The ripping of character sheets

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
Okay, in the games that I am playing in the DM will rip up your character sheet if you die(we almost always make new PCs instead of being ressurected). Nobody seems to really care much about it, I actually dont think I have ever been a victim of this myself, though I did do it once when I DMed. But nobody seems to care really. How would you react to this? I realize that this would upset some people, especially those who liked their character a lot. If you were in a game where this happened, would you make a copy of your character sheet everytime you leveled and keep it in secret and snicker at the stupidity of your DM every time you take it out to look at it? :)

wedgeski

Adventurer
I keep the character sheets of dead or retired PC's for posterity. There's nothing quite like looking back on a character you played in your very first ever campaign twenty-five (gulp) years ago. I can imagine a nice little bit of drama in the Tearing Up of the Character Sheet, but if a DM ever tried that with me he'd get an earful of the Dude That's MY Character Sheet speech. :)

Sejs

First Post
I find the idea quite rude and disrespectful.

You do not rip up something that does not belong to you. That includes your player's character sheet.

Even beyond that, it seems a very hollow gesture. Pointless grandstanding. Sophmoric ego-stroking. Completely uncessary and rather juvenile.

Hussar

Legend
Since all our character sheets are stored online, it would be rather difficult. Ripping up the Internet is a tad beyond my DMing powers. I think I need a couple more levels before I can do that. :)

Aaron L

Hero
Sejs said:

You do not rip up something that does not belong to you. That includes your player's character sheet.

Even beyond that, it seems a very hollow gesture. Pointless grandstanding. Sophmoric ego-stroking. Completely uncessary and rather juvenile.

Ditto.

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
Sejs said:

Thats what I think too, yes I feel bad about doing it that one time. :(

But I play with a bunch of other teenagers, and they all dont seem to care, so there is not really much harm done I guess.

I would never do it again though, but I think I am more mature on some levels that most of the people I play with, well I hope I am. :)

cthulhu_duck

First Post
wedgeski said:
I keep the character sheets of dead or retired PC's for posterity.

Same here.

I don't think I've ever seen a GM tear up a character sheet. I've seen a playful cat shred most of one corner of a character sheet before, but that's about as close as it comes.

Baroness

First Post
I often draw on my character sheets and I would find it a bit rude and unnecessary to have it ripped in half. I suppose if that happened I would learn to draw on a blank sheet of paper instead though. :)

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
A former DM of mine had a shredder next to his chair for that very purpose. Otherwise, I've only seen players rip up their character sheet upon character death.

Li Shenron

Legend
Do the same to the DM's notes every time you kill a monster/npc, every time you beat a trap or riddle, solve the plot or just pass successfully through an area of the map. See if he finds it funny.

Remove ads