The ripping of character sheets

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Li Shenron said:
Do the same to the DM's notes every time you kill a monster/npc, every time you beat a trap or riddle, solve the plot or just pass successfully through an area of the map. See if he finds it funny.
Actually, as DM, I often do let the players rip up the (self-printed) counters of really tough monsters that they've just beaten. I wouldn't do this to a player, though - that really defines a "me vs them" attitude that I don't care for.

cmanos

First Post
I have my character sheet backed up on 3e Profiler as well as my own personal character spreadsheet. DM can rup up the character if he wants but he is destroying a potential NPC to be used in a future campaign.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
In normal campaign play, no, I'd not do this.

When playing a one-shot and the death is spectacular, sure. But in those cases, the characters are usually pregens, so the sheets don't really belong to the players.

Delta

First Post
They could get raised or wished back. Save it in a folder marked "deceased".

Although, I must say I like the signal that this communicates... don't get too attached to your character, don't spend a month on a convoluted backstory -- it's just a game and if the dice go wrong you'll lose any PC.

Menexenus

First Post
This question should be a poll topic. That way I could just click "ripping character sheets is offensive" without having to submit a "me too" reply. But here I go...

Me too! Ripping character sheets is offensive because a) I keep old beloved characters in a file, and b) the practice gives the impression that the DM is getting his jollies from killing off characters.

P.S. This is just another example of the following truism: "Just because Gary Gygax did something when he played D&D doesn't make it right."

Li Shenron

Legend
Now that I think about it... I think I would feel offended as a DM if one of my players himself ripped his own PC sheet apart after dying. It would seem to me like he's showing despise at me and the game like "did you want to see my PC dead? here it is!".

D.Shaffer

First Post
As a DM, I wouldnt do it. Players put a lot of time in these things and PCs can always be brought back somehow. A lot of times they'll have notes or reminders that would carry over to new PCs.

As a player...I have my character sheet on the PC. A new copy gets printed as needed and it gets updated after a game. I also have a 'Playing sheet' that's hand copied in pencil from the printed 'Master' that I use during play. All temp changes are done on this sheet and if it's a 'permanent' change gets updated on the computer copy. So...eh. Let em rip it. I have the printout as backup and can always make another. :cool:

Endur

First Post
I've been in games where the dead character's sheet was taken away or ripped by the DM.

I don't agree with this. It strikes me as a violation.

I think the player should keep the sheet.

Remove ads