Weapon Training Feats

I was thinking about characters that want to break out of stereo-type by wielding weapons they are not normally trained in, and thought of these feats. I would be interested in any comments on their balance.

Simple Weapon Training:
Prereqs : any one simple weapon proficiency
Benefit : You are proficient in all simple weapons

Martial Weapon Training:
Prereqs : any one martial weapon proficiency
Benefit : You are proficient in all martial weapons

Exotic Weapon Training (subtype):
Prereqs : any one exotic(subtype) weapon proficiency
Benefit : You are proficient in all exotic(subtype) weapons

For the exotic weapon training, subtype would need to be set by the DM. You might have subtypes like dwarven, whip-like, martial-arts and so on.

Basically, my thinking is that if someone wants to have a wizard that is trained in use of all whip-like weapons, or all martial weapons, but doesn't want to take a level of fighter, they can. Normally you would have to take each weapon proficiency feat seperately, but that is way too steep for my taste.

The actual reason that I want to make these feats is that I'm introducing crude firearms to my campaign. I want them to be rareish, so they are exotic weapons, but I don't think someone should be forced to take 5 feats just to be proficient with all firearms.

Crothian

First Post
Simple weapons already work that way. take the feat, and you get all of them. I think allowing all martial weapons for a feat is too much. Perhaps you can do these as a group (Swords, bows, lances, pole arms, etc.) I did that. I divided it into seven groups. It seems to work well.

Exotic weapons as a group might be too much. For the most part Exotic weapons are more powerful. Also, many don't fit into nice neat catogories. Having small groups as an exotic weapon feat should be doible, but I'd define them before hand.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases