Why does Mars always rebel?

Crothian

First Post
I'm reading through another d20 Future setting and like many from movies, books, and gaming Mars rebels. I'm curious as to why it seems no matter the material, Mars is rebeling. Is this just such a cliche that everyone does it or what?

BlackMoria

First Post
It is the nature of colonalism cycle. The majority of colonial holding on earth have sought their independence and were other granted their independence or had to fight for it.

Mars would start as a colony or colonies of some power(s) and the colonial cycle would start all over again.

Overused, I would agree - but expected given our past history.

Ozmar

First Post
Mars didn't rebel in Futurama. Of course, its half-owned by the Wong family, so maybe that had something to do with it...

Mercule

Adventurer
The god of war is always looking for a reason to fight?

Actually, it makes some sense. It's far enough away to be able to ignore the Earth, to an extent, but not so far away that it can exist in a glass bubble -- so the rebellion is viable, while still being meaningful.

Plus, it's likely to be the first colonial child of Earth. Most eldest, from Lucifer to the USA, seem to revolt and assert their independance. It ain't just Mars that makes it cliche.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
I think it just makes a lot of sense. If Mars were to be colonized, it would initially be controlled by some government or corporate entity upon which it would be dependent for resources. It must have value to offer the controlling entity on Earth or else why support it? Eventually it become a little less dependent, and starts wondering why people millions of miles away would be in charge of them, telling them what to do.

...and the fact that its named after the God of War, means anyone on it must eventually fight.

lukelightning

First Post
An alternative to this could be a situation in which the ruling government or ruling class of Earth moves to the Mars colony to rule Earth from afar (since Earth is overcrowded/polluted/etc.), and Earth rebels against Mars.

GMSkarka

Explorer
A combination of the Colony -----> Revolution thing.....and Mars = Red, Red = Revolutionary.

Off to sing "The Internationale...."

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
lukelightning said:
An alternative to this could be a situation in which the ruling government or ruling class of Earth moves to the Mars colony to rule Earth from afar (since Earth is overcrowded/polluted/etc.), and Earth rebels against Mars.

That's not too far off from the setting of TSR's old Buck Rogers XXVc game.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases