Lodoss War...

Deedlit

First Post
I'm joining now(Under the name birdboy2000). Feel free to use anything I've posted wherever you like, as long as you don't pass it off as someone else's.

Roddles

First Post
Could I just point out a few critical errors that I think most of you are making.

The original Lodoss War RPG was founded off the original D&D (not AD&D or 3ed or 3.5ed). Now that said can anyone remember the classes/races back then? That is right - Fighter, Cleric, Thief, Wizard and one other (for Humans) and then there were Dwarves (pretty much just a fighter) and elves (who were basically a fighter/mage (though not as good a fighter or mage as a human would be singularly).

Going off this information (plus the Fuzion Conversion RPG) elves are actually fighter/mages and just, because of their affinity to nature, cast spells using different verbal components and gestures (possibly even material components). So even though their magic might seem like elemental magic, it isn't. It is more Druidic (under current core rules).

As for the movement of Elves, I think you will probably find that the creators of the RPG made a few stylised changes to make it different from D&D. Then again, has anyone thought about magical items? Now, I don't remember anyone gaining a magic item in the OAV (except Pahn with the Holy Sword of Valis), but that doesn't mean that Deedlit didn't have a Cloak and Boots of Elvenkind or a ring of blink, levitate, fly, or whatever. And the Dark Elf at the start of the OAV might have had similar items (but, because of being created by a different culture, might work the same but have different visual representations).

As for the CHA thing. They don't get one (Positive or Negative). Yes I understand the explanation be Deedlit about CHA and DEX going together, but if you look at your standard elf in the PHB of D&D, then you will see that Elves are graceful without a CHA mod. As everyone knows, Elves in Lodoss don't get out much, so the average person is going to be awed be the presence of one (as with Pahn and Deedlit's first meeting) but all that would be is a small mod to a skill for impressing people. Yes, Elves are haughty in Lodoss, but it still doesn't warrant a negative CHA. Again, check the PHB. Elves keep themselves distanced from the other races and tend to look down on them, but they still don't receive a Neg CHA.

If you are trying to get a quick conversion for High Elves and Dark Elves, then I suggest using the standard Elf stats for both. And for those that want to make Deedlit, make her a fighter/mage (or druid or ranger) with some magical items to compensate for what is known for her abilities that aren't covered by either spells or her other abilities.

Well that's it for my rant.

Suzaku

First Post
I see no reason why monk is restricted there it is still highly plausible that there is a monk order somewhere in Lodoss. Had Lodoss canceled just before Marr was introduced I bet Bard would be included in the restricted class section. There nothing to suggest Monk doesn’t exist and still fits in the flavor with the setting. It’s like saying to the players that because none of the pcs or established npcs was monks a new player couldn’t be Monk. I can clearly see a Myrii or Falis(sp?) temples having Monk orders more so for Myrii.

Destil

Explorer
Syunsuke said:
1.arcane
Almost identical to D&D arcane magic.
Arcane spell casters are called sorcerers in Lodoss RPG/SW(Sword World) RPG.
They are bookish type but cast spells spontaneously.
Both RPG use mana-point(mental point) magic system.
Most armours hinder arcane spell casting.

I think D&D sorcerer is OK.
But if we will build custom class, my ideas are;
They cast spells like sorcerer but depend on Int, not Cha.
Get less spells automatically when they level up(only one/Lv ?) but they can/have to learn new spells from spellbooks or teachers.
They can know more spells than core rule sorcerer.(But there should be limit.)
Their spellbook is a personal refference, training log or research notes.
They need daily practice or review to cast spell properly. This process need similler condition as wizard prepare their spells(quiet place and so on).
Syunsuke, are you familiar with Arcana Evolved? I think a system like that would fit best: they have a limited number of spells they can prepair at a time, but can cast any of them and can sit down to study their books to switch avilable spells. Would work fine with an MP system for spells / day instead of slots.

I.E.: A sorcerer's key ability score is Int. They automatically get 1 spell per level to add to their books (and begin with all cantrips and 2 1st level spells + 1 per point of Int bonus). They may 'ready' a number of spells at any given time equal to the PHB sorcerer's spells known chart (plus bonus spells from Int), but can cast any combination of these spells based on their MP cost. Adding a new spell to their books works just like a PHB wizard.

4.common
I think thin sound strange.
Common Magic is Magic cast in common language .
They are very weak magic, but usable by knight class in Lodoss RPG and everyone in SW RPG, if learnd.

Skill based magic, mostly cantrips? Give each spell a DC, it takes a few days of study and a Common Magic skill check to learn a common magic spell. After

The Blue Elf

First Post
Roddles said:
Could I just point out a few critical errors that I think most of you are making.

The original Lodoss War RPG was founded off the original D&D (not AD&D or 3ed or 3.5ed). Now that said can anyone remember the classes/races back then? That is right - Fighter, Cleric, Thief, Wizard and one other (for Humans) and then there were Dwarves (pretty much just a fighter) and elves (who were basically a fighter/mage (though not as good a fighter or mage as a human would be singularly).

Going off this information (plus the Fuzion Conversion RPG) elves are actually fighter/mages and just, because of their affinity to nature, cast spells using different verbal components and gestures (possibly even material components). So even though their magic might seem like elemental magic, it isn't. It is more Druidic (under current core rules).

As for the movement of Elves, I think you will probably find that the creators of the RPG made a few stylised changes to make it different from D&D. Then again, has anyone thought about magical items? Now, I don't remember anyone gaining a magic item in the OAV (except Pahn with the Holy Sword of Valis), but that doesn't mean that Deedlit didn't have a Cloak and Boots of Elvenkind or a ring of blink, levitate, fly, or whatever. And the Dark Elf at the start of the OAV might have had similar items (but, because of being created by a different culture, might work the same but have different visual representations)..

Well Considering In the Manga and TV series there are Bards,Barbarians,Rogues,Assassins,Rangers,Fighters, Sorcerers, Wizards,Clerics. ( but No Monks)

Remove ads