Knight/Paladin characters

On the surface, the two classes go together very well - they benefit from the same stats, complement each other's saving throws, fight with the same weapons, and don't give up any BAB. And both get to be snooty towards the party rogue :) So, barring the silly no-multiclassing paladin rules (which our group ignores), they seem like a perfect match.

My one concern is that at higher levels, the multiclassing is going to hurt since virtually every ability of the two classes depends on your class level (smite evil, lay on hands, paladin's mount, Test of Mettle, Vigillent Defender, etc). I want a fairly even split of the two classes, not just a quick dip in one or the other. Are my fears overblown?

Also, are there any feats available like Practised Spellcaster or Ascetic Knight that would be suitable, particularly for my mount? I want my horse to live!

Andras

Explorer
Not exactly what you're looking for, sorry, but I like this combo
Knight 5, Pal 5, Fist of Raziel 10

It's epic ready @ 20. I'd take the Charging Smite varient over a mount myself. Follow a charge-smite with Momentum Swing and Divine Might the next round.

Human
Power attack
W Focus
Impr Sunder
Divine Might
Defensive Sweep
Servant of the Heavens
Combat Reflexes
Combat Brute

Plus Kn5 Bonus feat

Last edited:

smootrk

First Post
I agree that the Paladin/Knight is a very good combo. I have found that playing a Paladin exclusively to about 10th level is OK, after that what do you really get?... a few more lay hands points, a couple of spells because the progression is so weak, an extra couple of smites (and increased smite damage).

The knight compliments well, as you have already stated. It really just depends on how much of the abilities of either class you cannot stand to lose. If it were me, I would progress them equally, or possibly a ratio of 2 Paladin levels to 3 Knight levels (2:3). To compensate for the Paladin's Mount, I would take Leadership Feat somewhere in there and use the Cohort Mount rules to beef up the mount that way.

FireLance

Legend
My DM doesn't use Book of Exalted Deeds, so my character will eventually be a Human Knight 15/Paladin 5 if the game goes on long enough.

The current plan is to start with Knight for the extra hp, take 5 levels of Paladin with the Charging Smite option instead of a mount, then go Knight the rest of the way.

Planned feats are:
[HB] Intimidating Strike
[L1] Shield Specialization
[L3] Shield Ward
[L6] Divine Justice (to get some use out of Turn Undead)
[L9] Combat Stance
[L12] Combat Vigor
[L15] Defensive Sweep
[L18] Combat Stability

Remove ads