Help with converting X4 creatures

Sixten

First Post
As sort of a learning exercise for the 3E rules (which I've picked up after a long hiatus from D&D), I've been working on converting an old module: X4, Master of the Desert Nomads. There are a number of "new" creatures in it, and I wanted to get some feedback on my conversions (accuracy, adherance to the rules), as well as ask a couple of questions about the process.

The creatures from this module are: bhut, juggernaut, nagpa, tabi, and soul eater. My conversions are in the attached RTF file, and below are some notes about what I've done, and where I've run into trouble. Any advice or guidance you all can provide would be appreciated.

Bhut: I feel pretty good about this conversion, which is similar to, but not the same as, one available from the old conversion archive by Robert Schwalb.

Juggernaut: the CC has a 3E juggernaut, but that conversion is based (I think) on a creature from an 1E module, which was already different from the creature in X4. The biggest question I have here is the damage it does. The X4 version does 8d10/10d10 and the CC creature does 4d6+13; the monster-building article lists huge construct damage as typically about 2d8. Granted, having a stone house rolling over a PC seems like it should do some damage :D but I'm not sure where the appropriate balance between literal conversion and 3E-ness lies.

Nagpa: this creature was one of the harder ones for me. Not because of the basic stats, but because the primary ability of the nagpa is to throw a bunch of spells. The fluff strongly implies to me that the 3E version should be able to take wizard levels. And if nagpa are wizards, should I reduce the base HD, etc., and assume that the OD&D stats are for a nagpa that has wizard levels already? Should they keep their innate spells?

Tabi: my biggest question here is one of size. The tabi is described as being the size of a "large housecat." Actually, now that I review everything, I'm not sure why I made mine Small and not Tiny, except maybe that the attack damages worked out better. Oh, well, back to work fixing that one.... :(

Soul Eater: here, too, there is a conversion in the CC (which I discovered only the other day), and we seem to have gone very different ways with our conversions. If you read this, Scott, I'd be especially grateful for your thoughts. The biggest difference is that I've made mine incorporeal: this seemed to be faithful to the spirit of the original creature, and in keeping with a number of its special abilities. I am a little worried about whether that makes it too strong, though. This is part of the reason why my version does not kill directly by draining, but must coup de grace the helpless victim. Also, I see that the CC version has extrapolated as well, adding the Find Target abilities, and removing the extra HD and damage from the rage. Also, I see that the CR is 10; the guesstimator would say about 5 -- why so much higher?

Thanks for any help you can offer,
Sixten

Attachments

• x4creatures.rtf
    76.6 KB · Views: 246

Sixten

First Post
By the way...

Since I'm sure people will notice the very low post count, let me introduce myself. :D

I have been sort of a lapsed gamer for a few years now; when we moved to Tucson, I wasn't really prepared to go put a 3x5 on the board at the FLGS. So I've been puttering here and there. Just in the last couple of months has d20 really been interesting me more and more (since, like most people, I used to play D&D, grew out of it, and am now feeling nostalgic).

Conversions are a sort of modelling problem (here's a thing, here's a framework of rules, now how do you accomplish that goal with those rules), which I enjoy, and like to consider myself reasonably good at. But I'm new to this system, and could use some help from the acknowledged masters. ;)

I chose Master of the Desert Nomads because I remember the cover illustration from decades ago when a cousin tried to get me to play 1st Edition. I went looking in the Wizards store when I found out about the ESD program, and I managed to find it. And with my wife out of state for the summer, I find myself with a lot of spare time for useless hobby projects. :rolleyes:

So, like I said, any tutelage is very much appreciated.

Sixten

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Welcome to the boards Sixten. As for your comments/suggestions/questions on X4, I'll have to dig mine out as I don't have my copy handy at the moment so I can properly respond and such.

But- I do remember the Soul Eater conversion. I did it the way I did, just because I thought it worked well and seemed to fit. I didnt really see it as incorporeal, but your vision of it does seem to work quite well. That is the great thing about conversions. Some people see it one way, others see it another way. And sometimes those ideas come together, mesh well, and a really good conversion combining everyone's ideas comes from it.

Sixten

First Post
True enough

Scott wrote:
That is the great thing about conversions. Some people see it one way, others see it another way. And sometimes those ideas come together, mesh well, and a really good conversion combining everyone's ideas comes from it.

I agree. It's one of the interesting properties of modelling problems that I really like. (Of course, it's also one of the aspects of "geek" culture that many people find really irritating, too.)

In this particular case, the incorporeality of the soul eater was something I sort of struggled with. I mean, the thing's a big, extraplanar cloud. It can only be hit by magical weapons, and the description really makes it seem like something without a real physical presence. And yet, it's got these claws that it physically attacks with (and ability drain, no less), and it seems like being incorporeal might make it too strong.

Sixten

Sixten

First Post
Revised Tabi

Revised to make the Tabi tiny, not small, and to codify the "stench of rot" as a special quality.

Tabi

Tiny Monstrous Humanoid
Hit Dice: 5d8 (22 hp)
Initiative: +3 (+3 Dex)
Speed: 20 ft., fly 80 ft. (average)
AC: 16 (+2 size, +4 Dex)
Attacks: 2 Claws +10
Damage: Claws 1d4-3 and venom
Face/Reach: 2 1/2 ft. by 2 1/2 ft. / 0 ft.
Special Attacks: Envenomed claws
Special Qualities: Stench
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +8, Will +4
Abilities: Str 5, Dex 18, Con 10, Int 9, Wis 11, Cha 7
Skills: Bluff +2, Hide +6, Knowledge (arcana) +5, Move Silently +6, Pick Pocket +7
Feats: Weapon finesse (claws)
Climate/Terrain: Any warm or temperate land
Organization: Solitary, Gang (1-4)
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: None
Alignment: Usually chaotic evil
Advancement: 6-8 HD (Tiny), 9-15 HD (Small)

The tabi are small, winged, ape-like creatures about the size of a large housecat. Their bodies are covered with a long golden fur while their wings are leathery membranes, like a bat's. They are intelligent and clever.

Tabi have very long lifetimes, during which they gather much information about ancient legends and forgotten lore. They are intelligent and speak their own tongue. It is possible for high level wizards to research a spell that will bind a tabi to the caster's service.

Combat

Envenomed Claws (Ex): Any character hit by a tabi must make a Fortitude save (DC 12). Failure indicates that the character has succumbed to the venom's hallucinatory effects, and becomes confused for 2d6 x 10 minutes. A neutralize poison spell will end the delusion.

Stench (Ex): Any creature within 100 ft. of a tabi gains a +2 circumstance bonus to all Spot checks made against it, due to its strong and distinctive odor of rot.

EDIT: formatting, damage penalty

Sixten

Last edited:

Sixten

First Post
Nagpa

As long as I'm talking to myself, I'll note this potentially interesting datum: I discovered that the nagpa appears in the 2E Mystara Appendix to the Monstrous Compendium. TSR's conversion does explicitly give nagpa spell-casting abilities as a mid-level wizard, in addition to their innate abilities. Not sure I want to do that, though. Seems like they should only get one or the other to me.

Sixten

First Post
Grazzt said:
As for your comments/suggestions/questions on X4, I'll have to dig mine out as I don't have my copy handy at the moment so I can properly respond and such.

You ever find your copy, Scott?

I'm not going to have much chance to work on this stuff again at least until next week -- so no rush or anything -- but I'd still love any comments you might have on these conversions.

Remove ads