Dungeon Crawl Classics #29: The Adventure Begins

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Anyone picked this up yet? I find the logic (more games are played at low level than at high) to be pretty accurate in my case, and quite a few of the included adventures sound pretty great.

http://goodmangames.com/5028preview.php

Anyone got this? How long are the adventures compared to other DCCs? Are they about the length of the Dragonfiend Pact or are they shorter?

One thing I like is that the various adventures appear to cover a wide variety of environments. I can see scaling this up when my Praemal campaign goes on the road. A sinking city here, a submerged tower there, a drought-striken area over there, etc.

Crothian

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Anyone got this? How long are the adventures compared to other DCCs? Are they about the length of the Dragonfiend Pact or are they shorter?

I haven't seen this but looking at page count and how many adventures are in it they average smaller then the Dragonfiend pact (13pgs verse 16pgs).

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Ooooh, a bright green hardback. Don't see many of those.

As there is an appendix containing 21 monsters, I would guess that it's more like 12 pages per adventure...

Anyway, some of the authors are ones I consider to be imaginative and good writers: Bret Boyd (aka Napftor), Jason Little, George Strayton I believe used to do some stuff for WEG and was pretty good. As long as it's not fiction, Harley Stroh is pretty good. Michael Tresca has done a lot of nice freebies, though the one real book of his I have had some stat problems

Last edited:

Napftor

Explorer
The adventure I wrote for this clocked in at around 8,800 words. Whether that number stayed the same (or is even similar to the other adventures), only the editors know for sure.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Napftor said:
The adventure I wrote for this clocked in at around 8,800 words. Whether that number stayed the same (or is even similar to the other adventures), only the editors know for sure.
Without spoilers, can you say whether successful heroes in your adventure gain a treasure larger than the suggested DMG guidelines for a character of level 2? Or is that what the treasure pegged off of? Or is it all a fiendish trick by the "retiring hero?"

Napftor

Explorer
To be honest, it's been so long since I wrote the thing that I don't remember. I'm usually a stickler for keeping with the DMG treasure rules though, if that tells you anything. :)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Napftor said:
To be honest, it's been so long since I wrote the thing that I don't remember. I'm usually a stickler for keeping with the DMG treasure rules though, if that tells you anything. :)
Coolness. It's a neat reason for a (presumably) old school dungeon crawl.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases