Dog Moon's Creatures [Updated 10-05-13]

Dog Moon

Adventurer
HolyGrenadeFrenzy said:
Nicely done and expediently too.

Well, you guys got lucky on that. Was brain dead, but then I couldn't sleep. As I was lying in bed, the idea came to me so I figured I should write it down before I forgot. :)

Dog Moon said:
Well, you guys got lucky on that. Was brain dead, but then I couldn't sleep. As I was lying in bed, the idea came to me so I figured I should write it down before I forgot. :)
I hear ya, here, Dog Moon, happened to me last night and like three other nights this week. My Insomnia is making an appearance again, obviously. Earlier int the week I stayed up being unable to sleep so I wrote some new Epic Spell designs and even more ideas for them and other gaming material. Beeen a long week for such things. Some other games are going to be "Borrowed" from too, but most of it is original.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Possessed Ioun Stone

Not really sure where this came from, admittedly. Was talking about Vampires in another thread and thinking that it would be cool to have variants of Vampires, and not differences because of Houses such as in WoD, but you know what? I didn't really feel all that inspired on the subject. While thinking of twisting things around, Ioun Stones came to me, and voila, my new creation: the Possessed Ioun Stone

Fine Construct [Undead]
Hit Dice:
4d10 (32 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: Fly 40 ft. (perfect)
Armor Class: 23 (+8 size, +4 Dex, +1 dodge), touch 23, flat-footed 19
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/-19
Attack: Touch +14 melee (1 + 1d6 negative energy)
Full Attack: Touch +14 melee (1 + 1d6 negative energy)
Space/Reach: 0 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Retained Spells
Special Qualities: Construct Traits, Encircle, DR 5/adamantine, Undead Traits
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +5, Will +1
Abilities: Str 1, Dex 18, Con -, Int 1, Wis 10, Cha 18
Skills: Hide +22, Move Silently +6, Perform (pretty patterns) +11
Feats: Dodge, Stealthy, Weapon FinesseB
Challenge Rating: 3 (+1-2 depending on spells)
Alignment: Always evil

Possessed Stones are horrible creations that infuses a soul with the remains of an ioun stone - a dark gray one. The process is said to be known by only one man, but that cannot be the case as others have been seen with this nasty creations. It is thought, however, that the process involves the used ioun stone, a good soul and some sort of evil torment. Some believe that additional requirements must be made, but the specifics of these vary greatly from the blood of a Demon or Angel Lord to the leg of a frog. Obviously, some ideas or more realistic than others.

These creatures are almost animalistic in their actions, retaining very little of the intelligence of the soul who is trapped within. The actions of a Possessed Stone are controlled by the master whose head it encircles. However, even if the master is knocked unconscious, the Possessed Stones attacks anyone within range until the link between it and the master is gone [essentially, the master dies].

It is possible for a Possessed Stone to have other Ioun Stones surrounding it, but rarely is seen because it just looks tacky.

Encircle (Su): A Possessed Stone cannot go beyond the range limit of 40 feet of the one whose head it encircles. Fortunately for it, it doesn't have the intelligence to be able to make the attempt.

Construct/Undead Traits: This is special. This is a case where the physical casing of the Possessed Stone is a constructed body and thus follows the rules of being a construct. However, the soul inside is considered as an Undead and because of that, effects which target an Undead without touching the physical body have normal effect. Essentially, if a spell is treated as having a Fortitude or Reflex save, it targets the body. If it has a Will save, it targets the Undead portion. Thus a Cure Light Wounds, because it has a Will save, affects the stone.

Retained Spells (Su): Possessed Stones, while thought to be completely inert, regain their power through the stone. The spells which it absorbed become accessible. Because Possessed Stones use the soul to power the spell through the memory of the stone, the spells are temporarily used up, but are never permanently drain until the Possessed Stone dies. It can use each spell one time per day. Note: This is a special ability in which that it is never the same for two different stones. Occasionally, the master chooses the spells because he wears creates the original Ioun Stone, wears it, and then absorbs which spells he desires for it to use, but most of the time, the stone has random spells within it. Use ioun stone guidelines on the maximum spell level and the number of total spell levels it can contain. These spells are as the spell normally at the minimum caster level for the spell using Charisma as the casting ability except for one thing: the range becomes touch. The Possessed Stone must strike the target, dealing damage as normal, to use the spell, and the spell is only triggered off a hit and thus is not lost if the stone misses.

Skills: Possesed Stones gain a +16 bonus on Hide checks due to size.

Special: Possessed Stones can be chosen by an Evil Arcane Caster as a Familiar with the Improved Familiar Feat. However, due to the special link between the caster and the Possessed Stone which undercuts the link between the soul and the Possessed Stone, the spells can be used but a single time before they fade away.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
I made a small entry in the Maniac section. I added a few notes based off my experience playing them. I hope to use most of my creations in my next campaign or two and when I do, I will make corrections/adjustments I notice through my playtesting. When I do such a thing, I will make a new post noting that I have done so in case anyone desires to read it.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Dog Moon said:
I made a small entry in the Maniac section. I added a few notes based off my experience playing them. I hope to use most of my creations in my next campaign or two and when I do, I will make corrections/adjustments I notice through my playtesting. When I do such a thing, I will make a new post noting that I have done so in case anyone desires to read it.
Woo!

:D

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Jdvn1 said:

I'm looking forward to playtesting these, let me tell you. Some of these I've been itching to use for like YEARS, but my campaigns have never been quite high enough level to do so.

Playtesting, I feel, is important because it gives a different perspective of the creature's abilities. I'm glad you're excited about it.

:)

Dog Moon

Adventurer
So I posted one of my creature's in the Plots, Places, and Rogues forum cause I was curious to see if it would get more views and responses. Seems like a more active forum. Wonder if anything will come of it.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
HolyGrenadeFrenzy said:
Well I will check them out. Although I still really like this thread too.

Same here, though as much as I love you guys, I would still like a slightly larger audience than 3. :)

Annoying thing is atm is that I have like literally 10 docs on my desktop of half-done creatures/templates. If I could ever get around to working on them, it would certainly make up for my previous lack of posting...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases