Midnight: A Lost Faith's Shadow. Book 1, The Awakening. Chapter 3, Baden's Bluff

Bobitron

Explorer
Kaela's vision is tinged with red from the pain of her wounds, and she barely recognizes the newcomer for what he is. Starhl moves with him, and she follows. Gripping her torso tight to stop the flow of her lifeblood, she steps haltingly after her companions.

maddmic

Explorer
Herger proceeds through the culvert quickly hoping that they are able to outrun their persuers. He knows Kaelas plight and glances over his shoulder trying to see her. He continues to guid Aislinn as best as he can, hoping that safety is near.

OOC:
He will carry Aislinn if their path allows for it, otherwise he will hold her off the ground in front of him, so that she won't fall.

Hrothgar

First Post
The young Erenlander climbs into the culvert and does not wait for either Kaela or Starhl. Behind, Kaela walks quickly but with considerable effort, her stomach aching and stinging with its fresh wounds and contact with the water in the channel. Starhl walks next to her, keeping a sharp eye on the Erenlander. The Erenlander runs up the culvert, keeping his head low in the shallow tunnel. Running toward Herger, Lodric, Fallax, Valurel, and Aislinn, he whispers harshly, I am a friend! Quickly, follow the tunnel to the right! He slows once he gets near the Heroes, seeing Herger's massive form stooped in the tunnel and Valurel's ice cold eyes glaring suspisciously in the darkness. I am willing to help anyone escape those black-hearted bastards! Trust me now, and I swear I will earn your respect when we are finished!

Pushing his way through, the young man shuffles quickly into the tunnel without looking back. Following the tunnel to the right, the young man stoops even more as the tunnel narrows. Complete darkness surrounds the Heroes. Herger's shoulders chaffe and scrape on the stone blocks of the drainage and he is forced to put Aislinn down. The young girl grabs Valurel's hand for guidance.

We must go slow, Friends. The darkness is too complete for my human eyes. I was not prepared for this...I have no light source. The Erenlander pauses for an instant, waiting for any replies from his new companions. Down the tunnel from outside drifts the harsh speech of the orcs, shouts of rage, and squeels of pain. The orcs have reached the channel.

The young Erenlander turns to follow a narrow drain, the source of the rivulet of water in the larger culvert; here the water covers hands and knees as the Heroes are forced to walk on all fours. Crawling through the darkness, anxiety rises. Where is the young Erenlander taking them?

Here! We can stand! The ceiling of the drain has been removed and one by one the Heroes stand and are able to step up on a ledge into a small, stone-floored room. The grinding of stone and a rumble follows. There. The ceiling is covered. The water below should wash away our passing. There is a doorway here...but it is not possible to open from this side. Refugees from the Shadow use this has a safe house. One of my companions should be along soon to open the door. I apologize for no light, but our presence was not expected. My name is Bach Bran. If I may ask, why was the Shadow after you?

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
In the darkness, Lodric leans against the wall for support. Quietly he saysThe Shadow often needs little or no reason to be after someone. In our case it was because we were attacked by Fell and attracted the attention of patrols in defending ourselves. You saw that two of our company are not the sort of people the Shadow tolerates, so I think you can deduce for yourself why we would not want to be caught. In the meantime we thank you for your help and hope it will not be the cause of difficulty for you.

Krug

Newshound
"Aye. Any who would fight it, they would kill. What need for reason does it have? It wants to crush us," Starhl says, still eyeing the Erelander suspiciously. He waits until the rest of the party is in front of him, constantly looking backwards to see if he is being followed.

Bobitron

Explorer
Kaeal smiles wearily at the youth, her arm draped around Asilinn and perhaps leaning a bit harder on her than she knew.

"My companions speak plainly to you, and I will do the same." She studies his face before continuing with a sigh. "Indeed, the Shadow needs no reason other than its own cancerous evil to wish us dead. If you wish for a listing of all the crimes we have committed against the Night Kings, it would take a volume to scribe." Her eyes shine bright as she stands up straighter. "But foremost is that we refuse to let this girl die."

Kaela extends a warm smile to the boy. "We are in your debt, Bach Bran. I am Kaela of Caft."

Valurel remains crouched protectively in front of Kaela and Aislinn, not completely trusting the young Erenlander but not really having a choice at the moment. He remains silent, letting his more eloquent companions do the talking.

Hrothgar

First Post
OOC: Sorry for the delay. I am on vacation with a dialup connection (ugh!). Also, the chamber Bach Bran led you into was completely dark!

The darkness surrounding the Heroes is all-consuming. Voices seem like entities of their own, disembodied from their fleshy generators. Bach Bran speaks. I understand the Shadow. Its forces need little reason to beat, maim...kill. I suppose as long as the Shadow remains, so will people like us, fighting the oppression. Still, risking one's life for a young Dorn girl...that indeed is a story. Even among the insurgents of Baden's Bluff you should be considered Heroes. From the darkness, Aislinn's small voice sounds. Aye. They are Heroes. The journey they have undertaken for me, without faith or question, would be sung by our people as the odes of ages past were once sung in better times. Aislinn, leans against Kaela, as if the effort to speak was too exhausting. Kaela can feel the girl's warmth, an unnatural warmth. Feeling her cheeks and hand, the young girl is burning with fever once again.

Time would not seem to exist without light, except for the thirst and hunger felt by the Heroes. Fallax sneers. When will your friends arrive? Or did you seal us in our own tomb, foolish boy?. At that moment a crack sounds on the other side of the far stone wall, followed by the grate of stone on stone. Dim light seeps into the chamber, dazzling the eyes of the Heroes. In the light, several dark forms stand with drawn blades. A grating male voice sounds, Bach, you little bastard! Have you led the Shadow directly to our hiding hole? Another male voice, this one more calm and measuring answers. Relax, everyone. The Little Crow did what he felt was best. Strangers, show us your weapons and show no signs of treachery! We move from here quietly without spoken word. Even the tunnels have the ears of Shadow. Now, move!

The figures, now visible in the light as six male and female Erenlanders dressed in simple leathers with dark cloaks and masks covering the lower portions of their faces, stand ready, their blades in battle-hardened hands. As Bach Bran stands he turns to the Heroes. You may trust these Erenlanders. They will help you in your cause if it be just.. As he walks through the low doorway into the tunnel, one of the men cuffs Brach, staggering him. This rabble almost brought an orc garrison down on their own heads! And you lead them here? I swear I am going to beat you within an inch of you life, whelp, when we make safer ground! The other male Erenlander who spoke looks at Brach's attacker accusingly and with dissapproval. Again, let us move. We must make safer ground in case you are tracked here.

As Kaela stands, she notices Aislinn remains lying on the ground, her breathing harsh, her skin burning with fever.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Lodric steps forward, shows his dagger and inutek and cracks his knuckles. Let us make haste, we must get the girl someplace where she can rest and we can care for her or all will be for nothing.

maddmic

Explorer
Herger had been grateful to the boy for helping them. Fallax's comments to their rescuer made the giant glare at the old man, even in the darkness. 'That feeble old man is poison. We should rid ourselves of him when we can.' He is relieved when the stone door is opened, but is appalled at how one of the men treats Brach. Herger is one who is slow to anger, yet he cannot understand their brash treatment of the younger Erenlander. He understands the need for secrecy, yet still disapproves of the scolding ones actions. Unfortunately, the giant is unable to mask his displeasure, but complies with the Erenlanders request by showing them the massive axe.

He begins to crawl into the new lit tunnel. As he passes the man who chastised and hit Brach, he looks at him. "It is not for me to judge you, nor how you conduct yourselves here. I understand that the shadow has put us all on edge. Brach risked his own life in helping us. I understand that it could jeopardize your operation, yet I also know that he quite possibly saved our lives. For that I am grateful and will do what I can to aid him and your cause if you choose to hear us out. I do wish however that you would forgive him for having his heart in the right place. He could just have easily turned us in as countless others in this city would have."

Turning to the Erenlander who seems to be the more reasonable, Herger continues. "We had help from a woman named Jodya. I do not know if she is associated with you or not. She fell into the water while we were figting with the dead that walk. She was trying to help us get the girl to safety." He turns to point at Aslinn. As he does so, he notices that she is laying down and not moving. With a worried glance to Kaela, he reaches down and scoops her up. "We must move now! Quickly! She is sick and needs tending to!"

OOC:
Forgive me if I jumped the gun and Herger doesn't actually see Aislinn on the ground. If so, I will edit my post accordingly.

Last edited:

Remove ads