Dark Sun - 3.5 (Closed)

Lot

First Post
Hi,
This is the first PbP I've ever tried running, so bear with me. I want to run a Dark Sun campaign a few years before the revolt against King Kalak. This will most likely take place in the Tyr area but nothing is set in stone.

I'm thinking of maybe 5-6 characters max. Level 3. 36 point-buy. Max HP at 1st level. Average HP per level (On a 1d10: 2nd=5, 3rd=6, 4th=5, etc.) 2,700 Cp starting. Use the Dark Sun 3 rules from athas.org for character creation.

I'll be recruiting through the weekend. I'm undecided on the direction of the campaign and I'll be basing that on character backstory, so please be detailed. I also encourage potential players work together to make a coherent backstory. I'd prefer non-evil characters but if you can make a good case and a great story, I'll accept it. If you want to make a character prior to getting in, feel free but I know the pain of working on a detailed character only to get turned down, so feel free to hold off until I make a decision. I wouldn't be deciding characters by stat manipulation, just a strong story.

I hope to hear from people soon. I'm a little nervous about this but I think it could be fun.

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
Oh, I LOVE Darksun. I definately want in on this. Not sure what I want to do yet, I had been pondering a Spirit Shamen as my next concept, but that's not a Darksun thing. I'll review the Athas.org stuff and get back to you with a concept ASAP.

Edit: Probably something Psionic.

Bront

The man with the probe
Ok, either a Pterran Psionic Warrior, a half-elf psychic rogue (WOTC alternate class) if you allow it, Or a Human Keneticist.

I'll draw up a sheet and background for the Psionic Warrior unless you think you like one of the other ones.

Lot

First Post
Yeah, I should mention that. This is based on the 2nd Edition Dark Sun Setting. Complete familiarity with the setting isn't necessary, as I've just started dusting off some of this material just recently. The more you're familiar, however, the more fun you'll have with it.

Also, I don't own the Complete Psionic, so I'm not familiar with the material in it but I'm not opposed to using it either if you can show me what you want to use.

Bront, any of your choices sound good. I'm curious what other people will bring to the table.

Bront

The man with the probe
In that case, I may lean towards the Psionic Rogue (class listed at that link). All the Psionic stuff is in the SRD (www.d20srd.org), so you can grab it from there. We'll see. I'm only familiar with the very base stuff, so some of what they're talking about in the book doesn't make as much sense as it used to. They didn't have 2 of those races till later.

I am excited though. I loved the setting, just never got a chance to play in it beyond the Computer Games.

Bront

The man with the probe
[sblock=Darkclaw Myllik]
Code:
[B]Name:[/B] Darkclaw Myllik
[B]Class:[/B] Psychic Warrior 3
[B]Race:[/B] PTerran
[B]Size:[/B] Medium
[B]Gender:[/B] Male
[B]Alignment:[/B] LG

[B]Str:[/B] 18 +4 (16p.)    [B]Level:[/B] 3        [B]XP:[/B] 3000 / 6000
[B]Dex:[/B] 12 +1 (6p.)     [B]BAB:[/B] +2         [B]HP:[/B] 23 (3d8+6)
[B]Con:[/B] 14 +2 (6p.)     [B]Grapple:[/B] +6     [B]Dmg Red:[/B] -/-
[B]Int:[/B] 10 +0 (2p.)     [B]Speed:[/B] 30'      [B]Power Points:[/B] 7 / 7
[B]Wis:[/B] 16 +3 (6p.)     [B]Init:[/B] +1        [B]Manifester Level:[/B] 3
[B]Cha:[/B] 12 +1 (2p.)     [B]ACP:[/B] -0         [B]Save DC:[/B] +3

[B]Base  Armor Shld   Dex  Size   Nat  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Armor:[/B]              10    +4*    +0    +1    +0    +0    +0    15
[B]Touch:[/B] 11              [B]Flatfooted:[/B] 14
*Inertial Armor
                         [B]Base   Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Fort:[/B]                      3    +2    +3    +7
[B]Ref:[/B]                       1    +1    +1    +2
[B]Will:[/B]                      1    +3    +1    +4

[B]Weapon                  Attack   Damage     Critical[/B]
Thanak                    +7      2d6+6       20x3*
Longbow (100')            +4      1d8+4       20x3
Claws                    +6/6     1d3+4       20x2
Bite(Secondary)          +6(6)    1d4+2       20x2
*1 pt of Strength Damage on Crit
[B]Languages:[/B] PTerran, Common

[B]Abilities:[/B]
[u]Pterran Racial Abilities[/u]
- -2 Racial Penalty to Listen checks
- Natural Weaponry: Claws 1d3, Bite 1d4.
- Missive at will to other Pterrans
- Weapon Familiarity: Thanak
- Life Path: Path of the Mind
[u]Psionic Warrior Class Abilities[/u]
- Bonus Feat: Psionic Fist
- Bonus Feat: Psycrystal Affinity

[u][b]Psionic Powers[/b][/u]
[u]1st[/u]
[url=http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/prescienceoffensive.htm]Prescience, Offensive[/url]
[url=http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/inertialArmor.htm]Inertial Armor[/url]
[url=http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/forceScreen.htm]Force Screen[/url]

[B]Feats:[/B]
Multi-Attack
Psionic Fist
Psicrystal Affinity
Improved Multi-Attack

[B]Skill Points:[/B] 12       [B]Max Ranks:[/B] 6/3
[B]Skills                Ranks  Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
Autohypnosis		5    +3    +2    +10
Concentration		5    +2          +7
Listen			0    +3    -2    +1

[B]Equipment:                      Cost  Weight[/B]
MW Thanak			375	7
MW Thanak			375	7
MW Longbow +4 Str		700	3
40 Arrows			2	6
[url=http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#bootsofStomping]Stomping Boots[/url]			600	1
Guardian Sash (Resistance +1)	1000	1

Satchel				2	2
-Waterskins(5)			5	20
-Days Rations(5)		2.5	5
-50' silk Rope			10	5
[B]Total Weight:[/B]50lb      [B]Money:[/B] 3 cp 5 bit

[B]Lgt   Med   Hvy  Lift  Push[/B]
[B]Max Weight:[/B]               100   200   300   600   1500
[sblock=psicrystal]Earthson
Code:
PSICRYSTAL 	Diminutive Construct
[b]Hit Points:[/b]	12 ((3d8+6)/2)
[b]Initiative:[/b]	+2
[b]Speed:[/b]		30 ft. (6 squares), climb 20 ft.*
[b]Armor Class:[/b]	17 (+4 size, +2 Dex*, +1 Natural), touch 16, flatfooted 15
[b]BAB/Grapple:[/b]	+0/–17
[b]Attack:[/b]		—
[b]Full Attack:[/b]	—
[b]Space/Reach:[/b]	1 ft./0 ft.
[b]Qualities:[/b]	Construct traits, hardness 8, psicrystal granted abilities
[b]Saves:[/b]		Fort +5, Ref +2, Will +4
[b]Abilities:[/b]	Str 1*, Dex 15*, Con —, Int 7, Wis 10, Cha 10
[b]Skills:[/b]		Autohypnosis +5(5), Climb +10(0)*, Concentration +5(5), Listen +6(4), Move Silently +6(4), Hide +18(0), Search +2(4), Spot +6(4)
[b]Feats:[/b]		Alertness
*With self-propulsion ability activated.

Construct Traits:
A psicrystal has immunity to poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, necromancy effects, mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects), and any effect that requires a Fortitude save unless it also works on objects or is harmless. It is not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability damage, ability drain, fatigue, exhaustion, or energy drain. It cannot heal damage, but it can be repaired. Psicrystals do not have the usual construct traits of darkvision and low-light vision.
Psicrystal Granted Abilities:
- Speak: Common
- Alertness - Granted to Master if within arm's reach
- Improved Evasion - 1/2 or no damage on reflex save
- Personality - Hero (+2 Fortitude Save)
- Self-propulsion - Last 24 hours
- Share Powers
- Sighted - '40 radius
- Telepathic Link
- Deliver Touch Powers
Skills:
A psicrystal (with its self-propulsion ability activated) uses its Dexterity modifier instead of its Strength modifier on Climb checks. It has a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10, even if rushed or threatened. A psicrystal has the same skill ranks as its owner, except that it has a minimum of 4 ranks each in Spot, Listen, Move Silently, and Search. (Even if its owner has no ranks in these skills, a psicrystal has 4 ranks in each.) A psicrystal uses its own ability modifiers on skill checks.[/sblock]
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 100lb
Eyes: Green
Hair: Brown
Skin: Light
Appearance:

Personality:

Background:
Darkclaw Myllik was an eager youth of the Mind Wings tribe. Learning the Path of the Mind, Darkclaw opened himself up to his innate psionic powers. However, he was taken from his tribe as a youth, by a band of raiders, along with several tribal supplies and weapons. He was sold to the Verandas House, a house dealing mostly in gladiators and slaves in the city-state of Nibenay. He, along with Sunfin Illam, were selected to be gladiators, and Sunfin, a great warrior of his tribe, took Darkclaw under his wing and taught him some of the ways of Pterran combat.

Unfortunately, Sunfin soon met his demise, in a game rigged to make him a crowd enemy. Darkclaw was given Sunfin’s Thanak, and told to train, for he was now older and presentable as a warrior. Darkclaw thrived in the pits as a strong warrior, and gained respect and cheers of the crowd, despite his young age. While he worked well with Sunfin’s Thanak, the crowd preferred when he used his natural weapons, and soon the name “Darkclaw” was chanted whenever he emerged, him having earned a very small cult following.

Still, Darkclaw was young and not the best fighter. The kind hearted Torrance Gelding of House <Housename> saw this, and purchased him, as Verandas House was interested in selling before his act got old. Torrance explained to Darkclaw on the way to Tyr that while he would technically be a free person once they arrived in Tyr, he could provide a place to stay and training for him if he was willing to help work for the House. Darkclaw was grateful to be out of the pits, but knew little of the world beyond them, so he agreed.

Torrance had Darkclaw gave him food and a place to stay, as well as got him some proper training in what was now his blended warrior and psionic talents. Meanwhile he worked off his purchase price, at a (somewhat) fair wage as labor and guard for the merchant. While in training and working, he met a psion by the name of Erianna. It was odd watching another race walk so close to the Path of the Mind, and Darkclaw found he could relate to her more than many of the other students and members of the house. He earned a few honors in the house as well, and was granted a few items of value.

Having just finished working off his debt (and perhaps a bit more), Torrance told him that he would be willing to continue hiring him, but it was time he took care of himself. Torrance would pay Darkclaw a real wage, and Darkclaw would be free to decline and move on, for he had honored his end of the deal. Darkclaw is still new to the sands, and even newer to his freedom, and he decided that for now, staying with the merchant that he owes his freedom to would be the best thing for him.

Early on in this new journey, he met up with two more Pterrans, who have are hunting for a defiler. Now Darkclaw is torn between reminders of a life long past, and his new life in the sands. However, he can only do what any good Pterran would, and offer guidance and help to fellow Pterrans in a strange land.

Erianna, Human Psion(Shaper) (Rystil Arden) – A kindred spirit in the Path of the Mind in may ways, despite not being a Pterran. She is a good friend and has helped Darkclaw adjust to life in the sands. He finds himself often acting as a bodyguard for her, even when not asked to.

Quaketongue Ristu, Pterran Druid (Jkasson) – The first familiar voice of a Pterran, it was a good surprise on his first venture as a free being. He is even newer to the sands, and Darkclaw hopes he can offer himself as a guide.

Heartseer Jitock, Pterran Psion(Telepath) – Another Pterran, and follower of the Path of the Mind. Perhaps he and Erianna may get along.

Kurvik, Elf Templar/Bard (Steve Gorak) – Unsure what contact the two have had yet.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
I've run a game that was in Athas for one adventure before dragging the gladiator PC into Ravenloft and I am familiar with the original boxed set 2e Dark Sun setting but I have never been a player in a DS game before.

I would be interested in playing a psion for my first time, but I'll check out the athas stuff for 3e race and class differences.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases