OOC - Lost Tomb of the Sphinx Queen - 14th Level Dungeon Crawl

Malvoisin

First Post
I am now recruiting for a high-level one-shot adventure, 'Lost Tomb of the Sphinx Queen' from Goodman Games.

Be aware that this is a published module from Goodman's Dungeon Crawl Classics series. Potential players should be aware of the manifesto for this series, to wit:

"Remember the good old days, when adventures were underground, NPCs were there to be killed, and the finale of every dungeon was the dragon on the 20th level? Those days are back. Dungeon Crawl Classics don't waste your time with long-winded speeches, weird campaign settings, or NPCs who aren't meant to be killed. Each adventure is 100% good, solid dungeon crawl, with the monsters you know, the traps you fear, and the secret doors you know are there somewhere."

For this adventure, I will need 5 characters of 14th level. The dungeon has a lot of traps and riddles, in addition to plenty of exciting combat encounters. A well-balanced party will be needed. Players with some experience at high-level D&D play would also be preferable. Also, I strongly prefer players who are able to post on a near daily basis, to keep the game moving.

Although the game is set ostensibly in an Egyptian setting, character concepts need not reflect this (although they may if you wish).

For this game, I am leaving acceptable rules supplements wide open. Nearly anything published by WotC will be considered, although anything non-core is subject to my final approval. The players will not be selected on a first-come, first-served basis. I will choose the players based on strength of character concept, and party balance.

If this sounds like a game you'd enjoy, please reply with an expression of interest, and a character idea. I do not want full character sheets at this time...just a paragraph detailing the race/class of the character you'd like to play, as well as perhaps some pertinent feats, spells, or equipment that help define your concept.

Give a holler if you have any questions.

Thanks for your time!
Malvoisin

Last edited:

Gli'jar

First Post
I am interested. I will edit the post to add additional particulars but off hand a human cleric/radiant servant of Pelor or Ra if the diety switch matches for the class. Focus will be healing and undead combat.

Malvoisin

First Post
Gli'jar said:
I am interested. I will edit the post to add additional particulars but off hand a human cleric/radiant servant of Pelor or Ra if the diety switch matches for the class. Focus will be healing and undead combat.

All right, sounds like a good start. I look forward to any further details you'd like to provide.

Ferrix

Explorer
I'll toss my hat in as a straight up human fighter :)

Using some material from the PHB II (for those high level fighter goodies it offers).

Do you have any other creation guidelines for us (rolling, point buy, hp)?

Malvoisin

First Post
Ferrix said:
I'll toss my hat in as a straight up human fighter :)

Using some material from the PHB II (for those high level fighter goodies it offers).

Do you have any other creation guidelines for us (rolling, point buy, hp)?

I don't want to get too far into specific creation guidelines, because I'd rather discuss the characters as concepts right now, rather than as stats.

I can tell you that ability scores will be determined by point buy (probably 28). I will assign hit point totals (don't worry, I'm generous).

Tell me more about your fighter....which feats in particular from the PHB II are interesting to you?

Ferrix

Explorer
The combat focus line, as well as Melee Weapon Mastery, Slashing Flurry, Short Haft.

A pole-arm fighter, along the weapon master line. Calm nerves, skilled but softspoken about it, has a quiet determination. No physical stat necessarily dominating.

Was wondering if you'd allow the Kensai fighter variant from dragon #310, but it's not necessary.

Loses medium, heavy armor & shield proficiency, as well as martial weapon (all). Gains martial or exotic proficiency in one weapon. Loses 1st level bonus feat but instead gains a +1 to attack & damage rolls with chosen weapon. Bonus increases by 1 at every 5th level.

Last edited:

Tinner

First Post
I'm very interested!

My character concept is a Gnomish Naysayer.
What I mean by that is a gnome bard who specializes in oration as his performance style.
Additionally, he's maxed out on the feats/spells/skills that improve his ability to counterspell other spellcasters. ie. Improved Counterspell, Dispel Magic, Spellcraft, etc.

Picture a cranky disagreeable gnome who just loves to argue. His outer surface is gruff and irritable, but deep down inside he's got a heart of gold.

He adventures for the thrill of "shouting down" high powered spellcasters. He loves nothing better than using his voice to halt evil casters and ruin their plans with the sound of his voice.

Getting mad treasure and "bling-bling" is just a bonus.

Sound good?

Kafkonia

First Post
Ichigo Yuri studied at the monastery almost from the day he was born. He trained with the masters, he swept the grounds, he learned the texts from which the brothers drew their inspiration. There was no doubt in his mind that the path of order was the path for him, and he followed it with every fibre in his being.

Then something went horribly wrong. A gate to Limbo opened in the centre of the temple, and out poured slaadi, chaos beasts, and things even less coherent. The monks battled bravely against the onslaught but were overwhelmed, slaughtered, implanted, and transformed -- all but Ichigo, who was left untouched.

Guilt and anger drove him to seek the reason for this catastrophe. Why had the portal opened? Who had opened it? The answer he learned horrified him.

The portal had been a mistake, triggered when a nearby wizard had sneezed while casting a summon monster spell. There was no reason beyond that.

Something in Ichigo snapped that day, and he might very well have descended into madness if the Xaositects hadn't found him. He embraced their teachings of a random universe with an even greater fervour than he had the ordered instructions of his senseis at the monastery. The world had no great plan, no great purpose -- one could only hope to ride out the storm of chaos.

----

Ichigo Yuri is a human Monk 10/Chaotician 4 (from the Planar Handbook.) His alignment changed from Lawful to Chaotic, so he can never go back to Monk -- but he doesn't lose any of the class traits.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
I'd like to throw in my hat too.

I've always wanted to play a mystic theurge. This is the progression I was thinking: Wizard 5/ Ur-Priest 2/Mystic theurge 7

Probably human, used to agressively pursue dark power (hence the Ur-Priest) and has veered off that path somewhat (used to be LE but is now LN).

Feats will focus on metamagics (almost exclusively) and I'm thinking he'll be the arcane know-it-all of the party.

If the concept is approved, I'll start working on the stats.
Cheers,

SG

Shayuri

First Post
I'm interested too!

I've several concepts...a scouty rangerish sort POSSIBLY with Horizon Walker...we'll see. Likely archer/ranger who likes to snipe. Hmm! Maybe even dipping into Shadowdancer? HMMM. Some interesting ideas there...

I'd also love to try a high level Duskblade from PHBII, possibly with Arcane Strike from Complete Warrior...and wielding a spiked chain. :)

Alternatively, a straight sorceror would be fun at that level...focusing on blasties and some utility/defense, most likely. Might even be fun to make it a kobold! Little...yappy guy, who discharges huge blasts of arcane whuppy. Hee.

Oh oh! And this could be a great setting for my Damage Magnet, Kuma! Barbarian/Sorceror/Dragon Disciple. Big guy. Big sword. Hits hard, has lots of HP. That's his schtick, and he does it well. BUAGH!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases