Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XI - Page 35

What's on your mind?

Father of the Game
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Spell
    Good morning, Mr. Gygax. My question for you is a bit weird, but you are the only person I can think of that might have the answer.

I am consulting the first few issues of Dragon magazine, looking for cool rules I could steal for my OD&D game, and I can't help noticing that some of the issues contain fiction by Fritz Leiber, and articles from M.A.R. Barker... this surprises my to no ends.
    Given the fame of the two in fantasy circles (especially for Mr. Leiber), I would have thought that a niche magazine like Dragon, published by a relatively small company like TSR simply couldn't afford to pay for these articles and stories.

my question is: how did you do it?
    maybe TSR wasn't so small after all, or maybe I have a wrong idea of the inapproachability of relatively famous writers? or maybe there is some inside story that you might want to share with us?

thanks a lot!
    M.A.R. (Phil) Barker is hardly a renowned author He did publish his Empire of the Petal Throne RPG as well as his War of Wizards game through TSR. It is thus not unusual for articles by the Professor to appear in Dragon magazine.

I was in fairly regular communication with Fritz Leiber, TSR published the Lankhmar game based on his work, and he and his best pal, Harry Fischer were GoH at GenCon X. After the con Fritz stayed a week or so as my houseguest. While we got along famously, I do believe that Fritz was quite taken with my ex-wife, as he sent her a bronze statuette titled "Pirate Queen" after he returned to San Francisco.

At the time that Barker and Leiber were writing for the zine, TSR gross ranged from $500,000 to $2,000,000. That was indeed small potatoes in the business world.

Cheers,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    I was in fairly regular communication with Fritz Leiber, TSR published the Lankhmar game based on his work, and he and his best pal, Harry Fischer were GoH at GenCon X.
    Colonel, regarding the Lankhmar game you mentioned above, do you mean the City of Lankhmar setting for AD&D that TSR published or was this an actual game (table top, I assume, not RPG)? Can you give any details about the game, who was its primary designer, and how much Fritz Leiber was involved with it and what he thought of the whole project?

And, of course, belated but sincere wishes that you had a happy birthday!

Gray Mouser
    "Still, it appears that someone doesn't like us," Fafhrd opined.

"Was that ever news?" the Gray Mouser retorted.

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore MarauderX
    My communities:

I have been playing a bit of D&D Online, and was floored with glee when I saw that you had done the narration for one of the adventures. Thanks for doing it, and in a way it makes me feel like I have played with the master himself. Any future narrations on the way?
    Correl IV: Beneath the Surface | Correl.wikispaces.com

Novice (Lvl 1)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Captain NeMo
    A local game store to me sells some veerrryy cheap, veerrryy old RPG products. It has many AD&D adventures that appear to be in good condition, and all at around NZ$3.00.

Any personal favourites that you'd recommend I pick up if I spot 'em?
    Nothing is easier than to denounce the evildoer; nothing is more difficult than to understand him. - Fyodor Dostoevsky

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mouser
    Colonel, regarding the Lankhmar game you mentioned above, do you mean the City of Lankhmar setting for AD&D that TSR published or was this an actual game (table top, I assume, not RPG)? Can you give any details about the game, who was its primary designer, and how much Fritz Leiber was involved with it and what he thought of the whole project?

And, of course, belated but sincere wishes that you had a happy birthday!

Gray Mouser
    Heh...

I do believe there was a boardgame called Lankhmar for which Fritz supplied a fair amount of design material. When I asked him for stats on Pulg, he said there was no individual os that name as such, but represented the best warrior in the city. All of this was really a long time ago, and I have forgotten all else. Ah no! I recall I did the text for an event card that said, "Take a hike on the dike."

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by MarauderX
    I have been playing a bit of D&D Online, and was floored with glee when I saw that you had done the narration for one of the adventures. Thanks for doing it, and in a way it makes me feel like I have played with the master himself. Any future narrations on the way?
    Howdy!

I enjoy doing voice-over work, and I would be pleased to recorm additional lines, but the producers of the D&D game have not linhed that up, so I doubt if there will be more. An interview with me will be aired on Turner Broadcasting's Gametap website sometime soon...it is isn't already up.

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodjod
    A local game store to me sells some veerrryy cheap, veerrryy old RPG products. It has many AD&D adventures that appear to be in good condition, and all at around NZ$3.00.

Any personal favourites that you'd recommend I pick up if I spot 'em?

That's like asking me which of my children is my favorite...

Of course the ones with which I am really familiar are those I wrote or co-designed. Of those, the ones I most enjoyed DMing were G1-3. D1-3, S3, and T1 and Temple of Elemental Evil...although I must say that running The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth, Dungeonland, anf Isle of the Ape were fun for me if not uniformly enjoyed by the players All the others fall into a second place, including the ToH

Cheers,
    Gary
    Last edited by Col_Pladoh; Sunday, 30th July, 2006 at 05:05 PM.

Novice (Lvl 1)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Chad Peter
    Hey there, Gary! Always been a fan!

//wins the award for most unoriginal post//

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Peter
    Hey there, Gary! Always been a fan!

//wins the award for most unoriginal post//
    Howdy Chad,

What's in a post here, eh?

Sure did enjoy living out in the LA area, tipped many a bottle of beer at Barney's Beanery

Cheers,
    Gary

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore seskis281
    My communities:

Ahhh.. Barney's. Went there often when I lived in LA myself.... cheese fries and any beer from around the world.... I miss the menus as newspapers too lol
    John Maddog Wright

"In the Immortal Words of Socrates.... I Drank What!?"

Squire of the Castles & Crusades Society
    http://www.cncsociety.org/

Dreamer of Ilshara
    Ilshara: Lands of Exile

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 35 of 52 FirstFirst ... 252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast