Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XI - Page 15

What's on your mind?

What? Me Worry?
    Defender (Lvl 8)

The Cleveland, OH area, but missing San Diego, CA

Ignore ColonelHardisson
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Veil
    A 3rd edition Dragon Compendium has them printed.
    Yes, which I state right in the piece you quoted. My point in that post, if you read it, is that the versions of those classes in that book bear almost no resemblance to what Gary proposed, and that what he proposed can actually be covered in the 3e rules now.
    "Illegitimis non carborundum." - General Joseph Stilwell

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Hi Seskis281

It is good to learn that you like the LA game for play. From my perspective, it is also much easier to design and GM for it because of its rules-light nature and flexibility. that said, the C&C system is great for a class based RPG.

As for advice regarding dsign, I don't give that. It is really a matter of personal taste, that of the GM and player group. For example, if you like having a state that is as malign as the Empire ruled by John Ominor, and your players will appreciate such a place, it is "right." If not, it is not a good thing.

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexor the Mighty!
    Hello Gary! I have a question about your excellent Living Fantasy book. I haven't had time to read it all but I was looking through the section on social classes and I noticed that you have actors and such lumped in with the criminal underclass. Why is that?
    Heh...

Because historically such performers were considered just that--the bottom of the social class barrel. Of course the performers typically earned their reputation as knaves, swindlers, thieves and the like

And can you recommend any good books on the medieval time period that may further enlighten me on that period of time?

Thanks.
    Any of those books wkith a title including "life" and "medieval" or even "Renaissance". I can't give you a bibliography, as all of my reference books are where I can not conveniently access them

Cheers,
    Gary

Guide (Lvl 11)

Ignore haakon1
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    The rules being used were Chainmail fantasy, so there are no evil treants. Furthermore, there were two druids leading the forces, a part of which the blasted wooden thing assailed
    But Gary, the DM is always right. Or does that apply in Chainmail, since it's probably not called a DM?

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by haakon1
    But Gary, the DM is always right. Or does that apply in Chainmail, since it's probably not called a DM?
    No DM in the game!

It is a miniatures game, the official is called the judge or umpire, and arguing with him and the others against whom you are playing is mandatory

Gary

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore John Drake
    My communities:

Hi Gary, how are things? Very well, I hope. Anyway, just have a couple quick questions: since the LGGC has been the latest topic of discussion, the Chainmail game in particular, I was wondering, do you have a favourite miniatures game, overall? And, have you ever played Warhammer, and if so, what did you think? Thanks Gary!

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by John Drake
    Hi Gary, how are things? Very well, I hope. Anyway, just have a couple quick questions: since the LGGC has been the latest topic of discussion, the Chainmail game in particular, I was wondering, do you have a favourite miniatures game, overall? And, have you ever played Warhammer, and if so, what did you think? Thanks Gary!
    Ciao

I have historical periods for miniatures play that I enjoy. they are, in order of date:
    Ancient
    Medieval
    ECW
    Napoleonic
    Napoleonic naval
    ACW
    Victorian Colonial
    WW II
    WW II naval

I have played only one shoet game of Warhammer...not my cup of tea.

Cheers,
    Gary

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore seskis281
    My communities:

Thanks for the message - I understand and have to agree with you that it just really matters to the individual gaming group and that reminded me that I'm really just making the world that I'd want to play in, and that's good enough advice for me.

I think the same can be said for so much of the gaming world - do you get annoyed at posts that get hung up on arguing what is "right" or "wrong" in RPGing?

With that in mind this question isn't a "which is right," just a matter of curiosity - I noticed that one distinguishing difference between both your early AD&D and LA from other D&D (3e, d20 OGL, etc) is a preference for percentile die checks and more complex variance in use of dice from the standardization going on in much RPGing today. I've never been good at statistics (I'm a theatre guy - so story and character become pretty central to my games), but I remember vividly that one of the 1st things in the old DM's guide was a pretty statistical description of the use of dice and the percentiles involved.

So do you think percentile-based rolls give better variance for encounters and actions than say the d20 way of doing things? I guess what I'm curious about is if there was a mathematical reason for going this route or if it just was personal preference of yours as you developed your games.

Thanks again for letting all of us chat with you!

John W. Wright

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Ignore SuStel
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    A treant is neutral in regards to other alignments and does not attack without provocation
    You ignored his Don't Walk on the Grass signs. Isn't that enough?

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Howdy John,

Indeed, the best advice I can give is design to please yourself and your trusty gaming comrades so as to maximize the enjoyment generated by playing the campaign.

I do indeed get a bit fed up with disputes about which game is "best," for it is a matter or personal/group taste. The same with niggling over mechanics and rules. The RPG is a bloody GAME, after all is said and done.

As random events occur all the time in actual life, I am a firm believer in having the same thing happen in the role-playing game. Whether the probabilities for various random things are relatively equal as with a linear curve, or wildly disparate, as a bell curve with multiple dice delivers, no matter...aslong as the resulting event is approproate to the likelihood of it occuring when compred to the class of other such events in which it appears.

I do prefer the 100 possibilities of the d% roll to most others, and one can have additional rolls if needed to reflect decrasing probability of the indicated result.

Cheers,
    Gary

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 15 of 52 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast