A note on descriptions

Lily

First Post
Then it looks like you simply won't have a picture for your character. ISRP doesn't require having a picture to RP.

And if you must have one - Conceal the picture under a direct link, but put a disclaimer that the character does not have all the elements that the picture shows.

Example

A visual representation of John Doe

Disclaimer
This character does not have wings.

The picture is belongs to Rebecca Ivic

Lince'sa

First Post
Amber said:
personally i think the whole restriction thing is a little bit racist in its own off handed way....i mean seriously, this restriction thing is getting WAY, WAY, WAY, out of control...pretty soon we will only be allowed to play humans...diversity is what makes dungeons and dragons what it is..being able to tweek and manipulate little things here and there to make your character unique from everyone elses is what a lot of players enjoy doing when creating a character. thats my opinion and how i am feeling right now about the whole thing...friend of amber's

Racist? in all the time I've been playing D&D (and it's been a while!) I've never seen demons, weres, vampires, aliens, slimy green blobs, liches or dragons, strolling casually through greyhawk. there's a reason for this. A KILL ON SIGHT ORDER! Greyhawk IS racist against drow, dragons, demons, and other non-humanoid races. if you think you're surface loving drow can dance naked in the moonlight in greyhawk city, expect not to make it to the tavern alive in the first place. I DO belive Siani has more than once posted Greyhawk's fear of non-humanoids and their "kill-on-sight" practices. there HAVE been exceptions and she posted them in the tavern rules, cover yourself up, disguise yourself, or do SOMETHING. these rules were voted on long ago, they aren't going to change now.

Meh

First Post
Before You go flying off the handle..

Even the normaly goodly races are not allowed in the tavern that would be normally accpeted in the DMG, and the monster manuals, Centaurs are not evil, and are in greyhawk, as are many other creatures with claws and sharpend teeth.. etc etc..

And yes Lil I guess not. Like I said it sounds like you all are just making more rules up as you go along, or applying more to them.

Magi_Trelian

First Post
Lily said:
Then it looks like you simply won't have a picture for your character. ISRP doesn't require having a picture to RP.

And if you must have one - Conceal the picture under a direct link, but put a disclaimer that the character does not have all the elements that the picture shows.

Example

A visual representation of John Doe

Disclaimer
This character does not have wings.

The picture is belongs to Rebecca Ivic

A word of warning here on external links inside descriptions:

If you post just the url as something to cut & paste, that's cool.

If you make it a clickable link, then it's hard to get back to the description settings. There's no "back" button showing and people may think they're stuck looking at your picture for the rest of their ISRP session. The hidden trick is to right-click within the picture you've been sent to, and then use the "back" option inside the right-click-menu.

Lily

First Post
Meh said:
Before You go flying off the handle..

Even the normaly goodly races are not allowed in the tavern that would be normally accpeted in the DMG, and the monster manuals, Centaurs are not evil, and are in greyhawk, as are many other creatures with claws and sharpend teeth.. etc etc..

And yes Lil I guess not. Like I said it sounds like you all are just making more rules up as you go along, or applying more to them.

No, no more rules have been made up as "they" have gone along. Magi Gabriel made a post several months ago stating the size limitation on pictures, but maybe you didn't read it.

Last edited:

Lince'sa said:
I DO belive Siani has more than once posted Greyhawk's fear of non-humanoids and their "kill-on-sight" practices. there HAVE been exceptions and she posted them in the tavern rules, cover yourself up, disguise yourself, or do SOMETHING. these rules were voted on long ago, they aren't going to change now.

Again I find myself pointing out that this is not the case. They were *NOT* voted on. The idea that the restrictions was a community descision is a ridiculous claim. That said however, the rules have been here a while now, and it was pointed out some time ago that images did have size limits, and violating characters must be disguised.

Just for clarification, might I ask the difference between having a link to an image with a disclaimer about offending ears/horns/tails not supposed to be there, and simply having an image in the description itself with a similar disclaimer? As was noted it is of course a case by case situation, but this seems to suggest having a link rather then the actual picture gets around the issue. I am of course assuming this is not the case, but thought I might double check.

Lince'sa

First Post
Tyrian_Spellstealer said:
Again I find myself pointing out that this is not the case. They were *NOT* voted on. The idea that the restrictions was a community descision is a ridiculous claim. That said however, the rules have been here a while now, and it was pointed out some time ago that images did have size limits, and violating characters must be disguised.

Just for clarification, might I ask the difference between having a link to an image with a disclaimer about offending ears/horns/tails not supposed to be there, and simply having an image in the description itself with a similar disclaimer? As was noted it is of course a case by case situation, but this seems to suggest having a link rather then the actual picture gets around the issue. I am of course assuming this is not the case, but thought I might double check.

http://www.enworld.org/showpost.php?p=2565341&postcount=1

this is one of the threads about the voting, if more are needed, I'm sure Siani knows where the vote AND the results are hidden.

That thread is a discussion thread. It is my understanding that the vote proposed in this thread in reguards to the setting restrictions was NEVER carried out, due to WotC throwing us out on the lawn (which is wizards loss) - instead when we found the new forums and chat site over at UH the 'setting restriction proposal' was already decided on by the powers that be, not by a community vote.

There WAS a vote on the setting to replace Juxta, but that (at the time) had nothing to do with setting restrictions. It was Faerun that won the vote, but again when the move to UH was made the powers that be decided to include Sigil as well, something i'm quite thankful for personally.

If my understanding in this is wrong (something that happens frequently :) )and we were given a vote on the setting restrictions, I would indeed LOVE to see where the vote and its results are hidden - i've been searching for such a thread for some time but have yet to find it.

One of course could argue that we were given a chance to object in the discussion thread, but theres a big difference between 'voting' on an issue and discussing it.

Drindin

First Post
Well then, let me be the first to call on Siani to end this ridiculous raving and dissention (That really shouldn't exisist, considering that there *IS* an open setting) once and for all.

My dissension is not with the issue of setting restrictions, i've stated once before I'm all for them. My disagreement is about how they came to pass, and the use of the term 'voting', nothing more. Though I admit, that has nothing to do with this subject, and I fear whilst asking for clarification on links vs images my petty nature may have derailed the thread, for that I apologise.

Remove ads