TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Troll Lord

First Post
Deuce Traveler said:
Some friends of mine are in a location that non-WOTC products have trouble making it to. My closest friends and I have been looking at the freeware on the Troll Lords site and like what we've seen. I don't want to get into it here, but I've been talking to Troll Lords about trying to get their products in these areas where there isn't adequate hobby support. The Troll Lords rep has been very friendly, but he's literally swamped with e-mail it seems at times.

Out of the RPG fans I've talked to in order to gauge an interest in the products, many like the idea of Castles and Crusades, but feel that it's too close to DnD to warrant a change in product. However, I was very surprised by the great interest that Lejendary Adventures elicited. The new character advancement, hero templates, and creatures raised quite a few eyebrows. I think that if Troll Lords continues to put out quality products it has a good chance of pushing into the disgruntled WOTC fan base if they make 4E more of a MMORPG or card-collectible game. (Some say it might be more like the old Chainmail, which would be a bit more interesting to see than other rumors have made it sound.)

It will be good to peruse more of the Troll Lords products and I hope to be able to get my copy soon so I can show it off and see if there is a market in my friend's area.

Erg! I just posted a huge post and lost it! Its now 2 in the am and my eyes hurt! LOL here goes ...

Gary and I have been talking a bit about LA lately, which is good as we face off the rumors about 4e. Regardless of what happens to D&D TLG is committed to brining more LA out in a far more timely manner.

Up first is Fish for Breakfast. This short adventure module, designed for Essentials, is due out by Gencon. It will be released for general sale the following week. We are working on a few other short adventures (They who Watch by Jon Creffield and another by Chris Clark) as well as the new Avatar Sheets. Darlene and I talked about these at LGGC and she was pretty excited to be given a free hand on them. If any of you have seen the Crusader mag, you can see what she is capable of (as well as doing the original Greyhawk maps). We are also looking over the existing material and are going to release some of it in electronic format, this will include both published and unpublished material.

That's in the short term.

We'll wrap that plan with release of More Beasts of Lejend. This book by Gygax will serve as the perfect Bridging project between Essentials and the re-release of the Core Books. These three books, the first of which, Lejendary Rules for All Players, has already been turned over to us. Post Gencon I'll turn those files over to Darlene for layout. Peter Bradley is already hard at work on sketching the prelimanary cover sketches for all three books. Once these begin hitting shelves, probably mid-year, next year, we'll start releasing the material Gary already has waiting in the wings...books like Tome of Knowledge, the screens, etc etc.

We're pretty jived about LA. Its a system that compliments our other system, C&C, perfectly as LA is skill based and C&C is class based. Both systems are VERY easy to learn, play and run, but at the same time offer a truly different role playing experience...but I dare say LA is more versatile and if you are looking for "NOW FOR SOMETHIGN COMPLETELY DIFFERENT" LA is your ticket.

I hope that helps. Check out the website, message boards, post Gencon for more news on LA or if you are at GEncon come by booth 502 and I'll talk your ear off!

Thanks,
Steve

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
It's heartening to see you gentlemen talk and move so aggressively. Because of the hooplah caused by the 4E rumors I think it's a good time in the RPG market to do so.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
tylerthehobo said:
Thanks, Gary. I realize, too, that whatever's in the works is likely early in the planning stages, based on what little's been leaked over the past few days. No worries - just hoping for some detail that might put some of the fraying flamewars on the other threads to rest. ;)
Well...

I did email James, but it is evident that so far he has assiduously avoided responding here :]

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Deuce Traveler said:
It's heartening to see you gentlemen talk and move so aggressively. Because of the hooplah caused by the 4E rumors I think it's a good time in the RPG market to do so.
Heh...

After reading Steve's post I need to fire off two emails:

First one is to him to remind him of all the corrections and minor additions that have been done for the LA game's Lejendary Rules for all Players, and that there are additions and clarifications to it, as well as to the Lejend Master's Lore volume contained in the Tome of Knowledge core rules expansion suppleent volume ms. he has in hand.

Second, I need to alert Darlene that the now Avatar Record sheet should have a space for Oantheon and Deity adhered to.

Cheers,
Gary

BluSponge

Explorer
Troll Lord said:
We're pretty jived about LA. Its a system that compliments our other system, C&C, perfectly as LA is skill based and C&C is class based. Both systems are VERY easy to learn, play and run, but at the same time offer a truly different role playing experience...but I dare say LA is more versatile and if you are looking for "NOW FOR SOMETHIGN COMPLETELY DIFFERENT" LA is your ticket.

Sounds great, Steve! I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with LA (and to shiny, heavy, hardcover books).

My only hope is that you guys really, really, REALLY scour the power listings. My biggest gripe about the system (aside from spellcasting using a completely different time mechanic from everything else in the game -- but I can houserule that) is that every game session I had to confront some vague point in the power descriptions. Every. Game. Session. And yes, it was a different spell every time. I know Gary likes his rules fast and loose, but c'mon! (Most of these appeared to be editing snafus anyhow.)

If that gripe were alleviated, it would be a most happy day. :D

Tom
who loves him some LA

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
BluSponge said:
Sounds great, Steve! I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with LA (and to shiny, heavy, hardcover books).

My only hope is that you guys really, really, REALLY scour the power listings. My biggest gripe about the system (aside from spellcasting using a completely different time mechanic from everything else in the game -- but I can houserule that) is that every game session I had to confront some vague point in the power descriptions. Every. Game. Session. And yes, it was a different spell every time. I know Gary likes his rules fast and loose, but c'mon! (Most of these appeared to be editing snafus anyhow.)

If that gripe were alleviated, it would be a most happy day. :D

Tom
who loves him some LA
Grouse, whine, snivel!

:p
Gary

Geoffrey

First Post
Gary and Steve:

What sort of art do you have planned for the re-release of the Lejendary Adventure core rule books? I unfortunately never cared for much of the art in the original releases. I for one would be very pleased if the LA game could be illustrated in a more old-school fashion. My favorite FRPG artist is Erol Otus, and he seems to be a big favorite amongst my compatriots over at dragonsfoot.org.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Geoffrey said:
Gary and Steve:

What sort of art do you have planned for the re-release of the Lejendary Adventure core rule books? I unfortunately never cared for much of the art in the original releases. I for one would be very pleased if the LA game could be illustrated in a more old-school fashion. My favorite FRPG artist is Erol Otus, and he seems to be a big favorite amongst my compatriots over at dragonsfoot.org.
That is all up to the Trolls, but I for one much prefer artwork more along the lines of that done by Trampier, Elmore, and Easley. Sadly, Tramp is no longer doing illustrations.

Cheers,
Gary

Treebore

First Post
Peter is a fine artist, plus he is very distinctive. I hope he remains the flagship artist for LA and C&C for a long time. He does gorgeous maps too!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Treebore said:
Peter is a fine artist, plus he is very distinctive. I hope he remains the flagship artist for LA and C&C for a long time. He does gorgeous maps too!
Yes, I like Peter's work. I was addressing the matter of which of the original TSR illustrators whose art I most enjoyed.

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads