Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XI - Page 10

+ Log in or register to post
Page 10 of 52 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gideon_thorne
    Indeed. Its a sensable precaution called 'quality content control'.
    This is true: high quality is important to protect a brand name. Slipshod work really damages a for-profit company's reputation. But OSRIC isn't about profit or protecting intellectual property; it's left to the publishers to develop their IP and release or control it as they see fit, it's up to the publishers to maintain the quality of their OSRIC product lines. The thing about OSRIC is that there will be numerous publishers, and more product means more competition (even if it's mainly for reputation), more competition means higher quality - all within the same umbrella system. There will also, likely, be a lot of mediocre or bad material as well.

Anyway, OSRIC itself isn't really on topic; I just wanted to turn aside any misconception that there are two "camps;" in terms of using Mr. Gygax's Yggsburgh material, there's really no division.
    Swords & Wizardry - the 0e retro-clone: DOWNLOAD FREE

Nothing I write is to be construed as legal advice.

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Ignore grodog
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelHardisson
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    That sounds a good deal similar to the C&C game
    I'd be careful of saying that around the OSRIC loyal. Some of them seem to feel C&C is not a good alternative to AD&D, and only OSRIC will do to satisfy them. Personally, I find the OSRIC project to be quite interesting from the perspective of seeing just how ingenious fans can be when it comes to ensuring something they love survives. I hope it finds success. I also find C&C to be a really nice addition to the spectrum of games with their roots in D&D.
    Hopefully folks will remain civil about the differences between AD&D and OSRIC, C&C and HackMaster and such---these are just games we're talking about, eh?

For reference, in case anyone here's curious about OSRIC, you can download it from http://www.knights-n-knaves.com/osric/ The present version is still being edited, and if you have feedback, feel free to chime in at the discussion thread @ Dragonsfoot @ http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18537

Understood. I must say, though, thet the C&C game is sufficiently suitable in my books to use as the system for a version of the original Greyhawk Campaign as created by me with Rob Kuntz
    I'm very excited that this project is finally coming to fruition, Gary. Like Jeff, I vividly remember the days of scouring game stores for news and copies of T2, CG1, etc.

Is there any chance that you'd consider publishing the original maps and keys, one day, to give us all insight into the earliest origins of the game?

Hello Gary!
    Now, just to harken back to a couple of posts reagarding the creation a second edition for AD&D, back when you were still with TSR: so, when you were thinking about this at the the time, was it because you really felt the game needed it or was there some sort of demand from the gaming public at the time? Now, while I did play the 2e that did come out, I personally felt it was not a great improvement upon your original work, in fact, I always thought that a diluting occured (ranger class being a prime example) and one I never fully understood.
    Also, I'd like to contribute my comments in regards to the TSR module Castle Greyhawk: what a load of rubbish.
    And in regards to good modules, I really enjoyed Isle of the Ape. Great setting and just tons of fun. Thanks!

What? Me Worry?
    Defender (Lvl 8)

The Cleveland, OH area, but missing San Diego, CA

Ignore ColonelHardisson
    Gary, there is a clip of Stephen Colbert (of Comedy Central's very funny Colbert Report) on a website called You Tube. There is a viewer comment there about Colbert mentioning Gen Con X and his meeting of Len Lakofka made by someone purporting to be you, and I was curious if that commenter was, indeed, you.
    "Illegitimis non carborundum." - General Joseph Stilwell

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Ignore Deuce Traveler
    Ah, and Deuce Traveler...

My crew doesn't find my puns and shaggy dog stories amusing. They keep demanding that I get back to game mastering

Gary

Of course they do! There's gold in them hills and times-a-wastin'! I have a smart group playing my latest campaign. They avoid much bloodshed by going for the main objective and for as much treasure as they can scrounge up along the way before fleeing. However, the greedy curs also get restless if I get side-tracked.

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by grodog

Is there any chance that you'd consider publishing the original maps and keys, one day, to give us all insight into the earliest origins of the game?
    All I can say is that is highly doubtful

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by John Drake
    Hello Gary!
    Now, just to harken back to a couple of posts reagarding the creation a second edition for AD&D, back when you were still with TSR: so, when you were thinking about this at the the time, was it because you really felt the game needed it or was there some sort of demand from the gaming public at the time? Now, while I did play the 2e that did come out, I personally felt it was not a great improvement upon your original work, in fact, I always thought that a diluting occured (ranger class being a prime example) and one I never fully understood.
    Also, I'd like to contribute my comments in regards to the TSR module Castle Greyhawk: what a load of rubbish.
    And in regards to good modules, I really enjoyed Isle of the Ape. Great setting and just tons of fun. Thanks!
    Indeed, I wanted make the revised AD&D system more akin to the material in UA, to ass a few new character classes, and put in some skills ala those I added in the C&C game so as to make the characters, particularly the NPCs, less cookie-cuter.

As for the Isle of the Ape, most of my guys hared it, but I loved that module, as I love the original King King motion picture

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelHardisson
    Gary, there is a clip of Stephen Colbert (of Comedy Central's very funny Colbert Report) on a website called You Tube. There is a viewer comment there about Colbert mentioning Gen Con X and his meeting of Len Lakofka made by someone purporting to be you, and I was curious if that commenter was, indeed, you.
    Yes, that was me, as I set up the con at the Playboy Club. was responsible for Fritz and Harry Fisher being guests there, and of course knowing Len Lakofka well.

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Traveler
    Of course they do! There's gold in them hills and times-a-wastin'! ...
    Hot dog!

You are playing my PCs' tune

Cheers,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by haakon1
    Indeed. And you can go either way with the attacking/defending fortification stuff.

The best fun I ever had with D&D was having the players (plus lots of 0-level NPCs and a few better ones) defend the Keep on the Borderlands from an army of undead, bandits, and goblinoids. Lots of time and work to run it all, but very rewarding for me and the players. "The dungeon comes to you" is a neat concept to try.
    The point of this scenario is to turn the tables on my players. Now they will have to defend against adventurers, and with the typical goblinoid weapons at their disposal. They have the whole "storming the enemy stronghold" thing down pat. Now they get a taste of their own medicine. All the tricks they used as PCs will be used by the adventurers coming after their scalps.

That's the way our group is. If you come up with some kind of "razzle dazzle" play that sticks it to the enemy, you can bet an enemy will try it on you in the future!

For example, when I was playing, after the seventh or eighth time the dwarf fighter (who was always in front of my human fighter with a longbow) charged into the enemy and ruined my shot, I just decided "Screw it, I'm shooting anyway." and did. I ended up doing this several times and only hit the dwarf once. It was pretty much worth the risk. The next time we played, our party was attacked by a bunch of hobgoblins. Several charged and engaged the party in hand-to-hand while their comrades unleashed dozens of arrows into the melee. They killed and wounded several of their own, but also took down three party members out of eight.

Payback's a b!tch!

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 10 of 52 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast