Dog Moon's Creatures [Updated 10-05-13]

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Jdvn1 said:
Been busy Dog Moon?

Yeah, sorry about that. Had lots of free time before, but getting a new job and starting DMing kinda took away most of that free time. However, that group didn't pan out [you know it's a bad thing when discussing scheduling and half the group says weekends are better for them and the other half says that weekdays are better for them].

I'll try to get working on creatures again, even if I'm unable to actually catch up.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
If you're busy, you're busy. I just like seeing these new things every once in a while. ;)

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Okay, an update. I've been trying to figure out something cool for this creature, but honestly, despite the fact that I think a Six-headed Gelatinous Chimera is just both cool and wrong, I couldn't think of any cool ecology or fluff to go with the beatstick. I finally decided to post him anyway, though I will accept suggestions on ways to make it a little more interesting. :)

Oh, and normally a Chimera becomes Huge at 14 HD, but since the HD increase was gained because of the Multiheaded Template in Savage Species, I decided to go against the size increase [not really sure it's needed either. ;)]

Gelatinous Multiheaded Chimera
Large Aberration
Hit Dice:
15d10 + 90 (250 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 20 ft
Armor Class: 18 (-1 size, -1 Dex, +10 natural), touch 8, flat-footed 18

Base Attack/Grapple: +15/+24
Attack: Bite +19 melee (2d6+5/19-20 +1d6 acid)
Full Attack: 2 Bites +19 melee (2d6+5/19-20 +1d6 acid), 2 Bites +19 melee (1d8+5/19-20 +1d6 acid), 2 Gores +19 melee (1d8+5 +1d6 acid), 2 Claws +17 melee (1d6+2 +1d6 acid)
Space/Reach: 10 ft. / 5 ft.
Special Attacks: Breath Weapon
Special Qualities: Blindsight 60 ft, Darkvision 90ft, Immune to polymorphing and stunning, Low-light vision, Scent

Alignment: Usually chaotic evil
Saves: Fort +14, Ref +4, Will +4
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 9, Con 29, Int 1, Wis 9, Cha 6

Skills: Hide +3, Listen +19, Spot +16

Feats: Ability Focus (Breath Weapon), Alertness, Combat Reflexes (Bonus), Improved Critical (Bite), Improved Initiative (Bonus), Power Attack, Skill Focus (Listen)

Environment: Temperate Hills
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 12
Treasure: Standard
Advancement: 16-27 HD (Huge)

COMBAT
Heads are Black: 1/1d4 rounds: 3d8 from each of the two heads. Reflex DC 28 for half.

Skills: Chimera gets +2 racial bonus on Spot and Listen. Multiheaded gives it an additional +6 on Spot and Listen checks. Gelatinous gives +4 on Hide checks due to its translucentness.

Resilient(Ex): Gelatinous creatures have less defined shapes than the normal creatures they resemble. As as result, it is more difficult to score crippling or killing blows against them. A gelatinous creature:
-Cannot be flanked
-Takes 1d6 less damage from a successful sneak attack.
-Takes one-half the additional damage dealt by a critical hit.

Saving Throw Bonuses(Ex): A gelatinous creature gains a +4 racial bonus on saves agaisnt mind-affecting effects, poison, sleep, and paralysis.

Appearance
Thankfully, these abominations are quite rare. Similar in appearance to normal Chimeras, two aspects separate them from such 'normal' beasts: the gelatinousness of their flesh making their bodies less solid, and the fact that they have not three heads, but six! That's right, these freaks of nature have six heads upon their large bodies, and though the vague noises which can hardly be construed as conversation are quite annoying coming from all six heads, that's fine because with six heads munching on you, you aren't going to care long anyway.

Tactics
These creatures aren't intelligence to have much in the way of intelligence, and their routine is fairly predictable: attack. Still, knowing that doesn't necessarily mean people have the capabilities of dealing with such considering their numerous attacks.

Chimera: Monster Manual
Gelatinous Template: Savage Species
Multiheaded Template: Savage Species

Last edited:

Kafkonia

First Post
I find that sometimes the trick to getting that sort of idea is to block the source creature from your mind:

Seemingly spawned from the depths of a depraved god's dreams, the chittering jelly is a fleshy mass with eight appendages, four of which end in what might generously be called "mouths." It lurches across the ground in a manner similar to the inchworm.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Chimera Spawn of Juiblex

Okay, a much more appropriate version of a creature created by Dog Moon. ;) I think Kafkonia inspired me a little bit, which is why I like comments [and criticism if constructive]. So I will take a moment to say the following: Thanks for everyone who has commented on this thread and those for those will will continue to comment or who will comment but have yet to do so. [Hrm Jelly Spawn, maybe I should make that into a template, though I could just assume that the Fiendish/Gelatinous combo fits well enough].

And now, the Chimeric Spawn of Juiblex, the Demon Lord of jelly and jelly-like objects, such as this one:

Gelatinous Multiheaded Chimera
Large Aberration
Hit Dice:
15d10 + 90 (250 hp)
Speed: 20 ft
Armor Class: 18 (-1 size, -1 Dex, +10 natural), touch 8, flat-footed 18

Base Attack/Grapple: +15/+24
Attack: Bite +19 melee (2d6+5/19-20 +1d6 acid)
Full Attack: 2 Bites +19 melee (2d6+5/19-20 +1d6 acid), 2 Bites +19 melee (1d8+5/19-20 +1d6 acid), 2 Gores +19 melee (1d8+5 +1d6 acid), 2 Claws +17 melee (1d6+2 +1d6 acid)
Space/Reach: 10 ft. / 5 ft.
Special Attacks: Breath Weapon, Smite Good 1/day [+0/+15]
Special Qualities: Blindsight 60 ft, Darkvision 90ft, DR 10/magic, Immune to polymorphing and stunning, Low-light vision, Resistance to Cold/Fire 10, Scent, SR 20

Alignment: Usually chaotic evil
Saves: Fort +14, Ref +4, Will +4
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 9, Con 29, Int 3, Wis 9, Cha 6

Skills: Hide +3, Listen +19, Spot +16

Feats: Ability Focus (Breath Weapon), Alertness, Combat Reflexes (Bonus), Improved Critical (Bite), Improved Initiative (Bonus), Power Attack, Skill Focus (Listen)

Environment: Temperate Hills
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 13
Advancement: 16-27 HD (Huge)

COMBAT
Heads are Black: 1/1d4 rounds: 3d8 from each of the two heads. Reflex DC 28 for half.

Skills: Chimera gets +2 racial bonus on Spot and Listen. Multiheaded gives it an additional +6 on Spot and Listen checks. Gelatinous gives +4 on Hide checks due to its translucentness.

Resilient(Ex): Gelatinous creatures have less defined shapes than the normal creatures they resemble. As as result, it is more difficult to score crippling or killing blows against them. A gelatinous creature:
-Cannot be flanked
-Takes 1d6 less damage from a successful sneak attack.
-Takes one-half the additional damage dealt by a critical hit.

Saving Throw Bonuses(Ex): A gelatinous creature gains a +4 racial bonus on saves agaisnt mind-affecting effects, poison, sleep, and paralysis.

Ecology
Creations of the Demon God Juiblex, these abominations exist solely to protect and serve him. They are considered guard dogs to Juiblex, powerful creatures to protect him, but their low Intelligence prevents them from being truly useful to him. These creations are easy for him to create. It is said that with a simple concoction only Juiblex knows, he coats the Huge Chimeras and waits until they are completely engulfed, for that is when they are the most gelatinous of all. Then, he shapes them to his will, creating these six-head monstrosities, though the gelatinous concoction shrinks the size of the normally Huge Chimera into a Large one.

A little known fact, but frequently speculated upon, is that Juiblex is working on this concoction and the Chimeras to create slightly different versions. A thicker hide would be an excellent for the gelatinous Chimara, but the jelliness of the body seems to prevent such creations thus far.

Variations
A horribly variation, one only recently created, is the 'living' version of the gelatinous Chimera. Now, without knowing what that is specifically referring to, it makes absolutely no sense. However, when you see a 'living' gelatinous Chimera, you'll know EXACTLY what this refers to... well, pray to whichever Gods you must that you never are forced to witness such a horrid spectacle. No, don't just do that. Run, hide, do whatever you must to avoid the wrath of Juiblex, even if that means befriending the mold on you week-old bread.

Regenaration 5

Jelly Shot (Ex): By taking 31 damage, the 'living' Gelatinous Chimera can throw a small portion of itself as a touch attack with a 10' range increment. This portion is treated as a separate entity with it's own - for Intelligence [it is a normal Gray Ooze as found in the Monster Manual]. However, it will never attack a Gelatinous Chimera, who is, of course, immune to the acidic damage of the jelly's attack.

CR: +2.

Chimera: Monster Manual
Fiendish Template: Monster Manual
Gelatinous Template: Savage Species
Multiheaded Template: Savage Species

Dog Moon

Adventurer
The Forgotten

Okay, I got this idea after watching an anime detailing several Japanese Ghost stories. I liked the idea of one of them and thus created the Forgotten. It isn't completely accurate, but I wouldn't expect it to be either. :) I just want you to know that the reason why the Forgotten are all women is because of that show and not because I'm a hormore-driven teenager [I haven't been a teenager for several years. ;)]

I'm not entirely sure about the CRs though. I should probably check over those a little more carefully at some point. Also note that these aren't supposed to be solely combat creatures and you will not get as much enjoyment, IMO, if they're just another random encounter. Putting the Curse into effect could easily create an adventure hook if so desired by having one of the Forgotten falling in love with a Human and the PCs are trying to determine why the man is slowly changing.

The Forgotten
The appearance of the Forgotten is that of an attractive woman, a perfectly sculpted body with silken hair and eyes of brilliance. The hair of the Forgotten tends to be similar to that of the environment they choose to dwell in and though it has never been proven, legends state that the eyes of a Forgotten are of a shade never seen anywhere else in the world.

Despite their forms, the Forgotten choose simple clothes instead of outfits that would enhance their beauty or shape. It is almost as if, to them, they are unaware that mortals may call them beautiful.

Legend
Once upon a time, the world was divided perfectly in half. The Gods inhabited half of this world and the Humans inhabited the other. It was forbidden for either the Gods or the Humans to cross the border into the lands of the other. However, the Humans, curious beings as they were, could not stay within their borders forever and eventually found their way into the lands of the Gods. The Gods, however, could not kill their own creations and as things happened, their contact was a peaceful one.

This peace lasted for only a short time before their encounters horribly changed each other, their near proximity forcing changes within the bodies of those they came in contact with. Though the Humans alone survived in the end without drastic changes, the Gods themselves were horribly weakened. Though they retained their beauty, they lost the power that they had once controlled.

The Forgotten are the remnants of these Gods, broken shells who fear what might happen if they perish and yet they desire to leave this world. They feel anger at what the Humans have done with them, and this vengeance has caused them to drink the souls of the living. Those who absorb enough souls become Forgotten Gods, Forgotten who have become powerful again in their own right, but still far from what they once were.

Encounter
The Forgotten, although they are fair combatants as long as they can remain in the air and launch attacks on those below, do not focus on combat. They tend to let the exaggerated stories about them keep most away, though they are occasionally faced with the brave or the foolish. If absolutely forced into combat, they prefer hit and run strategies. They always know the surrounding area well because they rarely travel in the attempt to avoid coming too close with Humans for fear of falling in love.

Encounters with the Forgotten can frequently be odd and leave the Human wondering if he had dreamed up the Forgotten. This is because while the Forgotten use their appearance to avoid combat if at all possible, they will shy away from being touched. This can almost be considered as teasing without the obviousness of it. They say few words, choosing to not be verbose without outsiders. The less they know about others, the less chance they have of falling in love and bring ruin upon their kind.

Cursed Aura
Those cursed via the Forgotten's aura slowly become horrible versions of their previous selves and whereas the Forgotten are beautiful, the cursed are not. Each time a person is cursed and their save is failed, their skin twists and thickens, granting a +1 bonus to their Natural Armor class. However, their Charisma decreases by 2, though it can never go below 1 because of this curse. After their Charisma reaches half of it's original number, the lifespan of the cursed creature increases to 4 times that of their natural lifespan. When it reaches 1, they cease aging, and their skin stops warping.

Removal of the Curse
Each casting of Remove Curse causes the skin to heal partially, lowering the creature's Natural Armor by 1 and increasing the creature's Charisma by 2.

If the curse was brought on by a Forgotten God, then, when the last Remove Curse is cast on the creature to rid the creature fully of the curse, the creature must make a Fortitude save DC (10 + 1/2 the Forgotten Gods HD + Wis modifier + total number of times cursed) or be forever scarred with the character's natural armor increased by +1 and the creature's Charisma reduced by 2. The Forgotten Gods are much more powerful than their lesser kind and their curses are more difficult to remove without permanent damage.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
The Forgotten, Part 2

Forgotten
Size/Type: Medium Fey
Hit Dice: 3d6+6 (20 hp)
Speed: 30 ft, fly 40' (good)
Armor Class: 17 (+3 Dex, +4 defl), touch 17, flat-footed 14

Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+1
Attack: Manifestation +4 ranged (2d6+2)
Full Attack: Manifestation +4 ranged (2d6+2)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Cursed Aura, Manifesting, Rage 3/day
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/cold iron, unearthly grace

Alignment: Usually chaotic
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +9
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 15, Cha 18

Skills: Bluff +10, Hide +9, Intimidate +10, Knowledge (nature) +8, Kn (religion) +8, Listen +8, Move Silently +9, Spot +8

Feats: Extra Rage, Flyby Attack

Environment: Any
Organization: Alone or group (2-5)
Challenge Rating: 3
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment:

Cursed Aura: The Forgotten are surrounded by a cursed aura that they cannot turn off. In fact, most of them are unaware of this aura. Those who enter the aura, which is 30 feet in diameter, must make a Fortitude save at DC (Cha modifier + 1/2 HD) or be changed physically in some way. However, for every day that someone stays within the aura, they must make another Fortitude save at DC (Cha modifier + 1/2 HD +1 for each day) or be physically changed. The Forgotten are told to never fall in love, and this is the reason why.

Manifesting: All Forgotten are never truly unarmed, whether they appear to be or not. Forgotten are able to create or use something around them to attack with. What they manifest varies from Forgotten to Forgotten. Some wear great robes with flowers and are capable of flinging the flowers at enemies. Others may use flowers from the surrounding fields, and it is even said that some are able to cause the wind itself to cut their enemies. It is important to note that the Forgotten know what they can manifest and that they always make sure the objects are nearby [thus the Forgotten who flings flowers from her robes will never be caught far from her robes, assuming she ever removes them]. The Forgotten can make a single ranged attack per attack, dealing 2d6 + the Forgotten's Wisdom modifier.

Rage: When Forgotten become angry, they become terrifying. Their appearance changes to become more monstrous, and their attacks become deadlier. When raging, the Forgotten gain +4 Con and +4 Wis. Their skin hardens, granting them a +2 bonus to natural armor. Forgotten can do this only a single time per day. Otherwise treat this as the barbarian rage for purposes of length and fatigue.

Forgotten Gods
Size/Type: Medium Fey
Hit Dice: 11d6+33 (79 hp)
Speed: 30 ft, fly 60' (perfect)
Armor Class: 19 (+3 Dex, +6 defl), touch 19, flat-footed 16

Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+5
Attack: Manifestation +8 ranged (6d6+3)
Full Attack: Manifestation +8 ranged (6d6+3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Cursed Aura, Greater Manifesting, Manifesting, Rage [Greater 5/day]
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/cold iron, Unearthly grace

Alignment: Usually chaotic
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +16, Will +16
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 17, Cha 22

Skills: Bluff +20, Hide +17, Intimidate +20, Knowledge (nature) +16, Kn (religion) +16, Listen +17, Move Silently +17, Spot +17

Feats: Extra Rage, Flyby Attack

Environment: Any
Organization: Alone or group (1 Forgotten God and 3-7 Forgotten)
Challenge Rating: 11
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment:

Rage, Greater: When Forgotten Gods Rage, they gain a +6 bonus on both Con and Wis. Their natural armor bonus increases to +3. They can do this 3/day. Otherwise treat this as the barbarian rage for purposes of length and fatigue.

Greater Manifesting: Forgotten Gods are capable of attacking multiple enemies instead of a single opponent. However, it requires more time to gather their objects. As a standard action, the Forgotten Gods are capable of attacking creatures in a twenty foot radius area. This attack deals 6d6 + the Forgotten's Wisdom modifier. Creatures may make a Ref save DC (10 + 1/2 the Forgotten Gods HD + Wis modifier) to only take half damage.

The Forgotten can also, by using a full-round action, gather the objects and circle them around her, creating a damaging shield that deals 6d6 + the Forgotten's Wisdom modifer. This works in a 10 foot radius. There is no save to avoid this damage.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases