Pearl of Power?

How many characters can use a single Pearl of Power?

IMHO, it seems that only one character could use one Pearl only once per day. But there I go again trying to figure out what the founding fathers intended.:D

mikebr99

Explorer
SRD:
Pearl of Power
This seemingly normal pearl of average size and luster is a potent aid to all spellcasters who prepare spells (clerics, druids,
rangers, paladins, and wizards). Once per day on command, a pearl of power enables the possessor to recall any one spell that
she had prepared and then cast. The spell is then prepared again, just as if it hadn’t been cast. The spell must be of a particular
level, depending on the pearl. Different pearls exist for recalling one spell per day of each level from 1st through 9th and for
the recall of two spells per day (each of a different level, up to 6th).
Caster Level: 17th; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, creator must be able to cast spells of the spell level to be recalled;
Market Price: 1,000 gp (1st), 4,000 gp (2nd), 9,000 gp (3rd), 16,000 gp (4th), 25,000 gp (5th), 36,000 gp (6th), 49,000 gp (7th),
64,000 gp (8th), 81,000 gp (9th), or 70,000 gp (two spells); Weight: -.

Can be used once per day (sometimes twice)... I'm thinking the owner would keep this thing all to himself though.

kreynolds

First Post
Corwin the Confused said:
How many characters can use a single Pearl of Power?

I guess the whole party could share it if one person chewed it up. Next, picture momma bird feeding baby birds.

laiyna

First Post
The big question now is, if one person has 2 pearls of power...... Or even worse a necklace of pearls of power (level 1). Guess how many magic missiles that are each day for a level 9 caster.

Lai

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Our DM pointed out something that makes PoPs not quite so awesome: activating the PoP returns the spell to your "uncast" spell list. This activation takes a standard action. Casting the spell takes (usually) another standard action.

So it's pretty great if you want to use it in between battles: you just activate it to return Magic Missile to your active list. But in the middle of a battle, it takes two actions to get off a PoP-powered spell.

Daniel

Dr. Zoom

First Post
No need to figure out the intention. It plainly says it functions once per day on command. So you could give it to another spellcaster to use, but it will not work for him until the next day.

Sigma

First Post
laiyna said:
The big question now is, if one person has 2 pearls of power...... Or even worse a necklace of pearls of power (level 1). Guess how many magic missiles that are each day for a level 9 caster.

Lai

Almost as many as a sorcerer has w/o a necklace. ;)

Celebrim

Legend
I think I'd want to rule that the character could only be the benificiary of one PoP of each type per day.

PoP 1st level is only 1,000 g.p., so a string of these isn't even unlikely in the average campaign.

Hammerhead

Explorer
For incredible amounts of magic missiles, Extend some Rary's Enhancers the day before entering the dungeon. I thought the spell was weak until the wizard in our group started packing 10 extra magic missiles. Once he had 27 first level spells, IIRC, with no pearls of power or rings of wizardry.

Like the wand of cure light wounds, the pearl of power is excellent for regaining spells between battles, but is a bit too slow for use in a fight.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases