Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XI - Page 43

What's on your mind?

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Ignore Treebore
    My communities:

Well, i'll refrain from saying any more since I don't want to risk getting in some kind of argument with him.
    It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules, which is important. NEVER hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule book upon you, IF it goes against the obvious intent of the game. As you hew the line with respect to conformity to major systems and uniformity of play in general, also be certain the game is mastered by you and not by your players. Within the broad parameters give in the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Volumes, YOU are creator and final arbiter. By ordering things as they should be, the game as a WHOLE first, your CAMPAIGN next, and your participants thereafter, you will be playing Advanced Dungeons and Dragons as it was meant to be. May you find as much pleasure in so doing as the rest of us do.

-1E DMG, page 230

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Treebore
    Well, i'll refrain from saying any more since I don't want to risk getting in some kind of argument with him.
    That is understandable. Why make unnecessary enemies? As a matter of fact, Rob's ideas about creating and marketing are quite different from my own, as I recently discovered. After much thought I simply accepted Rob's initial resignation from co-authoring the castle project and the expanded DMing anecdote collection as there is no common ground from which to work.

Cheers,
    Gary

Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

Ignore Melkor
    That's somewhat bad news Gary - I know it would have been a lot easier on you had the two of you been able to work on material together.

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Melkor
    That's somewhat bad news Gary - I know it would have been a lot easier on you had the two of you been able to work on material together.
    Spot on!

As Rob adventured a lot in my original castle, I in his, and we also co-DMed groups, we knew each others style, and what the castle should "feel" like, what the mysterious areas were all about, etc.

Working without him means I have to a great deal additional explanatory material for the growing list of special encounters I have on hand, expend a lot of rime communication with another writer or team of same, carefully content edit each piece of the project.

SOme semi-retirement

Cheers,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Okay, and a couple is two, so I'll answer that many

The three hardbound LA game core rule books will be a revised and ex[anded edition

That's great news and I will be there with bells on...I hope to pre-order soon...

Piazo is considering reprinting the Magister Setne Inhetep fantasy mysteries. They are related to the whole of DJ game system, as they were set on the Mythus world setting, but being novels they could be set in some other fantasy earth without a problem. I wrote Necroplis adventure during the time I was working on the first or second of the novels--can't say which, but they are not connected to that module.
    They really should reprint them, I have no reservations recommending them to my friends...

I do not own the rights to Necropolis, so I can not convert it to the LA game system
    Too bad eh!!! I love the Egyptian theme. I saw the King Tut exhibit down here in Miami (last year) and it really inspired me. The dagger and crown were beyond cool...

Meantime, the many modules detailing the Town of Yggsburgh and its suburban areas are moving along well, about half in for content edition, and the remainder slated to be completed from late this month through November. The Trolls plan to release initially them in pdf format, in batches of four or so, I believe. As there are 24 total, each of rather sizeable proportions, 64 pages, this will make the place about the most detailed large fantasy community game setting.

The castle and dungeons will be done too, and that should pick up steam late this year.
    Wow, that's a lot of modules...I hope I recognize some names but I'll try them anyways. I really feel that CZ is one of your best works and I'm just hoping you can do something similar in the future for the LA system. (since I get to DM LA!) An adventure supplement like that for LA would be cool.

As I mentioned, I have limiterd energy and have semi-retired, so it is not likely that I;ll be writing more novels. Frankly, I have too many game projects to oversee and work on, as well as business matters that seem to eat up a lot of time.
    Yes, I see that time is actually finite after all. Now, with Rob dropping out it will become more of a "problem". If it comes it comes and patience and confidence go hand in hand. I think things are going in the right direction for you either way. Positive thoughts heading your way...I hope there's no hard feelings between you guys and you still remain friends.

Having fun with RPGs, and sort of game, is one of the things I enjoy most. Great to learn you are knocking yourself out with the new material. Just don't burn out!

I'm getting my gaming in with my son before he hits the dreaded teen years (16-19) and start "breaking away". (he's 12 now) I hope I'm still here when the fires of rebellion die down and we can keep gaming.

Blue

PS- Hey I "saw" you for the first time when I watched the DVD feature from the D&D second movie.(Wrath of the Dragon god) You looked good and my TV didn't break. I'm definitely keeping this DVD so I can show my friends what The Father of RPG's looks like. (fairly normal)
    Last edited by Blustar; Monday, 7th August, 2006 at 12:22 AM.

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Ignore Treebore
    My communities:

You don't own the rights to Necropolis? Is this the same one you did with Necromancer/White Wolf? If so, well, are you sure? I know today Necromancers practice is for co-ownership. Maybe WW had too much influence on contracts back in the beginning of d20?

I'll say two things about Necropolis. It has awesome Egyptian feel, and you are still the master of making *#@$*!!#&@ **## deadly traps!!
    It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules, which is important. NEVER hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule book upon you, IF it goes against the obvious intent of the game. As you hew the line with respect to conformity to major systems and uniformity of play in general, also be certain the game is mastered by you and not by your players. Within the broad parameters give in the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Volumes, YOU are creator and final arbiter. By ordering things as they should be, the game as a WHOLE first, your CAMPAIGN next, and your participants thereafter, you will be playing Advanced Dungeons and Dragons as it was meant to be. May you find as much pleasure in so doing as the rest of us do.

-1E DMG, page 230

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Blustar
    That's great news and I will be there with bells on...I hope to pre-order soon...
    The trolls have a lot of work to do to put in all the corrections, additions and so forth. Before that happens the two core rules supplements will eb offered as pdf, maybe even as paperback books. these are Tome of Knowledge and More Beasts of Lejend.

They really should reprint them, I have no reservations recommending them to my friends...
    Erik Mona is putting the matter of the Setne Inhetep books to his superiuors at Piazo, so tell him

Too bad eh!!! I love the Egyptian theme. I saw the King Tut exhibit down here in Miami (last year) and it really inspired me. The dagger and crown were beyond cool...
    As a lad my father often took me to the Egyptian exhibits in the Field Museum.

[/QUOTE]Wow, that's a lot of modules...I hope I recognize some names but I'll try them anyways. I really feel that CZ is one of your best works and I'm just hoping you can do something similar in the future for the LA system. (since I get to DM LA!) An adventure supplement like that for LA would be cool.[/QUOTE]
    Each will have the Yggsburgh name as the first word in its title.

Yes, I see that time is actually finite after all. Now, with Rob dropping out it will become more of a "problem". If it comes it comes and patience and confidence go hand in hand. I think things are going in the right direction for you either way. Positive thoughts heading your way...I hope there's no hard feelings between you guys and you still remain friends.
    Gone are the days when one thinks that life goes on forever, eh?

I'm getting my gaming in with my son before he hits the dreaded teen years (16-19) and start "breaking away". (he's 12 now) I hope I'm still here when the fires of rebellion die down and we can keep gaming.

Blue
    Yuppers, a good plan. Son Alex, age 19 now works two jobs and has a girlfriend, so he doesn't game with me any more. Son Luke is off on the West Coast, married, and doesn't game with me either. Oldest son Ernie hosts a group of us to pplay boardgames but doesn't do much RPGing any longer.

PS- Hey I "saw" you for the first time when I watched the DVD feature from the D&D second movie.(Wrath of the Dragon god) You looked good and my TV didn't break. I'm definitely keeping this DVD so I can show my friends what The Father of RPG's looks like. (fairly normal)
    Heh!

I am right easy to see. Just drop by here most anytime. A fair number of folks do that, making an appointment first to be sure I'm around

Cheers,
    Gary

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Ignore JohnRTroy
    My communities:

You don't own the rights to Necropolis? Is this the same one you did with Necromancer/White Wolf?
    TSR/WoTC acquired the rights to all published Dangerous Journeys stuff when TSR/GDW and co came up with a settlement in 1994.

Necromancer went to Wizards directly and licensed the rights to the adventure and converted it to 3e D&D. I'm sure if Gary still owned Necropolis, it might have become a LA adventure instead.

Someday I wish somebody would bring back Epic of Aerth. That product is the only one you can't get a PDF of from Paizo (Mythus and Mythus Magick are available for $4.00 each), and it's a great setting, with minimal game rules involved in the work and a lot of hints regarding creatures and it would make for a great setting for just about any game--LA, any edition of D&D, etc.

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    You don't own the rights to Necropolis? Is this the same one you did with Necromancer/White Wolf? If so, well, are you sure? I know today Necromancers practice is for co-ownership. Maybe WW had too much influence on contracts back in the beginning of d20?

I'll say two things about Necropolis. It has awesome Egyptian feel, and you are still the master of making *#@$*!!#&@ **## deadly traps!!

The fellows at Necromancer games got the license for Necropolis from WotC, the owner of the copyright to the work via acquisition of TSR.

There are indeed some fiendish traps in that module

Cheers,
    Gary

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Ignore Treebore
    My communities:

OK. I never realized that. Explains everything, then.

-1E DMG, page 230

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 43 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3334353637383940414243444546474849505152 LastLast