The ripping of character sheets

doghead

thotd
I think the rending of character sheets could be used as a interesting symbolic gesture. As Wik said, it would tend to make the experience of character death more viseral. But I wouldn't do it without everyone agreeing.

Of course, it doesn't have to be the character sheet. You could make character portraits (doodles?) for the purpose.

I do like the idea of handing over the sheets of particularly troublesome adversaries to the players for them to rip up once they have dispatched them.

Personally, if I was in this situation and didn't want my character sheet ripped up, I would simply talk to the DM about it. If you can't find a workable solution, walk, or live with it. But its not worth getting into a fight over.

thotd

pogre

Legend
jmucchiello said:
Hate to Derail (But then the thread is over a week old)

Some of the responses in this thread make me want to make a poll but I don't think I have enough sample data to properly create the choices....

What does your character sheet look like? I don't me how is it arranged or what sort of information is in what boxes, I mean when I say "your character sheet", do you think of a) a specific piece of paper, b) the "current" print out, c) a file on a computer, or d) something else? I have used Word to create every character sheet I've made in the last 15 years or so and thus the computer file is the master copy and whatever printout I'm working with at the table, if you want to rip it up I'll just print another copy. No sweat. This practice of having the computer file being the master copy is fully integrated into my play group and thus I'd forgotten all about printing out blank forms and filling them in with pencil. That having such a penciled in copy means there is only one copy of the sheet.

So if you are still reading this thread, could you describe your character sheet. Is it a singular entity, a computer file or something else?

Mine is an excel sheet. It started out as a Hero Forge sheet, but has morphed a fair amount since then.

Heathen72

Explorer
doghead said:
I

Of course, it doesn't have to be the character sheet. You could make character portraits (doodles?) for the purpose

For sure! Even better, you could make a ritual out of it paint a portrait of everyone's character on a dinner plate, and when they die you can say "Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, Peregrine, you are dead to us!" and fling the plate in the fireplace!
Hang on, that's been done. :p

doghead said:
I do like the idea of handing over the sheets of particularly troublesome adversaries to the players for them to rip up once they have dispatched them.

Yeah, my players get a great deal of satisfaction when I tear up a BBEG's sheet, especially when I do so in disgust because they just kicked it's ass!!

TheAuldGrump

First Post
spunkrat said:
For sure! Even better, you could make a ritual out of it paint a portrait of everyone's character on a dinner plate, and when they die you can say "Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, Peregrine, you are dead to us!" and fling the plate in the fireplace!
Hang on, that's been done. :p

Yeah, my players get a great deal of satisfaction when I tear up a BBEG's sheet, especially when I do so in disgust because they just kicked it's ass!!

Marcie, get out of here. You're dead! You don't exist anymore.

The Auld Grump, now there's a piece of paper I wouldn't mind tearing up...

Or giving away as jokes. :p

The Auld Grump

merelycompetent

First Post
Galeros said:
Wow, I was just talking to one of the other players and the DM and I told them that if we ever had to deal with anyone else new, that we should tell them beforehand, and they said no, only the original group shuld know(that being the original five who began playing together). The guy who got his sheet ripped the other day did not know it was going to happen, and one of the other players told me had looked quite displeased when it happened, but said nothing, then said player was laughing over it. I am seriously considering finding some new friends. They have all sort of become jerks to other people lately. :\

Yup. Time to raise the standards when it comes to calling someone a "friend."

Remove ads