch attack which deals 4d6 damage and causes the target to make a Reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 HD + Cha modifier) or start on fire. The Pyre creature must spend a move action to reignite the flames upon their hand.

Fiery Explosion (Su): Upon the Pyre Creature's destruction, all the hate and anger or despair mixed within the fire explode outward within a 30 foot radius, dealing 1d6 damage per HD of the creature. Half of this damage is unholy, the other half fire. Reflex (DC 10 + 1/2 HD + Cha modifier) for half.

Special Qualities:
Component Subsitution: Pyre Creatures do not need to worry about material components which cost under 50gp. The fire replaces all. Clerics need no holy symbol beyond the fires.

Increase the caster level of all [Evil] and [Fire] spells by +1.

Undead Traits
DR 5/bludgeoning
Immune to fire
Immune to cold

Abilities: As Undead creatures, Pyre Creatures have no Constitution score.

CR: +2.

LA: Pyre creatures are not fitting to play as Player Characters, thus they have no LA Adjustment.

Variants
Speakers of the Truth

Some of those who are viewed as Heretics are actually the speakers of the truth. These Speakers are killed in order to silence them, to stop the lies which hold the congregation/clergy in line from becoming known and wide-spread. These Speakers come back in similar form, but instead of being twisted by the evil which normal Pyre Creatures fall under, these Speakers are instead purified. Their bones are bleach a brilliant white, the dirt and grime fall from their bodies.

These are treated as Pyre Creatures except for the following:
Any instances of Unholy within the Pyre Creature becomes Holy. Instead of casting [Evil] spells at an increased caster level, they cast [Good] spells at an increased caster level.

Aura of Truth (Su): Those within a 30 foot radius around the Speaker cannot utter a single lie and in fact are incapable of attempting to bend the truth. Creatures within the area may make a Will save DC 10 + 1/2 HD + Wis modifier to avoid being affected by the Aura.

Abilities: Wis +2.

LA Adjustment: +2. Speakers of the Truth CAN be played as Player Characters.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Suintar

I wanted something to do with ooze which was a little more interesting just 'person with oozy features'. I wanted some history, some fluff, if you will. This is what I came up with. Oozy, but not the same as 'just ooze'.

Suinter
Size/Type:
Medium Ooze
Hit Dice: 6d10+18 (65 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), climb 20 ft
Armor Class: 11 (+1 Dex), touch 11, flat-footed 10
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+6
Attack: Slam +8 melee (2d4+4 plus 2d4 acid)
Full Attack: Slam +8 melee (2d4+4 plus 2d4 acid)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Acid, constrict 2d6+4 plus 2d6 acid, improved grab
Special Qualities: Blindsight 60 ft, DR 10/magic, ooze traits
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +2
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 1 [or 12 in humanoid form], Con 16, Int 15, Wis 10, Cha 15
Skills: Climb +11
Feats:
Environment: Underground
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 7
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral, usually chaotic
Advancement: -
Level Adjustment:

Ooze people tend to live among the people of any city, remaining hidden due to their ability to change shape into any humanoid they desire. Some prefer to be females because any seed from a normal humanoid dies once within an Ooze Person so they will never have to worry about giving birth. Others desire children and they became males, strangely capable of impregnating female humanoids. As odd as it sounds, this is the way they continue their species. In fact, this has been going on for so long that people aren't sure whether the Ooze People were once oozes who became humanoid or humanoids who became oozy in nature.

They are virtually never found in their normal ooze form by other people because of their forced secretive nature. During those rare times where they do turn into their natural forms, it tends to occur after they have turned into someone they dislike and cause a ruckus, putting the blame on someone who isn't the person they are attempting to imitate.

COMBAT
Humanoid Form (Su): Can take the form of any Humanoid. They do not, however, retain their acid damage to natural attacks in this form.

Weapon Form (Su): Ooze people can create a weapon in their hands by hardening the ooze. This weapon is considered as a +1 acidic burst weapon.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Ooze Born

And a template:

Ooze People-Born
What normally happens to a woman pregnant with an ooze person's baby is the following: Inside the womb there is the creation of a baby, but the truth of the matter is that the baby is not truly living and that the liquids within the woman's stomach is what grows. The baby, within nine months, is born, but it is always dead. The liquid which exits the woman's body during this time is the ooze born and it naturally attempts to leave as serruptitiously as possible, heading towards the male ooze person which fathered due to their mental connection.

Sometimes, however, the father perishes during this time, severing the connection between the ooze born and the father. When this happens, the ooze born slowly enters the body of the baby and strengthens the baby as it feels a connection to it and it alone. Unfortunately, the mother frequently dies, unless she is exceptionally strong or capable of receiving healing frequently, as the acid from the ooze born eats away at the mother's womb, allowing the baby, at the time it would normally exit the mother's body, to burn a hole directly through the mother's flesh. [Essentially, the mother receives, through the last month of pregnancy, 1d6 acid damage per hour. This has the effect of not allowing her to get a full night's rest unless she is able to become resistant to it for long periods of time, as well as possibly killing her].

The baby emerges healthy and despite the possible death of it's mother, is not evil in any way. The ooze covers they baby's limbs, becoming one with the flesh of the extemeties. The ooze born within the baby's body is what truly becomes the oozeborn as the normal process produces a full, wholy healthy Suintar. While the Suintar are their own race, the oozeborn take on the traits of the mother's race as well as an affinity, though not a complete version, with the ooze the Suintar are born from.

"Ooze born" is a template which can be added to any humanoid.

Size and Type: Size does not change. Type does not change, but because it has a slightly oozy nature, it gains the [Augmented] and [Ooze] subtypes.

Speed: The ooze strengthens the muscles, causing them to work more efficiently. The ooze born can move at a fast rate: +10 to movement.

Special Attacks
Acidic Ooze: The ooze touching the ooze born's extremities is highly acidic, causing 1d6 points of acid damage with a successful touch attack. Alternatively, the ooze born can spend a full round action to cover the weapon he is wielding with acid, allowing it to deal 1d6 acid damage. This lasts for a number of rounds equal to his HD. At 10th level, the weapon can be treated as an acidic burst weapon, but it only lasts half as long. This can also be turned off as a full-round action. This allows the ooze born to act normally without damaging everything he touches for one minute per level.

Special Qualities:
Acidic Attunement: All [Acid] spells cast by a ooze born are cast at a +1 caster level.

Abilities: The ooze flows through the blood of the oozeborn, touching their muscles and strengtheningtheir skin, granting them +2 to Str, Dex, and Con.

CR: +1

LA: +1

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Frukathka said:
Love your Speakers of the Truth. I'm totally using it as part of the next NPC I assemble. :cool:

Sweet, let me know how it goes. And if you have a neat idea of what you're gonna put the template on, please either post it [if you have the stats] or let me know so I can create one [if you just have an idea, but don't want to create the stats].

I have a couple more creatures partway done which hopefully I'll post when I'm done [and which I will hopefully be able to get to in the next couple of days]. Another is almost done, but just doesn't quite feel right to me. [It's a template]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases