The Game of Kings OOC

James Heard

Explorer
I actually knocked out two alternate versions of my character. The first one is an elvish Wizard version (that's probably the truest to my initial concept) and the second is a dedicated human fighter (which will probably require the most altering of the flow of the character history because he's in no means a pushover in combat whatsoever)

Name: Dragen (probably will get changed because this one's an elf)
Class: Wizard 4
Race: Elf, Karrnath
Hit Dice: 4d4 +4, 17 HP
Initiative: +4
Speed: 30 ft
Armor Class: 14, touch 14, flatfooted 10 (10 +4 dex)
Base Attack Bonus: +2
Grapple: +1
Attacks: +2 (1d8-1, Longsword, MW); +8 (1d8, +1 Longbow)
Face/Reach: 5x5/5ft
Special Qualities: Immunity: Sleep Effects (Ex), Low-light Vision (Ex), +2 Saves vs. Enchantment Spells and Effects
Special Attacks: None
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +4
Abilities: Strength 8, Dexterity 18, Constitution 12, Intelligence 18, Wisdom 10, Charisma 10
Skills: Concentration +8 (7 ranks), Heal +4 (2 ranks), Knowledge (Arcana) +11 (7 ranks), Knowledge (History) +11 (7 ranks), Listen +3 (1 rank), Search +2, Spellcraft +13 (7 ranks), Spot +4 (2 ranks), Survival +2 (2 ranks)
Feats: Point Blank Shot, Scribe Scroll, Weapon Focus (Longbow)
Action Points: 7
Languages: Common, Elven, Draconic, Goblin, Orc
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Deity:
Weight: 95 lbs

Spells Known (Wiz 4/4/3): 0 -- Acid Splash, Arcane Mark, Dancing Lights, Daze, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Disrupt Undead, Flare, Ghost Sound, Light, Mage Hand, Mending, Message, No Light, Open/Close, Preserve Organ, Prestidigitation, Ray of Frost, Read Magic, Repair Minor Damage, Repair Minor Damage, Resistance, Slash Tongue, Touch of Fatigue, Unnerving Gaze; 1st -- Disguise Self, Expeditious Retreat, Guided Shot, Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Ray of Enfeeblement, Sleep, True Strike; 2nd -- Cat`s Grace, Melf`s Acid Arrow, Mirror Image, Protection from Arrows.

Spells Memorized (Wiz 4/4/3): 0 - Mage Hand, Mending, Message, Touch of Fatigue; 1st - Guided Shot, Mage Armor, Ray of Enfeeblement, True Strike; 2nd - Cat`s Grace, Mirror Image, Protection from Arrows.

Inventory:
Longsword, Masterwork (315 gp)
+1 Longbow (2,375 gp)
Quiver of Ehlonna (1,800 gp)
Arrows (50), Masterwork (350 gp)
Healer`s kit, Masterwork (100 gp)
Signet ring (5 gp)
Everburning Torch (2) (220 gp)
Spellbook, wizard`s (15 gp)
Horse, light (75 gp)
Bit and bridle (2 gp)
Saddle, military (20 gp)
Saddlebags (4 gp)
Potion: Cure Light Wounds (CL1) (50 gp)
Coin: gp (83) (83 gp); Coin: sp (10) (10 sp)

Familiar
Unnamed Yet, Rat, Male Animal, Rat : CR 1/8; Tiny Animal ; HD 4d8 ( Animal) ; hp 6; Init + 2; Spd 15, Climb 15; AC 16; Atk + 0 base melee, + 6 base ranged; +6 ( 1d3-4, Bite ); SQ: Scent (Ex), Low-light Vision (Ex); AL N; SV Fort + 2, Ref + 4, Will + 5; STR 2, DEX 15, CON 10, INT 7, WIS 12, CHA 2.
Skills: Balance +10, Climb +12, Concentration +7, Heal +5.5, Hide +14, Listen +2, Move Silently +10, Search +6, Spot +4, Survival +2, Swim +10.
Feats: Weapon Finesse.

Background etc: Slightly modified, but basically the same as before

and the fighter:

Name: Dragen Kessler
Class: Fighter 4
Race: Human
Hit Dice: 4d10+8, 41 HP
Initiative: +4
Speed: 20 ft
Armor Class: 19 (10 +8 armor +1 dex)
Base Attack Bonus: +4
Grapple: +5
Attacks: +6 (2d6+1 Greatsword, MW); +10 (1d8+2, Longbow, MW)
Full Attack: Longsword +6 (1d8+3, 19-20 x2)
Face/Reach: 5x5/5ft
Special Qualities: Human Traits
Special Attacks: None
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +1
Abilities: Strength 12, Dexterity 18, Constitution 15, Intelligence 14, Wisdom 10, Charisma 10
Skills: Handle Animal +1 (1 rank), Heal +1 (1 rank), Intimidate +7 (7 ranks), Ride +11 (7 ranks), Search +5 (3 ranks), Spot +3 (3 ranks) , Survival +3 (3 ranks)
Feats: Armor Proficiency: heavy, Armor Proficiency: light, Armor Proficiency: medium, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Sharp-Shooting, Shield Proficiency, Simple Weapon Proficiency, Tower Shield Proficiency, Weapon Focus (Longbow), Weapon Specialization (Longbow)
Action Points: 7
Languages: Common, Dwarven
Alignment: Neutral Good
Deity:
Height: 5'5
Weight: 145 lbs

Inventory:
1 sp 3 cp 13 gp
Longbow, Masterwork (375 gp)
Arrows (50), Masterwork (350 gp)
Greatsword, Masterwork (350 gp)
Full plate, Masterwork (1,650 gp)
Bit and bridle (2 gp)
Horse, light (75 gp)
Saddle, pack (5 gp)
Saddlebags (4 gp)
Backpack (2 gp)
Bedroll (1 sp)
Blanket, winter (5 sp)
Caltrops (1 gp)
Candle (2) (2 cp)
Flint and steel (1 gp)
Lantern, hooded (7 gp);
Mug, clay (2 cp)
Pouch, belt (1 gp)
Rope, hemp (50 ft.) (1 gp)
Signet ring (5 gp)
Signal whistle (2) (16 sp)
Sewing needle (5 sp)
Tent (10 gp)
Waterskin (full) (1 gp)
Whetstone (2 cp)
Oil (pint) (6) (6 sp)
Rations, trail (per day) (7) (35 sp)
Courtier`s outfit (30 gp)
Explorer`s outfit (10 gp)
Ring of Sustenance (2,500 gp)

Anyways, between the 3 versions I'm most inclined toward the Wizard, second the Cleric, but that doesn't mean I dislike the Fighter version - I just don't play fighters very often :D

MadMaxim

First Post
Ringmereth said:
MadMaxim: I like what you've come up with so far, but your description and goals for Partash seem a little bit vague and general. You might also like to work on identifying how his role differs from Dragen's.
I was trying not to make it too specific to make it possible for you to have some possible plot hooks. I could describe whatever killed Partash' parents in more detail if that's what you're looking for. I kept his goals relatively vague on purpose to make him fit in more easily, but if you want me to go into more detail, I can do that. I'm just trying to figure out what else is needed.

As for Partash' role in the party, I figured he'd be the primary walking medi-kit and a secondary melee combatant. I'm aiming for a Lawful Neutral fellow with ranks in all the Knowledge skills that Clerics have access to and he'll be taking the Meditation and Protection domains.

Bobitron

Explorer
Ringmereth said:
Meanwhile, I think Glasia's concept could be maintained while switching her level of cleric for one of wizard. From what you state in her history, being actual cleric was never a significant part of her life, while studying wizardry was, and her background with the Silver Flame could be reflected in her skills and feats (maxing out Knowledge (religion) and taking Arcane Disciple, True Believer, or Consecrate Spell from Complete Divine, or Ecclesiarch from ECS). Note that I'm not pushing for a nuker hellbent on revenge; staying focused on utility spells with some basic offense and defense magic and serving as a generalist mage will work just fine.

Sounds good to me! I'll take a look at those feats you mentioned and get things sorted out.

Ringmereth

First Post
Announcement:

This morning I awoke to find my PC in critical condition--I can't even get it started up. If anyone knows what to do when the machine can't figure out "WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\agp44.sys" your advice would be greatly appreciated. I thought it might be an error with my video card, but pulling it out and switching to my onboard graphics processor didn't do a thing for it.

At any rate, I don't have access some important files for the game, and my internet access is limited to what time I can sneak in on my dad's work PC. I'm not sure how this is going to affect our scheduling, but Jackalope and I will try to figure something out as soon as possible, and I'll keep my eyes peeled for tech help.

Thanks in advance for your patience (and hopefully assistance).

- - - - - - - - - -

stonegod: the group could function without the inquisitive elements, but if you'd like to make use of them, we can certainly make room for that in the game. This comes down more to a matter of your preference than what we need to make the campaign work.

mcnathan80: you've got a good start on Pem's backstory. The first thing you should do to expand it is decide on a gender for Pem--changelings do have one, even if they shapeshift into a member of the opposite sex, and on top of that, using "him/her" instead of one pronoun distracts from your writing. Secondly, I'd like to see his role defined, as well as some expansion in his background--for example, writing about what he seems to be running from.

James: if you'd like to write out what you'd do with Dragen's biography were you to run him as a wizard or fighter, I'd consider those options as well. I do like the cleric/archer role, though.

MadMaxim: I understand how you're trying to make room for plot hooks and such, and I appreciate it. The result, however, just comes off as a bit bland. He's kind, he's caring, he's humble, he's courageous, he's wise. He doesn't seem to have any particular problems or struggles, and inserting something to contrast those positive attributes could make Partash much more interesting. For example, you mentioned his parents being killed--what if their deaths appear to have been caused by someone unnassociated with the Dreaming Dark, causing him to doubt who he should be crusading against? Adding something like this would make Partash a much more compelling character.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Ringmereth said:
This morning I awoke to find my PC in critical condition--I can't even get it started up. If anyone knows what to do when the machine can't figure out "WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\agp44.sys" your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your patience (and hopefully assistance).
Could be a disk issue (then see and follow the steps here) or USB issue if you started using a new USB device (then see and follow the steps here). I'd suspect the disk issue first, but I'm not a certificed MCSE. ;)
Ringmereth said:
stonegod: the group could function without the inquisitive elements, but if you'd like to make use of them, we can certainly make room for that in the game. This comes down more to a matter of your preference than what we need to make the campaign work.
Noted. As I said, the negotiator aspects are more important than the inqusitive, so I may change that around. I'll let you know.

Hopefully the suggestions help.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
I have tweaked Vhir once again, removing the inquisitive aspects while keeping the negotiator/manipulator aspects. This fits more in line w/ his background; his new skill (Concentration) and Feats (Sudden Still, Force of Personality) reflect his strong personality and desire not to be captured again. I spelt this out in the "Ability Justification" block I put on his sheet.

Bront

The man with the probe
Are we starting at 4th level? Or will we have a little extra XP for crafting purposes (or are you handeling crafting initial items slightly differently?

Ringmereth

First Post
Bront: We're starting at 4th with no spare XP. However, you may assume that Carver expended his item creation pool at each previous level and use that to craft initial items.

stonegod: the changes are fine. Also, I like your 'Ability Justification' section--it's a good idea.

Also, thanks for the links on the disk issue, but that's not my error message. I'm hunting for other options... right now I'm considering pulling out my hard drive and putting it in another PC so I can either repair the driver files or pull all my important files off and reformat. We'll see.

Remove ads