Transcendence Now - Issue #1

Shalimar

First Post
Makenzie chews thoughtfully on her peanut butter and Jelly sandwhich, while Felicia and Lukas talk, but she came to the realization that it didn't really matter if there was some conspiracy or not, whether they were just random guinea pigs, or chosen specifically because of some x-factor that the process would need. What mattered was that they were chosen, and that because of the program, she could walk again, that she could heal peoples' wounds. She wasn't quite sure how to handle that since she did want to help people, but she knew she couldn't help everyone, in fact she probably couldn't even help a tenth of a percent of the people in the world that needed healing. She knew she didn't really have the right to chose who would live and die, it was a major problem.

"It doesn't matter if there is a conspiracy...the fact is that we do have these powers, and very soon we will be able to do what we like with them. I just don't really know what to do with mine. I have something I need to set right, but after that...I mean how do I decide who to heal? Who deserves it most? I can't heal everyone. Do I charge for it? So many questions because of this program, but I guess its worth it."

Festy_Dog

First Post
Sollir Furryfoot said:
"It makes sense that we can't use our powers on each other. Think about it, we're already not allowed to use our powers blatantly outside of their tests. For those of us with more offensive powers like yourself," Felicia notes, referencing Lukas, "There's much less incentive given to use them during this time if you couldn't affect anything with them. They probably didn't want us hurting each other, disrupting the tests...but when I say it all out loud like that it comes off as if I'm a tin-hat, conspiracy theorist." Felicia finishes, laughing to herslf a bit, "God I can't wait to get on the outside."

"With everyone at the table possessing Transcendent abilities I don't think you need to worry about sounding tin-hat, Felicia," Lukas said, "I'd wager these powers are reason enough to rethink many previous assumptions about the world. If that means you briefly throw on the tin-foil, metaphorically, then at least you have good reason."

Shalimar said:
"It doesn't matter if there is a conspiracy...the fact is that we do have these powers, and very soon we will be able to do what we like with them. I just don't really know what to do with mine. I have something I need to set right, but after that...I mean how do I decide who to heal? Who deserves it most? I can't heal everyone. Do I charge for it? So many questions because of this program, but I guess its worth it."

Lukas smiled and rubbed his chin in thought.

"If roughly identical groups were equally aware of both our capabilities Makenzie, I wonder which of us would receive more job offers, and which of us would be offered the largest sum for equivalent services. A study in the nature of humanity," Lukas pondered, letting loose the academic within.

Shalimar

First Post
"You mean if the two of us went around and gave people the choice of using your powers to hurt or kill people and using mine to heal? You think more people want other people to be hurt then would want someone cured?" the seventeen year old asks curiously. "The other thing is why would people believe I can cure people? I mean they'd think I was crazy or something...and if they didn't, and I did start healing people I'd get swamped by everyone wanting healing, either for them or someone else... its overwhelming if you think about it."

"I know how much it sucks to be hurt and not be able to do anything about it, I don't want to have to say no to everyone, but I know that even healing 1 or 2 people could tire me out so much that I'd pass out."
the girl says, sighing. "I wish I knew what to do...the other thing is that I'm only 17 so not everyone will take me seriously."

Joe Vaughn:

"I'm not sure, to be honest..." Miranda replied, a pensive expression falling on her face, "This place really isn't all that different from the mental institution I was in before...I think they mentioned I was there for five years? I'd like to see my brother and my niece, but after that, I really don't know...I'd like to try teaching again, but I'm not sure if they'd accept me back." As usual, she was somewhat slow to speak and gave off an air of an absent-minded old lady, but at the very least she was exponentially more sane than she was when she entered the program.

"How about yourself, Joseph?"

Dr. Emerson Walden:

The door opens in front of Dr. Walden after a metallic twang from the lock's displacement from their usual position. Entering a hallway he hadn't seen for three months, he noticed lights trailing along the side of the walls towards the right-hand corridor. From a nearby speaker mounted on the wall a man's voice resounded, "Just follow the lights."

The path twisted between three more short corridors, it appeared that the facility wasn't that large but its design was almost maze-like. Finally, the lights dimmed and then ended at the foot of another metallic door. On top of the door a silver half-sphere, resembling an eye, focused its 'gaze' upon you before emanating a faint beeping noise. The door in front of you clicked and then slid away, leaving the entrance open for you.

Inside, a balding, corpulent man in a suit and tie was seated behind a empty desk, and to the side of him was the familiar petite form of Angel. Unlike her usual self, Angel wasn't smiling, keeping a neutral expression instead, obviously deferring any authority she might have had to the person residing in the chair. "Welcome Dr. Walden, I'm glad you came." The man said, his tone business-like but warm as he stood up from his chair and extended his hand to shake yours.

"Are you curious about what I am about to offer you?"

Joshua Lucas Trevin:

"Leo...ugh." Will said, distastefully, "That guy's going to be a load of trouble wherever he goes after this program. I can't fathom why the facility would pick him of all people to be in this program, well, I can imagine why but the emotional part of my cognizance cannot comprehend it."

Darting away from the subject, Will wonders aloud, "Miranda and Joe though, those two I really don't understand. Neither of them seem to possess any special personal characteristics, ones such as my intellect or your prodigical genius, nor do they possess any special skills. Miranda was crazy and Joe's wife died prematurely. It baffles me why they were put in the program, as well as what train of logic made them decide to group them together with us. Got any ideas?"

Ms. Maleck Blackwell:

"Yeah, I know I didn't advertise anywhere, anything about myself." Theresa began, her brow furrowed as she tried to recall anything. "I mean, I remember being a kid and wanting to have super powers, and as more of an adult wanting to get away from the life I had, but I never really told anyone about that...I really don't know why they chose me."

A barely-audible fizzling sound could be heard, as a young, blue-haired man in an red/orange artsy shirt and jeans materialized. "Still taking requests? I'd like a little more sun, please."

"Su...sure." Theresa replied, concentrating again, letting the clouds part and then fade away. Meanwhile, Bastien, inviting himself over, took a seat by both of the girls, laying his back on the ground, his arms behind his head with his legs crossed.

"Pardon the intrusion. Rough day. How are you two damsels doing?"

Bastien wasn't a regular visitor, and this was the first time he actually interrupted one of Theresa's virtual reality breaks, but he came by once every week to see both Maleck and Theresa. Generally, he was always a laid-back, entertaining person, always seeming to enjoy the light conversation and company of others.

Lukas Clausewitz/MaKenzie Wolf:

"At least you both have powers that have clear effects than anyone else could see." Felicia argued, "If I tried to prove that I had powers, people might think I might be an athlete of some sort, although their first thought would be that I was a mentally insane one at that. All this speculation aside, however..."

Her peace said, she turned to MaKenzie, her tone suddenly more serious, "You mentioned you have something to 'set right', so you're going to go after that mobster, then?"

Felicia had been by MaKenzie's side throughout the first half of the three months, checking up on her and keeping her company, she knew about the gang lord who killed MaKenzie's parents but always showed disapproval (though never voicing it) about MaKenzie seeking revenge.

Samnell

Explorer
Darting away from the subject, Will wonders aloud, "Miranda and Joe though, those two I really don't understand. Neither of them seem to possess any special personal characteristics, ones such as my intellect or your prodigical genius, nor do they possess any special skills. Miranda was crazy and Joe's wife died prematurely. It baffles me why they were put in the program, as well as what train of logic made them decide to group them together with us. Got any ideas?"

"Mental problems? In a statistical sense we'd all be mentally abnormal. Maybe they want to assess the effects of the project on brain states," Josh speculated.

ByteRynn

First Post
Walden looks at the large man, not quite liking his demeanor, and contemplates a moment, trying to determine if any transcendant powers are being used upon him.

Dr. Walden shakes hands with the man.

"I most certainly am, but I am afraid, sir, that you have me at a disadvantage. You know who I am, but I am quite certain that we have not yet met."

RobotRobotI

First Post
Sollir Furryfoot said:
"Pardon the intrusion. Rough day. How are you two damsels doing?"

Bastien wasn't a regular visitor, and this was the first time he actually interrupted one of Theresa's virtual reality breaks, but he came by once every week to see both Maleck and Theresa. Generally, he was always a laid-back, entertaining person, always seeming to enjoy the light conversation and company of others.

Mal raised an eyebrow when Bastien let himself in, but wasn't too concerned. She hadn't seen a whole lot of Bastien, but she never had cause to mind his company. "Hey there, Cap'n. We were just talking - imagine that - and we hit on something we think you might be able to help us with! We were sorta wondering how you chose the twenty-five of us. ... It wasn't just random selection, was it? That'd be kinda anticlimactic." Maleck finishes up the rest of her sandwich, and after doing so, speaks! "There's probably another sandwich in there if you're hungry, Bastien."

Rybaer

First Post
Sollir Furryfoot said:
"I'm not sure, to be honest..." Miranda replied, a pensive expression falling on her face, "This place really isn't all that different from the mental institution I was in before...I think they mentioned I was there for five years? I'd like to see my brother and my niece, but after that, I really don't know...I'd like to try teaching again, but I'm not sure if they'd accept me back." As usual, she was somewhat slow to speak and gave off an air of an absent-minded old lady, but at the very least she was exponentially more sane than she was when she entered the program.

"How about yourself, Joseph?"

"Well, I hope you find a way to get back into teaching," Joe says. "It sounds like that really meant a lot to you. And I hope you get to see your family.

"That's what I'm planning on doing first when I get out of here. Go visit my family back in St. Louis. After that, well, I'm just not certain yet. Maybe see if I can find a new job, something that helps other people."

Shalimar

First Post
Her peace said, she turned to MaKenzie, her tone suddenly more serious, "You mentioned you have something to 'set right', so you're going to go after that mobster, then?"

Makenzie is quiete for almost a minute before answering, looking into the space between Lukas and Felicia, almost an invitation to either of them to try and stare her down, on this subject, she wouldn't blink. "Shouldn't I? Wouldn't you if it had been your family? You being crippled if it weren't for the program? They let him off Felicia, they screwed up and they couldn't touch him. Tough break...tough break my foot, they were just scared of him, or paid off, or something, and I wont be."

"Look, I can't not do this...I have to do it, its not really a choice, I will get justice, even if he thinks he can buy his way out of it."

Remove ads