TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Deuce Traveler said:
Hmmm... that's funny to hear. Troglodytes are my favorite lizard-like humanoid monsters in the game.

Hope they make 4th Ed. <ducks as the crowd reacts to the sensitive subject>
Just read a short analysis by James Mischler of what is likely to happen in regards to 4E. If he is close to predicting the matter, the new game will be more like an MMPORPG, and all older but recent versions of the D&D game will be generally neglected as have been OA/D&D and 2E.

Cheers,
Gary

tylerthehobo

Explorer
Yeah, the 4E rumors have begun in full force - more than just the trickle that had populated the boards over the past few years; the dam has broken, folks...

Gary, can you elaborate on what you've heard? I know it's 2nd or 3rd hand, but whatever you can say might help guide some of the conversation. (If you even want to get in the middle of all of that! :confused: )

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
tylerthehobo said:
Yeah, the 4E rumors have begun in full force - more than just the trickle that had populated the boards over the past few years; the dam has broken, folks...

Gary, can you elaborate on what you've heard? I know it's 2nd or 3rd hand, but whatever you can say might help guide some of the conversation. (If you even want to get in the middle of all of that! :confused: )
No, the post was on a confidential list, so I am not at liberty to say more. I'll email James and see if he will post here.

Cheers,
Gary

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
On a positive note, I think this will bode well for Castles and Crusades and Lejendary Adventures. The people who enjoy that style of RPG will continue to convert, methinks.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Deuce Traveler said:
On a positive note, I think this will bode well for Castles and Crusades and Lejendary Adventures. The people who enjoy that style of RPG will continue to convert, methinks.
That would be most agreeable. I have a good deal of material for the LA game system and the LE world setting yet to be published, and the Trolls are working on support material for that system and for their C&C game, of course...as I am also doing.

The two systems are different and fun, so why not encourage one or the other as a change of pace for groups playing either? I do that, and play both, with C&C as the change of pace ;)

Cheers,
Gary

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Col_Pladoh said:
That would be most agreeable. I have a good deal of material for the LA game system and the LE world setting yet to be published, and the Trolls are working on support material for that system and for their C&C game, of course...as I am also doing.

The two systems are different and fun, so why not encourage one or the other as a change of pace for groups playing either? I do that, and play both, with C&C as the change of pace ;)

Cheers,
Gary

Some friends of mine are in a location that non-WOTC products have trouble making it to. My closest friends and I have been looking at the freeware on the Troll Lords site and like what we've seen. I don't want to get into it here, but I've been talking to Troll Lords about trying to get their products in these areas where there isn't adequate hobby support. The Troll Lords rep has been very friendly, but he's literally swamped with e-mail it seems at times.

Out of the RPG fans I've talked to in order to gauge an interest in the products, many like the idea of Castles and Crusades, but feel that it's too close to DnD to warrant a change in product. However, I was very surprised by the great interest that Lejendary Adventures elicited. The new character advancement, hero templates, and creatures raised quite a few eyebrows. I think that if Troll Lords continues to put out quality products it has a good chance of pushing into the disgruntled WOTC fan base if they make 4E more of a MMORPG or card-collectible game. (Some say it might be more like the old Chainmail, which would be a bit more interesting to see than other rumors have made it sound.)

It will be good to peruse more of the Troll Lords products and I hope to be able to get my copy soon so I can show it off and see if there is a market in my friend's area.

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Deuce Traveler said:
It will be good to peruse more of the Troll Lords products and I hope to be able to get my copy soon so I can show it off and see if there is a market in my friend's area.
We are working with the Trolls on just that now, as we have been for the past few months. Expect some considerable new LA game material in various formats in the coming months.

Meanwhile, I am sending the URL of this post to them.

Cheers,
Gary

tylerthehobo

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
No, the post was on a confidential list, so I am not at liberty to say more. I'll email James and see if he will post here.

Cheers,
Gary

Thanks, Gary. I realize, too, that whatever's in the works is likely early in the planning stages, based on what little's been leaked over the past few days. No worries - just hoping for some detail that might put some of the fraying flamewars on the other threads to rest. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases