Ability Score Generation

Paraxis

Explorer
I have tinkered with different ability score generation methods for a long time. I like aspects of all of them. The best I have seen before came from another poster on this board, with the gaining of points gained from level to set number based on level (I am not expaining it well I am sure he will post a link to his later). The only thing I didn't like is the vast randomness of good rollers vs rad rollers is still there in the begining, even though you catch up eventualy.

Anyway on to my method.
I think is the best ability generation method yet. And I have come up with a ton. I like the concept of incorporating rolling and point buy and the organic method of having to have some stats that are not min/maxed wich is what you always get with point buys.
First let me say I like my heros heroic so my number of points is higher but with having to spend points in places you don't neccesarliy want it helps make up for it.

A 36 point buy. The twist some points are spent for you. Roll 1d6 for each stat straight down, you have to spend that many points on the stat.(works out great since 9-14 cost 1-6 points). If you roll all 6's you have spent all your points and have straight 14's (hence the 36 point buy).

Example player wanting to play wizards rolls following.
str-6 needs to spends 6 so a 14
dex-1 needs to spend 1 so a 9
con-3 needs to spend 3 so a 11
int- 4 needs to spend 4 so a 12
wis- 2 needs to spend 2 so 10
cha- 5 needs to spend 5 so 13

He could have rolled multipe of same number this is just an example.

So we count up how many points he spent (easy this is what he rolled on all the dice added up) we get 21 he has 15 points left to improve his stats. He would probably make his int an 18 for 12 of them and improve his dex by 2 for an 11 and his con by 1 for a 12.
Final stats would be Str-14,Dex-11,Con-12,Int-18,Wis-10,Cha-13.
I think this works very well is balanced all characters spend 36 points, incorporates rolling(wich just feels like D&D, been playing for 20+ years), and incorporates the organic method wich is something I have always liked. Power games wise the best roll being all 1's and lets you spend the remaining 29 points anyway you want, still is not to bad and how often will this happen. Worst case senario on limiting your points all 14's still not to bad considering +2 in everything, just have to put all 5 stat increases from levels in primary to get access to all spells but still doable.

Anyway what do you think?

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
I like this method; I'm one of those people who can't roll for :):):):), so I'd be glad to use this method rather than pure rolling. As DM I'd probably use 4d4s and 2d6s to roll (28 point-buy), but that's because I like heroic characters (rather than super-duper heroic).

Ilium

First Post
I like it. I also like Tequila's modification (since I use a lower point-buy as well). You could put the 2 d6's in the stats you expect to raise anyway (Int and maybe dex or con for the wizard example). His "worst case" would get you 4 12s and two 14s, so you'd still qualify for feats that require a 13 in your "focus" stats, etc.

Paraxis

Explorer
Thanks for the coments, I realy like this idea, and I didn't think of how easy it was to scale for other campains.

The 28 point buy idea works well, so would the by the book high powered, 32 point buy with 4d6 and 2d4.

I think the bringing randomness to point buy is what it needed. To many times the character arrays were the same, and you always got realy low stats in traditional dump stats for the different classes. This was with d4's the fighter who always puts that 8 in Cha is forced to put a 9-12. Wich is not going to realy underpower his character just give him some flavor.

I think for my groups we will use the 36 just because we are used to super-heroic, and gives alittle wiggle room with the forced point allocation.

genshou

First Post
Paraxis said:
I have tinkered with different ability score generation methods for a long time. I like aspects of all of them. The best I have seen before came from another poster on this board, with the gaining of points gained from level to set number based on level (I am not expaining it well I am sure he will post a link to his later). The only thing I didn't like is the vast randomness of good rollers vs rad rollers is still there in the begining, even though you catch up eventualy.
That would be me. The rule Paraxis is referring to is right here for those who are curious.

It is true that the randomness is still there at lower levels, but that's something my players are usually fine with. I have experimented with probability statistics for various die rolling methods, and 3d5+3 (or 3d6, reroll 1s) is my favourite so far. PCs can never roll below 6 for an ability score, and unlike 4d6 drop lowest, the odds are evenly placed along the range of possible numbers. The average is still pretty close (a straight 12 vs. around 12.5 for 4d6dl) and PCs are less likely to roll remarkably high rolls. Best of all, the average roll costs 4 points on point-buy, so all 6 stats are likely to fall around the 24 point-buy range. That means it doesn't take long for below-average PCs to catch up to above-average PCs using my advancement house rule, and it also reduces the odds of rolling a character with ability scores so high the variant hardcore progression rate will never catch up.

Regarding your rule, I've seen similar implementations of random minimums for ability scores in point-buy, and you have avoided the one flaw many of them possess. You did that by matching the maximum point-buy value of the random rolls to the point-buy actually given to the characters. Even if I roll 6, 6, 6, 1, 6, 6 for a Wizard, I can still get that 14 Intelligence. I think I like your method even more than 3d6 in order. ;) By making it impossible to roll above the point-buy actually given to the characters, you keep someone from being screwed out of playing the class they want by rolling high on all ability scores but the one they need.

Last edited:

jester47

First Post
It is interesting that many players don't want their character having less than 10 in any score. Why not start at 7 and just roll 3d4?

Intersting method BTW.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases