Why are D&D discussions so angry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyaricus

First Post
Nightfall said:
Ny,

Maybe we just need to take valium or something... ;)
I am taking a great offense to this, and reporting your post.

And I'm gong to call you a poopey-ahed and state that the Scarred Lands sux0r major balls.

;) :p

Terwox

First Post
EN World is by far one of the friendliest forums I've seen, although in the past year or two it's been less friendly than it used to be

Have you played World of Warcraft?

Here's a link to their general forum: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/board.aspx?fn=wow-general

There, that's a garbage forum full of vitrol and ridiculous wrath.

Eh, I have more to say but I don't know how to say it in a helpful way, so I'm leaving it alone.

ThirdWizard

First Post
*walks away... just... walks away* o_o;;

EDIT: I couldn't walk away. I know, I know, I have no willpower.

I have to say this. big dummy, you have come off as very dismissive toward those who disagree with your stance. If you are wondering why some have turned adversarial toward you, it is that dismissive attitude. People don't like it when they say something and are brushed off, especially in a context that is supposed to be conductive to discussion (a message board).

Personally, my experiences with the board have great. I can be somewhat abrasive at times, and I know this, but overall, there isn't any topic that can't be talked about in a civil mannar assuming people know how to word their posts.

For example, if I want to talk about changing D&D, it is probably best first of all to do so from the House Rule forums if its anything specific. Otherwise, you're probably better off not talking about D&D, but RPGs in general and what does what well. Don't be surprised if you talk about turning D&D into a space travel game where you are a trader and others tell you that Traveller is just what you're looking for.

And, remember, if you start a thread with a question showing that you have a viewpoint but you would like to hear other, equally valid, viewpoints as well for comparison, you'll get a lot less hostility than if you start a thread without first making sure others' thoughts on the subject (or taking into account that others might have very different oppinions).

Some subjects just must be broached more delecately than others. This is partially because regular posters have seen things come up again and again and know the drill. Certain posters even have longstanding debates with other certain posters that arise whenever a topic comes up. People can see an [insert topic here] post and jump immediately to where the last one left off!

You seem like someone who doesn't approach these things delecately (as you pointed out earlier). If you don't diplomatically approach what you know is a hot topic, though, then you can't really blame people for not being delecate in their opposition to your oppinions, though, can you?

Last edited:

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
big dummy said:
Why is it that any time any discussion about D&D comes up which could even remotely somehow be construed as some kind of criticism of D&D as-is, a select few of the forum regulars swoop down with such venomous, vicious spiteful attacks to shut it down?

I sometimes feel like that myself, but it is not limited to D&D, nor is it limited to RPGs. I see that a lot when it comes to discussions about Apple Computer and their Macintosh and iPod products. Very similar behaviour.

So I started thinking, "why does everyone have to be so rude to each other", and then WHAM! it hit me ...

... I'm drawn to controversial threads.

There are scores and scores of constructive threads here and on the internet in general. A lot of civil discussion, creative exchange of ideas and interest in the views of other people.

Boooooring. :D

So I'm drawn to the flame wars. I occasionally reply, fanning the flames or soothing hurt feelings. And of course, if all I read is flame wars on General, and not any of the fantastic story hours, or constrictive rules discussions in the rules section, or any of the threads on the other forums ... then my impression will always be that EN World is vicious. And the internet is spiteful and mean.

I get what I read, more or less. So I've decided to not read or reply to heated discussions, and instead to find the gems that makes me think "wow! I'm using this!".

/M

Hussar

Legend
big dummy said:
"Reform" was the most diplomatic term I could come up with.

I understand why people might be resistant for various reasons, but to rationalize a total prohibition on the very idea of reforming anything in the game seems rather amazing to me. The game IS going to evolve, shouldn't we at least be able to discuss how? (Or even, as I did, discuss some slightly less than mainstream ways of playing the game?)

To use your analogy, what I would see is that it would be like going into the baby ward in 1920 and discussing the possibility of a polio vaccine, or the possibility of using disposable instead of cloth diapers and having everyone shout you down!

BD

There, I quoted it a second time and even bolded the bit. BD, did you not state this? I believe that you did, unless someone is using your account. In this statement you are saying that your opinion is the equivalent of saving babies from horrible diseases (the possibility of a polio vaccine) and anyone who disagrees with you is "shouting you down".

I am not twisting words, nor am I taking things out of context. This is exactly what you are saying. Your opinons are equated with saving babies and anyone who disagrees with you is advocating letting babies die.

You can report me, and that is most certainly your right. However, I am not the only person here to point out the problems with your choice of words. Granted, others may be a fair bit more polite than I am. That's fine. But, when you toss around ad hominem attacks, why are you shocked that people so vocally oppose you?

The_Gneech

Explorer
big dummy said:
This post is an example of exactly the kind of thing which starts serious problems. You are inventing something I didn't say to give yourself grounds to attack.. I didn't advocate any specific changes, I was talking about the idea of "reform" period. Of any kind. The baby allegory was started by someone else, read the thread.

Dude. Seriously. The baby allegory was the kind of thing that was very clearly implied by your vaccines post. Being disingenuous about "who made the comment" will not get you off the hook.

-The Gneech :cool:

Aikuchi

Transient
It is, isnt it.

Must be my racial -2 Cha in my orc-blood. :(

My apologies (why doesn;t this have a devil face icon!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases