Dog Moon's Creatures [Updated 10-05-13]

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Jdvn1 said:
These would be perfect for a halloween game!

Hehe. Wasn't my goal or anything though, I assure you. ;)

Although a part of me wonders if any of these are being used at all. Heck, I haven't even used any of them yet...

[Not that I don't have PLANS for some of them, but they still haven't been used nonetheless]

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Sjal Tuv

Okay, had this sitting around on my computer for a while, so I'm not sure which creature I originally began to modify to get the base of the stats [which is what I do. When I have an idea, I try to find a creature with similar stats and whatnot, and then go from there, changing what I then feel like changing] so I don't remember where I got the 4d6 bit attack from. Still, one of my friends had mentioned a creature that stole souls and used them to its advantage. He never finished the creature and since I like the idea of using souls, I decided I would create my own version, and here it is.

Note: I have not used this creature yet and don't know how well the abilities will work out, but hopefully, I'll insert him into my Ravenloft campaign, either as a pawn or opponent of Strahd. :)

Sjal Tuv
Size/Type:
Large Outsider
Hit Dice: 10d8+90 (154 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 20 ft
Armor Class: 23 (-1 size, +14 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 23

Base Attack/Grapple: +10/+19
Attack: Bite +14 melee (4d4+5/19-20)
Full Attack: Bite +14 melee (4d4+5/19-20) and 2 claws +12 melee (1d8+2)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved grab, Paralyzation Breath, Stomach Stasis, Swallow Whole
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft, Life Stealing

Saves: Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +7
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 10, Con 29, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 18

Skills: Diplomacy +17, Hide +13, Intimidate +17, Kn (Planes or local) +15, Kn (Undead) +15, Listen +15, Move Silently +13, Sense Motive +15, Spot +15, Survival +15

Feats: Cleave, Improved Critical (bite), Multiattack, Power Attack

Environment: A chaotic evil-aligned plane
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 10 [though this can increase due to the number of souls]
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Advancement: 11-15 HD (Large); 16-30 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: -

"Moans and screams sound from ahead of you. As you cautiously approach, a blackened hairless figure steps into view. This creature stands tall above you and though most of it's form is fairly gaunt with tight muscles, the stomach of the creature is massive. Though the creature has long claws at the end of its arms, the shock-white jaws of the creature seem the greater threat as it opens its gaping maw. As it does so you, the moans become louder and you realize with a start that the sounds of pain are coming from within the creature itself."

Paralyzing Breath (Su): This breath is consists of the stomach juice inside the Sjal Tuv. Three times per day, the Sjal Tuv can take the juices inside and spit them out, an action similar to that of puking. This is a fifteen foot cone and creatures in the area must make a Reflex save DC 24 or be paralyzed for 2d4 rounds.

Stomach Stasis (Su): A creature swallowed by a Sjal Tuv must make a Fortitude save DC 24 or be paralyzed by the Sjal Tuv's stomach acids until the creature is freed. The stomach acids, although they paralyze the creature, do not prevent it from feeling pain nor do they stop the groans and screams of pain coming from inside the Sjal Tuv's Stomach. If a creature stays inside for an entire rest period, the creature gains rest as if it had had a normal night's rest [gaining a number of hit points equal to its HD].

Life Stealing (Su): If the Sjal Tuv successfully swallows a person, it can then begin to steal their life forces, gaining 1 hp per person inside it's stomach. So if it has swallowed three people and is holding them in stasis, the Sjal Tuv would, when activing its Life Stealing ability, gain effectively Fast Healing 3. The Sjal Tuv is limited by the amount of fast healing by the number of creatures inside it. It can only benefit from this if the creature swallowed is at least of Tiny size. Activating this ability is a Move Action.

Soul Power (Su): If a creature dies because of the Life Stealing ability, the suffering for that creature has not yet ended. His soul is taken in by the Sjal Tuv. One side effect of this ability is that a character cannot be brought back to any means until the Sjal Tuv is killed. Souls circle the Sjal Tuv, protecting it. Each soul lasts for 1 day per HD before they disappear. Together, the souls grant the Sjal Tuv a Deflection bonus to its Armor Class and Saves equal to the number of souls circling the Sjal Tuv, or the Sjal Tuv's Charisma modifier, whichever is fewer.

Soul Sweep (Su): To use this ability, the Sjal Tuv must have a number of souls protecting him equal to 1 + his Charisma modifier. Each round, the Sjal Tuv may make an extra attack with each soul greater than his Charisma modifier. Thus an average Sjal Tuv has a Charisma modifier of +4. If the Sjal Tuv has 5 total souls circling it, it can make one additional attack per round. This attack is at the Sjal Tuv's attack modifier and is considered a Touch Attack. A soul deals 1d4 damage per hit and can only make a single attack each round.

Skills
Sjav Tul gain a +4 racial bonus on Hide checks in the dark because of their black skin. However, for each soul within their stomach, because of the moaning and screaming, they gain a -2 circumstance penalty on their Move Silently checks.

Ecology
No one knows where the Sjal Tuv came from. Most suspect experimentations of Necromancers, but those people tend to be confused about the truth of the Sjal Tuv, believing it to be Undead instead of an Outsider, who also frequently use souls. Other speculate that numerous groups of malevolent souls band together to create the Sjal Tuv, but others mock those claims because if that was the case, then the Sjal Tuv wouldn't be physical in form.

The truth is probably closer to the fact that while some Demons trade souls and others use them for creating powerful items, some Demons have learned to absorb them into themselves and use them for their own personal power. These Sjal Tuv, "Soul Stealers", are probably similar to these Demons without actually being Demons themselves. They are not a part of the Blood War and in fact care only about the souls of others. They need the souls not only to protect themselves, but also to survive. They do not eat and in fact do not swallow anything but living specemins. Though they would prefer not to, in dire times, they will in fact, eat animals. People may not believe that animals have souls, but Sjal Tuvs have learned that any living creature with an intelligence has a soul they can use.

Some particularly clever Sjal Tuvs have managed to create a base of power for themselves and use the surrounding area as a virtually unlimited supply of souls. They tend to eat what they need to while keeping several people locked up for when danger approaches. Those who live in a castle and have guardians will eat the souls when pesky adventurers first announce their presence.

Last edited:

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Sarava

Wooh! Two in one day. Guess that's what waiting for everyone else to wake up and get ready for gaming will do for me. Used to be one of the last cause I'd need to sleep in, but now because of work, I wake up early and I'm the first to awaken. Oh well.

So this was once a character I had created for a pbp campaign which was going VERY well until it actually came time to start the game. The DM suddenly disappeared, leaving four players going WTF? Anyway, to make this a little more fitting for the my CREATURES as mentioned in the thread title, I decided to twist the history around a little, making him a GHOST.

Sarava
Size/Type:
Medium Undead Hexblade 12
Hit Dice: 12d12 (111 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 30 ft, fly 30 ft (Perfect)
Armor Class: 25 (+9 full plate, +6 deflection), touch 25, flat-footed 25

Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+15
Attack: Battleaxe +15 melee 1d8 [19-20/x3]
Full Attack: Battleaxe +15/+10/+5 melee (1d8 [19-20/x3]), touch +10 touch (Draining Touch)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Draining Touch [DC 22], Frightful Moan [DC 22], Greater Hexblades Curse, Hexblades Curse [3/day; DC 24], Manifestation
Special Qualities: Aura of Unluck [9 rounds], Mettle, Rejuvination, Turn Resistance +4

Saves: Fort +4, Ref +8, Will +7 [+6 v. spells/spell-like abilities]
Abilities: Str -, Dex 18, Con -, Int 12, Wis 8, Cha 22

Skills: Bluff +21, Concentration +21, Diplomacy +21, Hide +12, Listen +7, Search +9, Spellcraft +16, Spot +7

Feats: Ability Focus (Curse), Battle Caster, Improved Critical (Battle axe), Spell Focus (Enchantment; Bonus), Greater Spell Focus (Enchantment; Bonus), Practiced Spellcaster

Challenge Rating: 14
Treasure: Ghost Touch Mithril Full Plate, Ghost Touch Battleaxe
Alignment: Always chaotic evil

Aura of Unluck (Su): Once per day, a hexblade of 12th level or higher can create a baleful aura of misfortune. Any melee or ranged attack made against the hexblade while this aura of unluck is active has a 20% miss chance (similar to the effect of concealment). Activating the aura is a free action, and the aura lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + the hexblade’s Charisma bonus (if any).

Draining Touch(Su): A ghost that hits a living target with its incorporeal touch attack drains 1d4 points from any one ability score it selects. On each such successful attack, the ghost heals 5 points of damage to itself. Against etheral opponents, it adds its Strength modifier to attack rolls only. Against nonethereal opponents, it adds its Dexterity modifier to attack rolls only.

Frightful Moan (Su): The ghost can emit a frightful moan as a standard action. All living creatures within a 30-foot spread must succeed at a Will save or become panicked for 2d4 rounds. This is a sonic, necromantic, mind-affecting fear effect. A creature that successfully saves against the moan cannot be affected by the same ghost’s moan for 24 hours.

Greater Hexblade’s Curse (Su): When a hexblade attains 7th level, the penalty on attacks, saves, ability checks, skill checks, and weapon damage rolls incurred by a target of the hexblade’s curse becomes –4 instead of –2.

Hexblade’s Curse (Su): Once per day, as a free action, a hexblade can unleash a curse upon a foe. The target must be visible to the hexblade and within 60 feet. The target of a hexblade’s curse takes a –2 penalty on attacks, saves, ability checks, skill checks, and weapon damage rolls for 1 hour thereafter. A successful Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 hexblade’s class level + hexblade’s Cha modifier) negates the effect.

Rejuvination: As the ability. However, unlike normal, Sarava is not bound to a specific location and therefore does not return to anywhere specific. Instead, he reappears in a random direction 1-10 miles away.

Spells Known: 4/4/3 [DC 16 + spell level +2 for Enchantment spells] Per day: 3/3/2 [Caster level 10th]
1st - Charm Person, Disguise Self, Expeditious Retreat, Tasha's
2nd - Blindness/Deafness, Eagle's Splendor, Mirror Image, SUggestion
3rd - Confusion, Hound of Doom, Vampiric Touch

Appearance
Sarava is a handsome young man, his face remaining unscarred so far despite the battles. Even in undeath, his appearance remains the same. His hair is of short length and disheveled, giving him an add boyish look despite the hardness in his face and eyes. His body is lean and muscular and shows the signs of the numerous battles he has gone through. For him everything is about luck, whether good or bad. His entire life has been directed by luck, the cause of his death was poor luck, and he will find his loved one through luck alone.

History
"Luck is important, both good and bad, good for me, bad for you. Ever been in a major fight and your opponent trips at a poor moment and you manage to get the kill? Luck. Bad for him, good for you. Luck can change anything and everything, but you have to be aware of it and ready to change depending on your luck."
-Sarava

Sarava was born to a family that one wouldn't consider great, the child of a cheap prostitute and a gambler. His mother died when he was young due to a disease, but his father continued to live on. Luck, he was told early by his father, that's the only reason he lived. His father was what most would consider a poor gambler. He didn't understand people nor could he read them. Half the time he didn't even look at his cards when he played, but he still managed to live comfortably with his son. Sarava was told that he could never truly understood luck and should never attempt to. Live with it and let it flow. Take the opportunities luck provides.

Sarava, however, was not of the same temperament as his father and though he agreed on his father's points of luck, he tended to dislike playing cards and drinking. Instead, he combined his luck and his sly tongue to sell valuables, mainly jewelry and gems, to attractive ladies, a habit he was fond of.

Everything was good and his life fine until he was drafted into the army because of the war. He didn't understand how this could have taken him from his pleasant life, why his luck had turned on him. It took all his might to not focus on it and dwell on the reasons behind his draft and the war. Instead, he accepted his position and went to battle. His luck did not fail him and though he fought in many difficult battles, he survived when so many of his comrades had not.

When he met Calanthe in the middle of a desperate battle and they both managed to escape alive, he believed that his luck had steered him to be what was considered the love of his life. They were assigned the same group and made each other happy. Sarava was asked to join a special type of military group, one that performed more specific missions as opposed to being part of a general army. Although he hated to be apart from Calanthe, he felt he could not turn this down. He helped complete several such missions and visited Calanthe whenever he had freetime. He felt their love grow despite their periods of separation.

He had just been assigned an important mission when he learned that Calanthe was with child...

He returned from that mission to find that everything had been destroyed. He stared at the scenery in shock, a shock which hadn't recovered as he searched for Calanthe. He never did find her, but on the plus side, it did not mean that she was dead either. However, just as he was about to search the world for her, he was struck by an enemy sniper and killed. Anger and grief kept him alive and as he felt the life leave his body, he felt himself float free. He killed the sniper and then circled the ruined city. He didn't know what to do, where to go, so he just started roaming, searching for Calanthe and their child.

Last edited:

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Jdvn1 said:
Been busy?

Ug. Yeah. Haven't worked on this, my campaign setting, or the campaign I plan on running in probably about a month. Was gonna try to join another pbp campaign, but I haven't really been able to make my character for that either. Need to back out of that. :heh:

Although I have been getting some overtime at work. :)

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Dog Moon said:
Although I have been getting some overtime at work. :)
Well that helps. Overtime helps to make you the extra money that you want to buy the new books, which inspires the new creatures.

Whenever thay arrive, I'll be on the lookout, you do great stuff Dog Moon!

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Man, why didn't anyone tell me the links in my first page are broken? I was trying to make sure one of the creatures in a file was already saved in this thread, but it didn't lead me to the write spot!

Guess no one's made use of it. :(

Btw, since I got a new computer, I'm slowly going through all my files and stuff... again ...hopefully, I'll be able to upload one of those here within the next few days. I'm also gonna work on preparing for my next campaign and hopefully, interesting creatures should come out of that. Although oddly, I don't think anything interesting came from my last campaign. Well, Tarod, at any rate did.

And sorry for all those who see the thread move to the top of the first page and then look to see nothing but this commentary. :)

Anyone have any more suggestions? Anyone use one of my monsters and have anything they want to say? I know you've said you've liked my creations, but I'd like to see at least one of them used!

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Okay, I was thinking of the Svirfneblin when I created this. I like the Svirfneblin for some inexplicable reason. Don't ask; I can't explain. ;) They look neat in my mind and I like the name. Besides, they other Gnomes are crappy, with the exception of the Tinker Gnomes [I think they exist SOMEWHERE]

Anyway, they apparently have close ties to the Earth Elementals because they can summon them [as a feat in Races of Faerun; forgot the name] and as written by the author of the Drizzt novels. I thought, if the Earth Elementals were summoned to protect them, maybe there should be an Elemental trained specifically to protect the important Svirfneblin, like a contract of sorts. In my mind, I picture the Earth Elements as having levels in Knight Protector, the PrC, and the more important the person, the higher level of the elemental. Low ranking soldiers wouldn't have any, but low ranking soldiers might have a Medium Elemental with a level in Knight Protector, for example, while the King of the Svirfneblin would be protected by this guy here.

I kind of wanted to give the Elemental Full Plate or something, but I didn't. It just seems weird to garb an Elemental in Armor, but a Knight Protector without armor just doesn't sound right. It would give the Elemental +8 additional AC, however, which would be a pretty nice boost.

Despite the fact that it needs Mounted Combat for the PrC, I didn't give him a mount...
Seriously though, an Earth Elemental with a mount?

Last note: I gave the Elemental the Swarmshifter Template from Libris Mortis. Although the Elemental shouldn't actually be able to take it, I liked the idea of the Elemental being able to turn itself into a vortex of sand and be able to move around like that, a neat ability, IMO. It's not the first Elemental creature I've made with that template illegally applied, and it sure as heck won't be the last. ;)

And now on to my latest creation:

Swarmshifter Earth Elemental Fighter 1/Knight Protector 10
Large Elemental (Earth, Extraplanar, Shapechanger)
Hit Dice:
8d8+11d10+114 (246 hp)
Initiative: –1
Speed: 20 ft
Armor Class: 18 (–1 size, –1 Dex, +10 natural), touch 8, flat-footed 18

Base Attack/Grapple: +17/+29
Attack: Slam +24 melee (3d8+8/19-20)
Full Attack: 2 slams +24 melee (3d8+8/19-20)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Earth mastery, push
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 9/–, earth glide, darkvision 60 ft., elemental traits

Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Saves: Fort +16, Ref +4, Will +11
Abilities: Str 26, Dex 8, Con 20, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 11

Skills: Diplomacy +8, Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) +5, Listen +2, Ride +5, Spot +2

Feats: Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Critical (Slam), Improved Natural Attack, Improved Toughness, Iron Will (Bonus), Mounted Combat, Power Attack, Thick-Skinned (x2)

Environment: Elemental Plane of Earth [Unless it's currently protecting someone]
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 16 [or 17 if you believe being able to shift into a swarm of sand is worth +1 CR]
Treasure: None
Advancement: By Class
Level Adjustment: -

Defensive Stance (Ex): A the start of any turn when a knight protector is within 5 feet of an ally who has fewer Hit Dice than he does, the knight protector can transfer up to 2 points of Armor Class to the ally (making his own Armor Class worse by the same number). The maximum number of points he can transfer increases by 1 for every three levels beyond first. [+5]

Shining Beacon (Su): A knight protector is the physical and spiritual embodiment of high ideals. All his allies gain a +4 morale bonus on saves against fear effects when they stand within 10 feet of the character. If the knight protector is paralyzed, unconscious, or otherwise rendered helpless, his allies lose this bonus.

Best Effort (Ex): The daunting nature of the knight protector's goals often requires special focus of effort. Beginning at 2nd level, a knight protector gains a bonus on any one skill check he makes, once per day. The character must declare that he is using this ability before he makes the skill check. This bonus increases by 1 for every three levels beyond 2nd. [+4]

Supreme Cleave (Ex): Beginning at 3rd level, a knight protector can take a 5-foot step between attacks when using the Cleave or Great Cleave feat.

No Mercy (Ex): Two extra AOs per round.

Restributive Attack (Su): If an ally of the knight protector is rendered helpless or unconscious, the character can make a retributive attack against the creature that felled his ally. When making a retributive attack, the knight protector adds his Charisma bonus (if any) on his attack roll and deals extra 10 point of damage on a successful hit. 1/day, +0AR/+10Dam

Swarm of Sand
Fine Elemental (Swarm)
Speed:
Fly 60 ft (perfect).
Special Qualities: An elemental in sand swarm form has the following additional special quality, in addition to darkvision out to 60 feet and elemental traits.
Immune to Weapon Damage (Ex): Weapon attacks are useless against a swarm of Fine creatures.

Earth Elemental: Monster Manual
Fighter Base Class: Player's Handbook
Knight Protector Prestige Class: Complete Warrior
Swarmshifter Template: Libris Mortis

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases