TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
Gary, I was perusing the Monster Manual recently and noticed a couple of odd entries for treasure types I was hoping you could shed some light on.

Gray Mouser

Those entries are to devil the PCs, and be demoniacal :lol:

Actually, I likely should have noted that the DM is assumed to supply Dispater with some nasty offensve magic items to employ against a PC party daring to attack him. the same is true for pit fiends;) The latter are also smewhat likely to be guarding the treasure of another entity.

Cheers,
Gary

Gray Mouser

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Those entries are to devil the PCs, and be demoniacal :lol:

Before the ensuing pun war gets started I Demodand that you desist!

Heh, lame, I know ;)

Actually, I likely should have noted that the DM is assumed to supply Dispater with some nasty offensve magic items to employ against a PC party daring to attack him.

Well, his staff is already pretty potent but if you say so... :]

I assume you'd beef up the monetary treasure as well, since all he is listed as having when encountered in his lair is 10-40 gem?

the same is true for pit fiends;) The latter are also smewhat likely to be guarding the treasure of another entity.

Cheers,
Gary

Heh, no problem there. What would a Pit Fiend be doing on the Prime Material Plane if he hadn't been summoned to guard some horde, after all? :)

But does this mean that they really don't have 3-24 cp's each? ;)

Gray Mouser

Last edited:

seskis281 said:
I moved to . . . Wisconsin in 04 . . .

At one point or another, every D&D player inevitably becomes a cheesehead. It's like the salmon returning home to roost, or whatever it is salmon do. :p

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
Before the ensuing pun war gets started I Demodand that you desist!

Heh, lame, I know ;)
I'll limp along without more punning...

Well, his staff is already pretty potent but if you say so... :]

I assume you'd beef up the monetary treasure as well, since all he is listed as having when encountered in his lair is 10-40 gem?
Ah, well, he at least needs something to zap a large area at a distance. something to absorb magic missiles that get past his MR, that sort of thing.

What's wrong with 10-40 base 10,000 gp gems?

Heh, no problem there. What would a Pit Fiend be doing on the Prime Material Plane if he hadn't been summoned to guard some horde, after all? :)

But does this mean that they really don't have 3-24 cp's each? ;)

Gray Mouser
Actually, the pit fiends should have more than that pittance :lol: Use I rather than J, or else make up some special array that suits you. However, unless in their lair, these sweethearts don't carry much in the way of treasure, save for useful attack and defence items.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
haakon1 said:
At one point or another, every D&D player inevitably becomes a cheesehead. It's like the salmon returning home to roost, or whatever it is salmon do. :p
If you want to be a cheesehead,
Just come along with me,
By the bright shining light,
By the light of the moon.

With apologies to whomever wrote "If You Want to be a Badger." :p

Cheers,
Gary

Gray Mouser

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
What's wrong with 10-40 base 10,000 gp gems?

Heh, well, when you put it that way the only thing I can think of is it's not cumbersome enough for the party to carry on their way out! ;)

Actually, the pit fiends should have more than that pittance :lol: Use I rather than J, or else make up some special array that suits you. However, unless in their lair, these sweethearts don't carry much in the way of treasure, save for useful attack and defence items.

Cheers,
Gary

Oh, sure. And I'm sure if a Pit Fiend were encountered outside their lair that Wand of Fire he possesses will be used till its last charge is spent before the guy even uses his own powers, let alone melee with a party :]

Gray Mouser

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
gary,

did the quickling and obliviax appear anywhere before the MM2 or was that their debut? :)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
Heh, well, when you put it that way the only thing I can think of is it's not cumbersome enough for the party to carry on their way out! ;)
the cruel Dm might make each of the "gems" a large piece of lapis lazuli, malachite, or jade. The weight of such "gems" would be a base 100 pounds, moving upwards is the value increased.

Of course explaining how the pit fiend carted them arouns would be a bit dodgy... :lol:

Oh, sure. And I'm sure if a Pit Fiend were encountered outside their lair that Wand of Fire he possesses will be used till its last charge is spent before the guy even uses his own powers, let alone melee with a party :]

Gray Mouser
Just so!

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads