Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XI - Page 36

What's on your mind?

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by seskis281
    Ahhh.. Barney's. Went there often when I lived in LA myself.... cheese fries and any beer from around the world.... I miss the menus as newspapers too lol
    Yuppers....

And not too far away used to be the Canard de Bombay with really excellent Indian cisine. I never did have the courage to try any dish beyond four stars, not six, eight, or the ten star that Timothy LEary said was a psychedelic experience

Cheers,
    Gary

Novice (Lvl 1)

Ignore Chad Peter
    Oh Barney's. Such interesting nights of drunken haze have occured there. It is quite the interesting place, I must say.

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Peter
    Oh Barney's. Such interesting nights of drunken haze have occured there. It is quite the interesting place, I must say.
    Ever go to the Sunset Saloon on Ocean Avenue at the north edge of Venice Beach? Whew!

Gary

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Ignore Treebore
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Ever go to the Sunset Saloon on Ocean Avenue at the north edge of Venice Beach? Whew!

Gary

If its the place I think your talking about it isn't the north edge of venice beach anymore.
    It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules, which is important. NEVER hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule book upon you, IF it goes against the obvious intent of the game. As you hew the line with respect to conformity to major systems and uniformity of play in general, also be certain the game is mastered by you and not by your players. Within the broad parameters give in the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Volumes, YOU are creator and final arbiter. By ordering things as they should be, the game as a WHOLE first, your CAMPAIGN next, and your participants thereafter, you will be playing Advanced Dungeons and Dragons as it was meant to be. May you find as much pleasure in so doing as the rest of us do.

-1E DMG, page 230

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Treebore
    If its the place I think your talking about it isn't the north edge of venice beach anymore.
    What do you mean? The edge of Venice Beash has moved, to the saloon is gone? Haven't been our there for about six years now.

I do know that Don the Beachcombers that was on the coast in Malibu got washed away. Pity that, as the "navy grog" they served was something else!

Cheers,
    Gary

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Ignore Treebore
    My communities:

This was two years ago, but IF I am remembering correctly either they somehow extended the edge of the beach (didn't see how that would be the case) or they moved closer to the "center". I could also just remembering a place with the word "saloon" in it.
    It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules, which is important. NEVER hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule book upon you, IF it goes against the obvious intent of the game. As you hew the line with respect to conformity to major systems and uniformity of play in general, also be certain the game is mastered by you and not by your players. Within the broad parameters give in the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Volumes, YOU are creator and final arbiter. By ordering things as they should be, the game as a WHOLE first, your CAMPAIGN next, and your participants thereafter, you will be playing Advanced Dungeons and Dragons as it was meant to be. May you find as much pleasure in so doing as the rest of us do.

-1E DMG, page 230

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore seskis281
    My communities:

This was two years ago, but IF I am remembering correctly either they somehow extended the edge of the beach (didn't see how that would be the case) or they moved closer to the "center". I could also just remembering a place with the word "saloon" in it.
    I can't remember that area of Venice as well - I have friends who own Small World Books in the center part, and the restaurant next to it, both near muscle beach area, but I just can't place the other parts. I moved to Louisiana in 99 and Wisconsin in 04, and I've only been back like 3 times for a few days since I moved away. I lived in Burbank and taught in Pasadena, so I know the valleys better.
    John Maddog Wright

"In the Immortal Words of Socrates.... I Drank What!?"

Squire of the Castles & Crusades Society
    http://www.cncsociety.org/

Dreamer of Ilshara
    Ilshara: Lands of Exile

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh

I was in the Sunset Saloon one afternoon with son Ernie and another chap, and two of the biggest, meanest, ugly-tempered bikers and their two cute little biker chicks came in and raised some real hell. It is a story that can be told only over a drink in non-mixed company.

Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by seskis281
    I can't remember that area of Venice as well - I have friends who own Small World Books in the center part, and the restaurant next to it, both near muscle beach area, but I just can't place the other parts. I moved to Louisiana in 99 and Wisconsin in 04, and I've only been back like 3 times for a few days since I moved away. I lived in Burbank and taught in Pasadena, so I know the valleys better.
    Too hot in the Valley, and the property values are much lower than they are to the south in Belleair, Beverly Hills, Pacific Pallisades and Santa Monica...

There is a Canard de Bombay in the Valley, though. Ever go to La Fritte?

Gary

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Ignore grodog
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mouser
    Colonel, regarding the Lankhmar game you mentioned above, do you mean the City of Lankhmar setting for AD&D that TSR published or was this an actual game (table top, I assume, not RPG)? Can you give any details about the game, who was its primary designer, and how much Fritz Leiber was involved with it and what he thought of the whole project?
    Gray Mouser, Lankhmar usually sells on eBay semi-regularly for $15-$70+, depending on condition and completeness. A recent auction is at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=290008290910 (this one sold quite cheaply), and the Boardgame Geek entry is at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/4025

If you want some more info about the credits listed in the rules, I'd be happy to go get the info for you.

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 36 of 52 FirstFirst ... 262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast