Dog Moon's Creatures [Updated 10-05-13]

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Dog Moon said:
Also, I'm working on an Underdark campaign which could use some more specifically underground threats. :)
How convenient! I'm hoping to start running a couple famous underground games myself (specifically, in a mountain, though).
Dog Moon said:
This creature also has a lot of Xorn traits. Some people don't seem to realize that creating a new creature can be super easy. Change a couple of traits, add/subtract one or two, and bam! new creature. Since no one recognizes it...
Dog Moon said:
All-Around Vision (Ex): A xorn’s symmetrically placed eyes allow it to look in any direction, providing a +4 racial bonus on Spot and Search checks. A xorn can’t be flanked.

Earth Glide (Ex): A xorn can glide through stone, dirt, or almost any other sort of earth except metal as easily as a fish swims through water. Its burrowing leaves behind no tunnel or hole, nor does it create any ripple or other signs of its presence. A move earth spell cast on an area containing a burrowing xorn flings the xorn back 30 feet, stunning the creature for 1 round unless it succeeds on a DC 15 Fortitude save.
:lol: Then again, if you give it away... ;)

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Jdvn1 said:
:lol: Then again, if you give it away... ;)

Well I can give it away to YOU GUYS! I don't game with you. ;)

Although apparently, one of my players came across this thread, browsed through the creatures and hoped I wouldn't use at least half of them. Good to know they inspire fear. Bwahahaha!

Huh, I thought I'd removed the 'Xorn' comments. Whoops!

Jdvn1

Dog Moon said:
Well I can give it away to YOU GUYS! I don't game with you. ;)
I was teasing. I appreciate knowing some about how the creature was created! :)

Though, I need more lower-level creatures for my games. I'll have to wait for the party to level many times before we can get to most of these...

I love the smell of fear in the morning. Smells like... victory.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Jdvn1 said:
Though, I need more lower-level creatures for my games. I'll have to wait for the party to level many times before we can get to most of these...

Okay, I'll try to think of some weaker creatures.

I generally like CRs in about 10-14. Allows me to add a few class levels/templates to creatures with interesting abilities to make evil combinations or [for the 10-11 range] make a character with about half of a PrC, generally enough to make the character interesting [instead of like a single level] without being too high level [maxed out].

Low level creatures tend to not have enough cool abilities and high level just doesn't seem worth the trouble to me, though I've noticed some people who seem to LOVE making Epic monsters.

Edit: What level is your group? While my lower level ones tend to be simpler, I could certainly try to think of a couple for ya. :)

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Goblins, Part 4: Traits

All Goblins no matter the Caste share some traits. At the same time, each Caste has traits specific to their own Caste.

General Traits
Size and Type: Goblins are Small creatures of the Plant type. Special: Goblins will always have the Plant type no matter what template is added onto them. Instead, they gain that new type as a Subtype and are considered as that type for effects which affect that type as well as the Goblin's original type. For example, a Half-Demon Goblin stays as a Plant, but gains the [Outsider] subtype and can be affected by spells and abilities which target Outsiders as if they were Outsiders as well as Plants].
Special Qualities:
Plant Traits
Transmutation Protection (Su):
This is a unique ability because it can be beneficial or detrimental depending on the transmutation effect being used upon the Goblin. Any transmutation effect used upon a Goblin has the duration halved because their bodies are already constantly in motion inside because of their short lifespans.
Abilities: -2 Str, +2 Dex
Feats: Each Caste member gains a bonus feat depending on which caste the Goblin is from. This shows the passing down of the knowledge of a previous Goblin to the newly born Goblin. The Warrior Caste always passes down a combat feat in preparation for their short and generally frequently violent lives. The Worker Caste gains a feat to better help with their job. The Magician Caste Goblin gains a feat to show that they have been given at least basic information about various subjects of import. These feats are always predetermined and listed below.

Warrior Caste
Special Qualities: For determining base Intelligence for combat feats [such as Combat Expertise], they are treated as having an Intelligence 4 points higher than what theirs is.
Abilities: +2 Dex, +2 Con, -2 Int, -2 Cha. Note this replaces the -2 Str, +2 Dex that Goblins normally have. While Warrior Caste Goblins are stronger than their other kin, they are still not particularly great in comparison to other races. They are able to take better hits. They tend to be rough around the edges personality-wise because of their short lives. The focus on combat with the exclusion of everything else. This also hurts their general intelligence, though they tend to still be knowledge about war.
Feats: The Goblins of the Warrior Caste gain one Fighter Bonus Feat that they meet the requirements for as a bonus feat.

Worker Caste
Abilities: -2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Con. Note this replaces the -2 Str, +2 Dex that Goblins normally have. Worker Caste Goblins tend to not as strong as Warrior Caste Goblins, even if they are doing forced labor. They tend to let their skill more than compensate for the lack of Strength.
Feats: The Goblins of the Worker Caste gain Skill Focus (Any Craft or Profession) feat as a bonus feat.

Magician Caste
Abilities: -2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Con, +2 Int or +2 Wis, +2 Cha. Note this replaces the -2 Str, +2 Dex that Goblins normally have. Magician Caste Goblins are the casters in the society and thus have little use for physical strength. They also tend to be the leaders of the Goblins and learn to direct the others. While most focus on intellect, those who pay more attention to Webyrd tend to be more wise as if being granted wisdom directly from their respected Deity.
Feats: The Goblins of the Magician Caste gain Education as a bonus feat.

Last edited:

Jdvn1

Dog Moon said:
Low level creatures tend to not have enough cool abilities and high level just doesn't seem worth the trouble to me, though I've noticed some people who seem to LOVE making Epic monsters.

Edit: What level is your group? While my lower level ones tend to be simpler, I could certainly try to think of a couple for ya. :)
You don't have to make creatures tailored to my campaign! I'm looking forward to using some of the baddies you've already made in a bunch of levels.

Where's the Education feat from?

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Jdvn1 said:
You don't have to make creatures tailored to my campaign! I'm looking forward to using some of the baddies you've already made in a bunch of levels.

True, but I suppose I could use some practice making some lower level creatures too and I would like to actually make some creatures which will see some use by others if not by me. Just let me know what level your campaign is so I can figure out if and how many I'll do. :)

Jdvn1 said:
Where's the Education feat from?

Hrm. Honestly, I don't remember where it's from anymore. I know it makes all Knowledges class skills and gives +2 bonus to 2 of them. Maybe a FR book?

What do you think of my Goblins? It's part of my attempt to make some of the standard races different.

Jdvn1

Dog Moon said:
True, but I suppose I could use some practice making some lower level creatures too and I would like to actually make some creatures which will see some use by others if not by me. Just let me know what level your campaign is so I can figure out if and how many I'll do. :)
Well, I'm currently planning to start off at level 1, but am afraid that the players are so inexperienced that they'd die multiple times in any 1st level module. :heh: :uhoh: ;)

I imagine lower-level creatures with cool abilities would be a good challenge for coming up with low-level ability ideas. They have to look/feel/act scary enough to try to be a cinematic encounter (though, maybe the environment will do that for them) while posing not enough of a threat of a TPK. (pfft, good luck with that one)
Dog Moon said:
Hrm. Honestly, I don't remember where it's from anymore. I know it makes all Knowledges class skills and gives +2 bonus to 2 of them. Maybe a FR book?
I guess it sounds FR-y enough. I'll look through my 2-3 FR books to see if I can find it; regardless, swapping it out for another thematically-similar feat isn't a big deal (and also probably not necessary, but I'll look around and see what the options are).
Dog Moon said:
What do you think of my Goblins? It's part of my attempt to make some of the standard races different.
I like them a lot, actually! I don't like subraces very much, so castes are a good compromise, I think.

I'm not sure if it raises CR, but if it does it probably goes from like 1/3 to 1/2 (OMGROFLBBQTLCABCDEFG POWER CREEP GOBLYNS BEST RASE EVAR!). :lol:

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Jdvn1 said:
Well, I'm currently planning to start off at level 1, but am afraid that the players are so inexperienced that they'd die multiple times in any 1st level module. :heh: :uhoh: ;)

I imagine lower-level creatures with cool abilities would be a good challenge for coming up with low-level ability ideas. They have to look/feel/act scary enough to try to be a cinematic encounter (though, maybe the environment will do that for them) while posing not enough of a threat of a TPK. (pfft, good luck with that one)

Hehe. Hrm, wonder if the creature in my mind is good for a low level encounter or if it would be too buff. Might not be under like CR 3 though... [You might have to wait closer to 2 more levels before you can use my stuff. Was thinking your campaign was like levels 3-4, not 1]

Jdvn1 said:
I guess it sounds FR-y enough. I'll look through my 2-3 FR books to see if I can find it; regardless, swapping it out for another thematically-similar feat isn't a big deal (and also probably not necessary, but I'll look around and see what the options are).

Found it: Player's Guide to Faerun. Actually the first book I looked at. :)

Jdvn1 said:
I like them a lot, actually! I don't like subraces very much, so castes are a good compromise, I think.

I actually don't mind the idea of subraces; I just think that our current system has taken it a little too far. Also didn't really think subraces was as fitting for this. Had been trying to find a good idea of how to separate the Goblins and then I was watching Babylon 5 and decided to copy the general social structure of one of the races there. :)

Any other ideas on what I should do for the Goblins? I've never really made a race from scratch before, so I don't know what type of things people actually want...

Jdvn1

Dog Moon said:
Hehe. Hrm, wonder if the creature in my mind is good for a low level encounter or if it would be too buff. Might not be under like CR 3 though... [You might have to wait closer to 2 more levels before you can use my stuff. Was thinking your campaign was like levels 3-4, not 1]
That's what I was expecting. I'm considering on starting a little higher level to prevent death, so a CR 3-4 creature might get used sooner than I'm expecting.

Though, whenever I find new players like this, they don't always last. I may be too optimistic in the first place. ;)
Dog Moon said:
Found it: Player's Guide to Faerun. Actually the first book I looked at. :)
Ah-hah! That's one of my three FR books!
Dog Moon said:
I actually don't mind the idea of subraces; I just think that our current system has taken it a little too far. Also didn't really think subraces was as fitting for this. Had been trying to find a good idea of how to separate the Goblins and then I was watching Babylon 5 and decided to copy the general social structure of one of the races there. :)
Well, what I don't like about subraces are that there are too many. A few can be flavorful, but I don't need a billion types of elves. I can use the caste idea and use it for other things, though. Fighter-type characters might get the Warrior Caste adjustment, or maybe dungeon monsters might be differentiated in this way as well.
Dog Moon said:
Any other ideas on what I should do for the Goblins? I've never really made a race from scratch before, so I don't know what type of things people actually want...
Hm. Maybe make a Goblin leader, and describe how he rules over his weaker counterparts? Or, maybe, there's a leader of each caste, and how the castes bicker amongst each other for power. I think you've covered all of the basics. I might change to a 1st level module that features goblin castes...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases