Armor Mastery and the Dwarf Knight

Presto2112

Explorer
I'm looking at putting together a Dwarf Knight and adding a touch or two of Dwarven Defender later on. One of the class abilities for the Knight is Armor Mastery, which allows you to ignore speed reduction with medium (and later, heavy) armor. Since dwarves can essentially do this anyway, if you were a DM, what would be some things you'd be willing to swap into the Knight's class abilities in place of Armor mastery? Perhaps a bonus fighter feat? Fast movement? Additional uses of Knights Challenge? Anything else?

Nothing. Dwarves make great knights as it is, despite their Charisma penalty -- their waraxe familiarity makes them excellent at weapon-and-shield combat; and their Con bonus, stability, and save bonus make them terrific defensive fighters.

Last edited:

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Likewise, I wouldn't give the dwarf anything. I don't think that dwarves are too powerful (although I don't give them weapon familiarity with dwarven waraxes), but there's no reason to go out of the way here.

Maybe let the Dwarf Knight modify the 'challenge' DC with his Wisdom, or even Constitution (big lungs), rather than Charisma.

Or give him a bonus to Bull Rush attempts.

smootrk

First Post
In keeping pace with the Knightly Skills and Abilities, I might just grant Shield Specialization (the feat from PHB2) as a bonus in exchange (light shields first, then heavy shieds later). It is a minor bonus, and presents little trouble to judge or keep track of otherwise.

Further thinking on this makes me want to grant the choice to any knight. Speed adjustment, or Shield Specialization. Or the choice can be made at each level giving the Knight the option to have Medium Armor speed adjusted, then later getting Shield Specialization, or vice versa. Seems like a reasonable adjustment to allow more varied knights who might like lighter armor.

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
A dwarf racial substitution level that lets the dwarf swap for a feat like Shield Specialization would be acceptable. Although I agree with those that think the dwarf needs no help to be a good knight. They already probably make the best knights.

Arkhandus

First Post
I'd give nothing. Elves don't get extra feats for already possessing proficiency in swords and bows when they take the Fighter class. Gnome wizards don't get extra spells known just because they already have a few cantrips as racial abilities before they would learn them anyway from the wizard class. A human fighter who multiclasses into barbarian doesn't get extra benefits just from already being proficient in martial weapons before entering the barbarian class. So dwarves don't need extra benefits from the knight class just for already possessing full movement speed in armor.

smootrk

First Post
Arkhandus said:
I'd give nothing. Elves don't get extra feats for already possessing proficiency in swords and bows when they take the Fighter class. Gnome wizards don't get extra spells known just because they already have a few cantrips as racial abilities before they would learn them anyway from the wizard class. A human fighter who multiclasses into barbarian doesn't get extra benefits just from already being proficient in martial weapons before entering the barbarian class. So dwarves don't need extra benefits from the knight class just for already possessing full movement speed in armor.
This is actually what crossed my mind, which is why I thought that the choices of shield or armor might work better than having all knights be mechanically the same all the time. I like the knight class so far, but there is little variation. Some choices of features or the order in which some features are chosen might help the knight class in my mind.

Nyaricus

First Post
smootrk said:
Further thinking on this makes me want to grant the choice to any knight. Speed adjustment, or Shield Specialization. Or the choice can be made at each level giving the Knight the option to have Medium Armor speed adjusted, then later getting Shield Specialization, or vice versa. Seems like a reasonable adjustment to allow more varied knights who might like lighter armor.
I like that - consider it yoinked :D

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases