Midnight: A Lost Faith's Shadow. Book 1, The Awakening. Chapter 3, Baden's Bluff

Hrothgar

First Post
Murdoch nods at Valurel. Aye. The Fey have wisdom that we cannot match. Murdoch lowers his voice when he speaks to Kaela. I hope we don't have to face any legate, especially the one's reputed to be in Baden's Bluff.

In one corner, Fallax stands, turns to face Ibor with a knowing glance and then turns back to the assembledge. I think we risk the girl's life if we move her now. I argue for rest and patience. Irrational moves now could compromise our position to those that seek her out. Murdoch says nothing, but looks to the rest of the Heroes for a reply.

Only half-listening to the exchange, Lodric focuses on the young girl Aislinn, seeking to infuse his inner strength in the young girl. Placing his hand on her hot forehead, Lodric can feel the girl's pain...and seeks to take it away. The effect is shocking. Aislinn screams in pain, an agony that racks the young girl's body with spasms. Reaching out, she grabs Lodric's and Kaela's forearms, her dirty nails sinking into flesh. Seemingly without control, the faint green luminescence once again surrounds Aislinn. Lodric's and Kaela's wounds from their earlier battle heal, flesh knitting and muscles regrowing. Aislinn arms drop to her sides and the young girl lays motionless and unconscious, weakened by her ordeal. Feeling her hands and cheeks, Lodric smiles in relief. The young girl's fever is broken.
OOC: Lodric receives 9 points of healing and Kaela receives 10 points of healing.

Murdoch and the others note the exchange with intense interest. Murdoch speaks with heightened anxiety. Indeed she is special. From where does her power spring? I hope the Elven representative can answer our questions. Still, that exchange of arcane power might attract the attention of a legate's servant. We must move quickly. Ibor! Make way to the East Steeps and notify our contacts we are coming. Tell them we take the back channels. It will be light soon and free of Fell. We await your return. Ibor glances once at the Heroes then at Fallax before trotting down the stairs and out into the sewers. Turning back to the Heroes, Murdoch nods. Make what plans you can and gain your rest. We leave at Ibor's return.

maddmic

Explorer
Herger listens to the exchange between his companions and the resistance. He is content to eat some cheese and bread while listening and watching Aislinn.

It is hard for him to watch Kaela lance the boils while helping the small girl. All he can see is his sister laying there. Knowing that it isn't really one of his sisters still doesn't lessen the affect it has had on him. Perhaps he feels that he has been called to protect this small one as punishment for not being able to keep his sisters from being sold into slavery. He looks down the the ground while Aislinns eyes leak the tears. It is something that he is not comfortable in seeing. It is not natural.

Herger jumps to his feet as the girl screams in pain when Lodric lays his hand on her. As she glows, Herger notices Lodrics and Kaelas wound heal before his eyes. When Lodric feels her cheek and he smiles, Herger is relieved. Apparently everything is better now.

Herger watches the exchange and Ibor trot out of the room. He looks to Murdoch. "I find it interesting that Jodya is one of the dead who still walks. I am glad to hear that she is still well, or as well as one could be dead. It still puzzles me though as to why she would fight against those of the shadow and against those who have been afflicted by the same curse as she. I suppose thoug that is something to discuss a different day. I will carry Aislinn to the elven representative. I have carried her far and will continue to do so. I appreciate your willingness to harbor people like us who could potentially bring the shadow to your doorstep. If there is anything that I can do, short of leaving the girl, I will do it."

Bobitron

Explorer
Kaela watches the insurgent's faces carefully as Aislinn's powers manifest, looking for the reaction that might betray a heart taken by the Shadow.

ooc: Sense Motive +9

She smiles warmly at Lodric, emotion in her eyes. I'll thank him privately for that later, she decides. No need to get any more weepy in front of all these hardened folk!

Even though Aislinn lies unconcious, Kaela takes her close and strokes her hair as they rest. She is too weary to make plans and is content to let the insurgents and the more martial of the Heroes desicuss the route to the representative.

ooc: I have that feat that increases hit point recovery while providing care (rate x3). I'll use my Heal at +8 to help if we have enough time.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Lodric steps back, his hands trembling slightly. He thinks to himself, "That touch, such a small amount of power like Aislinn uses to comfort others caused her such agony. Did it do more harm than good?" When he sees the fever is down, he is relieved, but the shock of possibly having hurt someone he wished to defend does more to shake him than any of the events of the past weeks.

Hrothgar

First Post
Bobitron said:
ooc: Sense Motive +9

ooc: I have that feat that increases hit point recovery while providing care (rate x3). I'll use my Heal at +8 to help if we have enough time.

OOC: OK.

Kaela's slim form breathes deep before exhaling slowly. Her concern for Aislinn conflicts with her desire to help the others. The others are hurt, and any weakness in the Heroes could mean the loss of Aislinn. It will be a long wait. Looking into her supplies, she scans the faces of the insurgents. Bowen, Bran, and Murdoch are still astounded at the outburst, their eyes wide with wonder and questions. Sitting on the table, Fallax continues to scowl. It is odd the comradship he has formed with Ibor so quickly. Both possess acidic personalities; maybe that is the reason for their companionship. Administering to the wounded, Kaela also keeps an sharp eye on Aislinn.
OOC: Everyone receives 6 hit points. Sorry, Ibor returns before a full 8 hours.

Nearby, Lodric can only wonder at Aislinn's outburst. Why should his healing hurt the young girl? Is it the power that manifests through her? Or is it something else? Lodric's vision becomes blurry. It has been hours since he last slept. Slowly sleep washes over him, carrying him on dark waves of night. Seemingly awake, Aislinn stands before him, her back to him. Calling out uncertainly, Aislinn takes no notice. Around Lodric, the darkness lifts and the light almost unbearable, making him shield his eyes. The heat is stifling and the ground itself burns Lodric's feet, the soil charred coals and blowing embers. Crying out for Aislinn to stop, he follows her into a forest. An ancient forest. A forest dark...and angry. Angry at the burning fire and the pain it causes. Chasing Aislinn down dark groves, large oaks leering down his diminutive form, he falls, his legs entangled in creeping roots. Screaming at Aislinn to stop, the girl walks into a grove. A grove of darkness, the tree branches closing around her...hiding her...claiming her. Above, clutching branches rip and scrape at Lodric, his flesh tearing... Quickly Lodric sits up, his breathing harsh. Even in sleep, Lodric cannot find peace.

As the others rest, Murdoch sits next to Herger, his legs outstretched his chin on his chest in rest. Turning slightly to Herger, Murdoch speaks slowly. Jodya was once a warrior that fought the Shadow many years ago. She was a seductress, a whore for those that could afford her. She used her status to get close to legates, the Shadow's army captains, whomever. She was an efficient assassin. Unfortunately, she died...Her loyalty to our cause has never been questioned. Still, none of us is willing to meet her alone. Murdoch grunts a small laugh. As for you Northman, with your size, I believe you could carry us all. I'm glad you are on our side. Now rest, Ibor shall return in a few hours.

The time drags by slowly. Outside, the city comes to life as sunrise approaches. The sounds of the dock, although muted, drift into the small stone building. Fishermen begin another tedious day on the Pelluria as Shadow mercenaries walk the docks, shouting orders. It is hard to estimate time without the sun, but in what seems a few hours, Ibor returns. The Elf expects us. We must be cautious. Word reached my informant that Orcs and human mercenaries are searching the northern Worm Docks and Thune was with them. While they have not been seen on the Stone Docks and East steeps, I urge stealth. Murdoch acknowledges Ibor's concerns. Ibor, Bowen, Ensin. You travel with us. The rest, head north and see what the Shadow is up to on the Worm Docks. Travelers, Murdoch hands each a cloak, in Herger's case two, don these. Beggars rags. We will travel in groups of two and three. Wildman, keep your wolf at a distance and everyone will think it a wild dog of the streets. Let's move.

Passing down the steps and into the sewer drains, Murdoch leads the small group, a torch in his hand. Passing through a maze of stone drains, the Heroes emerge through a street grate into a narrow, refuse choked alley. Summer's heat greets the Heroes, but without the wind from last night. The air is suprisingly still, as if Aryth herself held her breath. Above, gray clouds cover the sky. Murdoch and Lodric lead down the alley, the insurgent leader poking in the refuse, seemingly seeking small tidbits any beggar would be interested in. Lodric quickly follows Murdoch's lead as the two slowly pass down the alley. Next to follow forty yards apart are Bowen and Kaela, Kaela's heart beating so loudly she worries an orc patrol might hear it. Ibor, Herger, Fallax, and Aislinn follow, the unconscious young girl draped over Herger's arms. Guarding the rear, Ensin, Valurel and Starhl keep their eyes open for peril.

Through refuse packed alleys and past disinterested residents of Baden's Bluff, the Heroes slowly make their way through the Stone Docks, the stone channels and quays so different than the Worm Docks. As the Heroes pass down more populated streets, people keep a wide distance from the orc patrols who occasionally pick on an individual. In one case, a man is beaten in the street while the orcs laugh, his young son trying to shield his father’s body, the boy kicked by an orc. At one point, a lone orc passes near Herger his gaze narrowed. Herger's heart leaps into his throat. Quickly the orc raises his arm in front of his face in alarm at the sight of Aislinn. Diseased maggots! Move, get out of my face!, the orc waving his arms wildly and quickly striding away.

After an hour of travel, the ground quickly rises. The East Steeps are aptly named. Above the Heroes, roads and trails stretch along the side of Baden's Bluff to reach the city proper above. Slowly trudging up the tree lined, cobblestone paths, the Heroes find significantly fewer residents here. Notoriously difficult to navigate, the Steeps seem occupied only by the poor. Passing down a alley bordered by a stone building and heavy bushes, Murdoch passes through a break in the foliage into the back of another building. Knocking twice, the door swings open for the Heroes, revealing a dark, wooden chamber and several men with drawn swords. Throwing back his hood Murdoch nods at the men without saying a word. As the door closes behind the Heroes, Murdoch leads the the group through another door and out into another alley, its entrance closed off from the main road of the steeps by wooden gate. Moving quickly down the alley away from the main road, Murdoch leads the Heroes into a ruined stone building, its back up against a stone cliff that rises above the Heroes. Within the building, several men stand armed with bows and swords. Moving through an archway, the Heroes find themselves in a large room, its stone roof collapsed and open to the sky. The floor of the room is now covered in grasses and several mid-size trees spring upward to sway against the side of the stone bluff overhead. The stone rubble from the roof on the floor of the room serves as stools for several insurgents dressed in long, dark cloaks in argument with a slender female in a ragged cloak. Under the female's cloak are ragged leathers, breeches, and shirt; her large hazel eyes, golden hair, pointed ears, and inhuman grace mark her as an elf. Seated next to the elf is an old, bearded Erenlander.

Quickly the heated debate ends as all stand at the Heroes approach. The human men and women frown at the Heroes approach, but the Elf smiles kindly and sympathetically. The old man smiles and nods. The Elf speaks, her voice melodic. Murdoch. I am glad you made it safely. Looking at the Heroes, the Elf nods. I am Elaural of Erethor. Ibor has told me your story. Rarely do I risk meeting strangers, but at Murdoch's behest, I have made an exception. A strange group, I can see. And an Erunsil! In Baden's Bluff! Well, there is a great story in the telling here! Please, sit. Who of you will speak? Tell me your story and let me decide if we here can help you.

maddmic

Explorer
Hrothgar said:
In one case, a man is beaten in the street while the orcs laugh, his young son trying to shield his father’s body, the boy kicked by an orc.
Herger watches in disgust as the orcs beat the man and his son. His first inclination is to hand the girl to one of his companions and rush to end their suffering. He realizes though that his emotions are beginning to take hold of him and that there are more important things at hand. He calms himself as best he can and continues.

Hrothgar said:
At one point, a lone orc passes near Herger his gaze narrowed. Herger's heart leaps into his throat. Quickly the orc raises his arm in front of his face in alarm at the sight of Aislinn. Diseased maggots! Move, get out of my face!, the orc waving his arms wildly and quickly striding away.
Hergers tongue swells up and he almost chokes on it as he could've sworn that the orc was one of those who followed them the night before. His mind races as the orc eyes him suspiciously. He is about to react when the orc sees Aislinn and declares that they begone. Relieved, Herger quickens his step to put distance in between him and the partol, much as a beaten dog would retreat from it's master.

Hrothgar said:
Quickly the heated debate ends as all stand at the Heroes approach. The human men and women frown at the Heroes approach, but the Elf smiles kindly and sympathetically. The old man smiles and nods. The Elf speaks, her voice melodic. Murdoch. I am glad you made it safely. Looking at the Heroes, the Elf nods. I am Elaural of Erethor. Ibor has told me your story. Rarely do I risk meeting strangers, but at Murdoch's behest, I have made an exception. A strange group, I can see. And an Erunsil! In Baden's Bluff! Well, there is a great story in the telling here! Please, sit. Who of you will speak? Tell me your story and let me decide if we here can help you.

The giant is amazed at the beauty within the ruined building. He then sees the group arguing as they sit on the stones. He is puzzled by the frowns by the humans, but his heart is warmed by the elf. It is clear that she is one of some importance. He steps forward unsure of what to do. While still cradling the girl, Herger kneels. "M'lady. I am not the best with words. Our story simply put is this girl. She is our hope. We are her protectors." He then ensures that the elf is able to see Aislinn and her face. He holds her and cradles her much like a proud father showing off his first child, yet subdued and guarding her at the same time.

Bobitron

Explorer
Kaela's heart is still pounding in her chest when they reach the relative calm of the chamber where the elf lady waits. She freezes a moment when the elf speaks. How different from our Valurel, she thinks. Herger's answer brings her back to the present.

"Greetings, Elaural of Erethor." She bows slightly, unsure of the protocol. "We are of Caft, mostly. I am Kaela, healer and herbalist. This is Herger, our giant protector. Starhl, warrior Dorn. Valurel, deadly scrapper. Lodric, quick-witted and fast to defend. Fallax, scholar. And Aislinn, our Hope." She motions to each in turn. "We have traveled far to reach this place. I would explain to you the talent of Aislinn and seek your council on what to do next."

"She is taken by a fever every so often, manifesting in large boils on her body that must be drained. I fear she is punished by this land for her talent, which is the ability to heal those around her with a touch. Not magic of the sort a channeler can bring, but innate and natural. The infection seems to be what caused her blindness." She moves to where Herger holds the girl, attempting to rouse her. "Asilinn? Dearest? We have arrived. This woman would like to meet you, I think."

Hrothgar

First Post
Elaural moves close and bends over Aislinn. Pulling back the cloak covering Aislinn's face, Elaural's fingers run gently down the cheeks of the Dorn girl. She is only now recovering? With your permission, we can have Jessup, our healer, take a look at her. Standing behind Elaural, the old bearded man with his frayed cloak and clothing smiles gently.

Elaural stands, her hands gently resting on Herger's and Kaela's shoulders. I do not mean to diminish your travails. However, others have been reputed to heal with a touch, even those without training in magic. Aryth herself has been known to bless those that seek to defend her. Elaural looks appraisingly at Herger's abnormal size and smiles knowingly.

Is there a story behind her powers? What makes her different from others that can heal? Again, I mean no insult. Was there something special about Caft or the surrounding area that she grew up? To place unfounded hope in one so small is not our way.

OOC: Realize Elaural's position. Without proof that Aislinn is something special, she cannot risk placing hope in her and compromising the insurgency. I know it has been awhile (1 year!), but can you remember the night the Heroes fled from Caft with Aislinn. Where did they go? Why? Any special landmarks or special items found in the caves? This might be a good time to review for everyone why this girl is truly special.

Krug

Newshound
Sorry been rather busy, and my poor memory has sagged with age. :p

Starhl growls. "She is the one..." he looks to the others, hoping they will speak and persuade Elaural.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases