Art of Fighting Beyond Monks question

dagger

Adventurer
I have had this product since it first came out, and I am thinking of replacing the Monk with Martial Artist in my FR campaign.

How do you think this class stacks up in actual play with the other PHB classes (too powerful, to weak)?

Are there any feats or other options I should limit?

Thank ye!

Psion

Adventurer
dagger said:
I have had this product since it first came out, and I am thinking of replacing the Monk with Martial Artist in my FR campaign.

How do you think this class stacks up in actual play with the other PHB classes (too powerful, to weak)?

Are there any feats or other options I should limit?

I've been using this is my Shackled City game. The PC Martial Artist is only 5th level, so I haven't hit any snags with higher level abilities yet. So far, the character is comporable with a fighter. I think before 3.5 came out, they might have been better than a fighter, but with the addition of new higher level fighter-only feats that the MA doesn't have access too, they are pretty comparable.

It's not a monk, though, and lack's the monks defenses. Not that many people really appreciate the monk's role as a "mage killer and fast pursuit fighter", but if you expect it to slot right in for a monk as it exists in 3.5, not quite. It's a conceptual replacement for a monk, but it's a role replacement for a fighter.

Voadam

Legend
I haven't used them in actual play but they look like a lot of fun, although the customization comes in a little late.

I feel they would work fine side by side with ordinary monks as they are a different style of more physically oriented martial artists.

The feats and prcs all looked fine to me when I got it years ago as well.

JRRNeiklot

First Post
I played one years ago and liked it, but I had a level of monk for the wisdom bonus. I have to say, I'm not real fond of the finishing move ability, though. It can get you killed. I almost never used it. The MA makes a great springboard into the 3.0 bladesinger, too.

Remove ads