Just Remembering

punkorange

First Post
I'm sitting at the game store I opened (we are normally slow in the mornings) and I find myself thinking about my best friend that passed a couple years ago. He was a dear friend, and sometimes still it just seams unreal that he isn't sitting here with me, playing magic, or whatever the hell else we would be doing at the time. I guess my worse fear is forgetting as life goes on, just how much of a friend he was.

Anyone else lost someone that for all intents and purposes they shouldn't have lost? My friend died at 22, seemingly good health. Life just sucks sometimes, but we can't forget the people who helped make us who we are even if we can no longer thank them.

Belen

Adventurer
Yes. I had a very good friend who was murdered while working at pawn shop to make enough money to go to school.

DaveStebbins

First Post
Two members of my original extended gaming group have taken their own lives over the years (one at 25, the other at 31), and another had a massive heart attack and died at 29.

-Dave

Harmon

First Post
Lost a few friends, though no gaming friends as of yet <knock on wood> and none within recent years <again, knocking>.

We must all pass. We live, love, build memories, make a difference in people's lives, and then we die. It is a fact you can not avoid.

Oh, remember that as long as you love someone, and remember them they are always alive.

Peace

Dog Moon

Adventurer
I can't say that I've lost any friends due to deaths, but I've had plenty move away/lost contact with/etc, though I do frequently pause to think about. Different kind of loss, but sort of permanent in its own way.

genshou

First Post
I only had friends die when I was very young. There were a lot of them, and it affected me during my childhood. But I am okay with that now.

Umm, anyway... I don't even remember what those friends look like or anything, because it was so long ago, but I worry for those I know because we are all so close to death at every moment. I believe in an afterlife, but that doesn't mean I don't feel sorrow when others pass on. Though they were not friends, many people around me have left this stage of life. I mourn their passing with the rest of the world. :(

Nyaricus

First Post
My mom died when I was 11, and it has affected me quite a bit. It kinda sucks, because I was right on the verge of that time where you truely become your own person and being to look at life in a new way, and then she was taken away from me thanks to some really rare disease (schleroderma - really nasty stuff there). My dad was also abusive, which lead me to leave home when I was 16, and live with a friend for awhile befor my grama on my moms side found aout about it and gave me a loving home. She's a widow from when I was 14, so there's that, too.

Life is a tough SOB sometimes, and I've just had to push through it with the help of some strong friendships I've luckily forged. My best regards to all who've lost someone they've cared about - I know where you are coming from.

pogre

Legend
Sorry for your loss. Years ago I lost a friend who taught me how to play bridge. If you are like me, every time you play the game you will think fondly back on those memories.

I lost one of my former athletes (I coach at the HS level) in Iraq this spring. Thoughts about him have dominated my weekend.

Kastil

Explorer
My one friend Pat died due to complications with something he had. He owed a comic book shop and when he closed that down, we lost contact except through email. I happened to email him about what tattoo shop he'd recommend and his wife told me. I was devastated. He was like a mentor of mine.

Another died of cancer... very young, early twenties. I saw him at his best and I saw him at his worst. I still think of Scott now and then and it still brings tears to my eyes. He was the most beautiful soul I have ever known in my life time. I loved him like a brother. He took his impeding death with grace and dignity, never asking why. He will always have a place in my heart.

Harmon

First Post
Had a friend teach me to read military time years ago. He died in front of me- to this day I keep my watch on military time, just to remember him. :(

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases