Did You Marry a Gamer?

Did You Marry a Gamer?

• Yes, I'm so incredibly lucky!

Votes: 92 36.4%
  • No, but my spouse is wonderful anyway!

Votes: 101 39.9%
  • I'm single but I wanted to check this thread out.

Votes: 60 23.7%

SalviaNemain

First Post
I must say that I am the convert in our relationship!!
I had always heard of gaming, but didn't really know or understand what it was.
When we met, I started watching some of his games. It was so much fun. They had such a wonderful time!!
Soon, I was begging to be allowed to play!!! Not wanting to ruin his friends experience, (he didn't want his friends to think there was any favoritism going on) i wasn't allowed to.
THEY finally talked him into letting me try! And four years later, I am GMing a bit now!!

jerichothebard

First Post
Nomad4life said:
So maybe H.P. will be her gateway into D&D. Who knows?

The first time I read that, I thought, he's hoping for Lovecraft to be her gateway? What kind of sicko is he?

My wife is a good chess player, a ruthless backgammon player, and devastating at Carcassonne, not to mention good at math and extremely intelligent. But the closest she has ever come to RPGs is admitting, once, a long time ago, under duress, that she might possibly someday (maybe) think about being a little interested in (perhaps) giving some consideration to the possibility of sitting in on a few minutes of a session, if she was free that night and bored and there was nothing on tv better than a D-grade Hallmark channel chick flick.

*sigh* Oh well, someone has to watch the munchkin. At least, until he's old enough to not want to eat the dice. ;)

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Nomad4life said:
But all that may be changing thanks to those Harry Potter books. She read the first one just to see what all her students were going so berserk about. Now she’s read them all and is rabidly waiting for the last book. So maybe H.P. will be her gateway into D&D. Who knows?

LOL. My wife is not too fond of RPGs (likes board games and some card games though), but she absolutely adores the Harry Potter books. I keep thinking that is somehow going to be the key... ;)

Nomad4life

First Post
jerichothebard said:
The first time I read that, I thought, he's hoping for Lovecraft to be her gateway? What kind of sicko is he?

You have no idea how funny that is, since I happen to be writing my English Master’s thesis on Lovecraft (or rather, on “From Arkham to Yoknapatawpha: The Mythic City Approach in Early 20th Century American Lit” with Faulkner & Lovecraft as two of my primary subjects.)

And man, does my wife hate it. No gateways there! :p

Merkuri

Explorer
Wow, I'm in the distinct minority when I say I got my boyfriend into gaming instead of the other way around. ;) We're not married, so I didn't vote, but we may as well be.

airwalkrr said:
LOL. My wife is not too fond of RPGs (likes board games and some card games though)

I'd happily settle for the latter. My wife doesn't like games, period. She gets bored even listening to my very occasional talk about my games, and even a board game she "liked," Ticket to Ride (which I bought specifically because I thought she might like it), she's played only twice in a couple of months.

Which just goes to show that you can't change people. :)

Thank Goodness, my wife is a gamer. She gamed before we met, gamed while we dated, and still games now. In fact, we gamed with friends yesterday. Like me, she's into rpgs, card games, board games, and video games.

If she didn't game, I'm not sure what we'd talk about on the drive to Gen Con...

Sunglar

Explorer
Interesting subject… My ex wife was NOT a gamer and although she put up with it she really resented it and the time I spent at the table (only one night a week, and a Monday at that…) She is a wonderful woman, but never got into games, she tried to make a character and knew all my gaming friends but really could not grasp it and thought it was infantile and a waste of time (and NO the divorce had nothing to do with gaming).

My current girl friend is a wonderful woman who actually encourages my gaming, has sat on games and although she thinks it’s not for her. She however is a fantasy and sci-fi fan, loves board games and wants to learn to play the D&D miniature game. She is actually the first person I’ve dated that encourages my gaming sincerely and unabashedly.

I have never dated a gaming girl…

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases