Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XI - Page 39

+ Log in or register to post
Page 39 of 52 FirstFirst ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast
    Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by grodog
    Hi Gary---

An ENWorld member was asking for some suggestions about expanding G1 Steading of the Hill Giant Chief in a thread @ http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=170490 and while looking over the maps last night, I wondered if you had re-used any of your old dungeon levels when creating maps for publication (similar to using Rob's El Raja Key level for the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth)?

edit: FYI, "Obliviax Moss" appeared as part of the Monster Cards before the MM2 was published
    howdy,

I do not comment on potential expansions of my old modules.

As a matter of fact I invited Rob to co-write the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth with me, after a couple of my PCs had adventured in his similarly mapped area. He declined, so I created a different map from that which he had made, and devised original encounters as well.

That's that

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelHardisson
    Gary, I don't recall this ever being asked (it may have been and I missed it), but how did the stinky reptilian creatures known in D&D as troglodytes come by that name? The word generally is used in reference to what are also known as cave men. I was just curious about the genesis of the D&D critter that has the name.
    As a part of the never-ending search for new critters to dismay PCs, I stretched a lot of established fantastic monsters to suit the need, just as I made up quite a few like things out of whole cloth or a mere depiction of name. It worked pretty well, eh?

Anyway, I thought underground dwellers might better be of non-mammalian sort, possibly even of the same genus as salamanders. Cave men could remain in the mis nicely under that heading

Cheers,
    Gary

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Ignore Deuce Traveler
    Hmmm... that's funny to hear. Troglodytes are my favorite lizard-like humanoid monsters in the game.

Hope they make 4th Ed. <ducks as the crowd reacts to the sensitive subject>
    Last edited by Deuce Traveler; Friday, 4th August, 2006 at 07:48 PM.

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Traveler
    Hmmm... that's funny to hear. Troglodytes are my favorite lizard-like humanoid monsters in the game.

Hope they make 4th Ed. <ducks as the crowd reacts to the sensitive subject>
    Just read a short analysis by James Mischler of what is likely to happen in regards to 4E. If he is close to predicting the matter, the new game will be more like an MMPORPG, and all older but recent versions of the D&D game will be generally neglected as have been OA/D&D and 2E.

Cheers,
    Gary

Yeah, the 4E rumors have begun in full force - more than just the trickle that had populated the boards over the past few years; the dam has broken, folks...

Gary, can you elaborate on what you've heard? I know it's 2nd or 3rd hand, but whatever you can say might help guide some of the conversation. (If you even want to get in the middle of all of that! )

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerthehobo
    Yeah, the 4E rumors have begun in full force - more than just the trickle that had populated the boards over the past few years; the dam has broken, folks...

Gary, can you elaborate on what you've heard? I know it's 2nd or 3rd hand, but whatever you can say might help guide some of the conversation. (If you even want to get in the middle of all of that! )
    No, the post was on a confidential list, so I am not at liberty to say more. I'll email James and see if he will post here.

Cheers,
    Gary

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Ignore Deuce Traveler
    On a positive note, I think this will bode well for Castles and Crusades and Lejendary Adventures. The people who enjoy that style of RPG will continue to convert, methinks.

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Traveler
    On a positive note, I think this will bode well for Castles and Crusades and Lejendary Adventures. The people who enjoy that style of RPG will continue to convert, methinks.
    That would be most agreeable. I have a good deal of material for the LA game system and the LE world setting yet to be published, and the Trolls are working on support material for that system and for their C&C game, of course...as I am also doing.

The two systems are different and fun, so why not encourage one or the other as a change of pace for groups playing either? I do that, and play both, with C&C as the change of pace

Cheers,
    Gary

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Ignore Deuce Traveler
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    That would be most agreeable. I have a good deal of material for the LA game system and the LE world setting yet to be published, and the Trolls are working on support material for that system and for their C&C game, of course...as I am also doing.

The two systems are different and fun, so why not encourage one or the other as a change of pace for groups playing either? I do that, and play both, with C&C as the change of pace

Cheers,
    Gary
    Some friends of mine are in a location that non-WOTC products have trouble making it to. My closest friends and I have been looking at the freeware on the Troll Lords site and like what we've seen. I don't want to get into it here, but I've been talking to Troll Lords about trying to get their products in these areas where there isn't adequate hobby support. The Troll Lords rep has been very friendly, but he's literally swamped with e-mail it seems at times.

Out of the RPG fans I've talked to in order to gauge an interest in the products, many like the idea of Castles and Crusades, but feel that it's too close to DnD to warrant a change in product. However, I was very surprised by the great interest that Lejendary Adventures elicited. The new character advancement, hero templates, and creatures raised quite a few eyebrows. I think that if Troll Lords continues to put out quality products it has a good chance of pushing into the disgruntled WOTC fan base if they make 4E more of a MMORPG or card-collectible game. (Some say it might be more like the old Chainmail, which would be a bit more interesting to see than other rumors have made it sound.)

It will be good to peruse more of the Troll Lords products and I hope to be able to get my copy soon so I can show it off and see if there is a market in my friend's area.
    Last edited by Deuce Traveler; Friday, 4th August, 2006 at 10:16 PM.

Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

Pathfinder Dragonlance

Ignore jonesy
    Plan B, Gary, they are on to you, go to plan B!

http://archive.gamespy.com/comics/no...s/Strip170.jpg

Heh.

My sarcasm detector is fusion powered. Yeah, that's powerful enough.

You are what you do.

Dragonlance.com Forums - The Dragonlance Lexicon - The Kencyclopedia

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 39 of 52 FirstFirst ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast