Doctor Who 28x10 - Love & Monsters

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Gah. That was one weird episode, and I didn't care for it at all. I appreciate the attempt to play around with the formula, and feel it could have been quite a good "how The Doctor is perceived from the POV of observers" type affair, but that's not the direction they took with it.

However, for the first time ever, Jackie didn't irritate me. She worked in this episode.

Peter Kay's monster was just daft. Half a Vogon and half Fat Bastard in appearance.

Apparently we're leading up to something major and "very sci-fi" for the last couple of episodes, according to Russell T Davies. We know it's Cybermen again, and we know the episodes are called "Army of Ghosts" and "Doomsday". Next week's episode is called "Fear Her" (Tardisode here). Not sure from the Tardisode if it's meant to be another light, humourous one, or a horror one. After that I guess it's the big sci-fi Cyberman-fest that's coming up.

Also interesting, in light of the recent news that Billie Piper is leaving at the end of this series, are some rumours on potential new companion actresses (here):

"Former Crossroads stunner Freema Agyeman [1st pic below] was last night revealed to be the front-runner to replace Billie Piper in Doctor Who. Freema, 26, will appear in the final two episodes of the BBC1 sci-fi's current series playing the character Adeola. She joins the Timelord — played by David Tennant — and his sidekick Rose Tyler in battle against the dreaded Cybermen. Insiders say Freema, will join the Doctor in the Tardis full-time in the third series after her appearance in the episodes called Army Of Ghosts and Doomsday. ...

...Last night a BBC spokeswoman refused to confirm Freema was taking over from Billie as Dr Who's sidekick. Other names linked to the role include former EastEnder Michelle Ryan (Zoe Slater) [2nd pic below]. She is believed to have auditioned with show bosses for the part....

.... The Daily Express has the next rumour - the paper reports that Nikki Sanderson [3rd pic below], who has appeared in Coronation Street, is in the running for the part.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

Staffan

Legend
I thought the episode was interesting as a bit of light filler, which was kinda needed after the very heavy Satan-in-space episodes. I wouldn't like a whole season of "Love and Monsters", but as a diversion it worked allright.

Volaran

First Post
I think it worked quite well as a one-off. We don't often get to see the Whoniverse from the perspective of anyone outside of the Doctor and his Companions...the only other instances I can think of are the K-9 spinoff, and a one shot Dalek episode in the First Doctor era in which none of the main cast appeared.

With only 13 episodes per series, I can see how certain fans might be a bit ticked at an episode like this. I assume with Torchwood coming up, they won't be doing this often. All things in moderation.

Shag

Explorer
Guy from Band of brothers, Blythe and the potty ghost from potter. Ha!

And the monster was so Fat Bastard, definetly think it missed 'camp' a bit and drifted into silly.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
I rather enjoyed it, myself. I liked Elton's character, and wouldn't mind seeing him again, although I think the way the episode ended sort of put paid to that idea (and would sort of ruin the ending a bit). Sad to see all the other members of LINDA disappear like that.

The Abzorbaloff was way too "Fat Bastard"-ish. Although, despite having heard there was such a creature in this episode previously, I'd quite forgotten, and was half-expecting to see Victor Kennedy turn out to be another Slitheen. I liked the little nod to those season one foes in the exchange between he and the Doctor, though.

Wonder where Rose was when the Doctor came back to try and save Elton and his mom from the Living Shadow?

In any event, I did enjoy it as a one-off episode. They seem to be getting pretty heavy handed with the doomsday scenario predictions- first the Beast's comment last episode about Rose being destined to fall in battle (or something) and then Elton's comment about when will the "curse of the Doctor" come back to affect Rose and Jackie. I'm not having terribly high expectations of Rose surviving the end of the season, in light of those and especially in light of her not returning next season.

Also- was it just me, or was Jackie Tyler actually kind of hot in that seduction scene with Elton?

Staffan

Legend
One thing that occured to me at work today... Ursula mentioned that she'd "never age."

Do we know anyone who is supposed to be immensely old, and just a disembodied face? She didn't say she'd never change...

Huw

First Post
That was a bizarre episode. That was season 3 Farscape bizarre. I didn't like it, but I appreciate what the makers were trying to do - and we did need something light after The Satan Pit (or lighter - the death toll was still pretty high!)

Staffan said:
One thing that occured to me at work today... Ursula mentioned that she'd "never age."

Do we know anyone who is supposed to be immensely old, and just a disembodied face? She didn't say she'd never change...

Isn't the Face of Boe from the Vortis system (or wherever - but not Earth)? On the other hand, The Long Game mentioned that the face was pregnant, so it is either female or hermaphrodite. Nice idea.

sniffles

First Post
That was definitely an odd episode, but I liked it. I thought RTD did a great job of making all the characters sympathetic and real; they felt like people I might know. I felt really saddened by their fates. I thought Ursula's resolution was rather horrible, though - not in a sense that it was badly done, but I certainly wouldn't want that fate for myself or someone I loved!

It was interesting to see how the Doctor's actions can affect people who don't even know him. I was a bit disappointed that the website Elton found wasn't Mickey's site.
Still, I think they're doing a great job of addressing how real-world situations would affect the Doctor - with the accessiblity of the Internet he can't remain as anonymous as he used to, but he also has a new tool for fighting the bad guys. :)

I also enjoy seeing the show address what happens to those left behind with their observations on Jackie - in the past the series tended to ignore those sorts of family connections. It's nice to see the Doctor and his companion not functioning in a vacuum as far as relationships are concerned.

According to the Confidential next week's episode should be pretty scary. They're definitely ramping up the tension for something nasty to close the season. It was interesting learning that part of the reason for the Doctor and Rose's absence from most of the episode was because they were off filming 'Impossible Planet/Satan Pit' at the same time. This season has 14 episodes rather than 13, but they weren't allowed any extra time in which to film it.

Oh, and BTW - you do know the Absorbaloff was designed by a 9-year-old boy, don't you? He won a Blue Peter contest to design a Doctor Who monster. So cut him some slack. :p

Last edited:

Remove ads